Human v Goblins advice?

TV difference 230k
    My roster has only 10 atm - will start with 1 loner lineman.
    His roster is filled with all S.Weapons, 2 Trolls and gobbos. All 16 of them.

What sort of inducement should i take to limit his secret weapons?
    I was thinking wizard scroll lightning bolt to take out his fanatic immediately. 150k
    And then hiring a merc lineman for 80k to add reserve player.

Skills of his to note:
    - A +STR Gobbo
    - 2 Side Stepping Gobbos
    - And a Sneaky Git
    - Pogoer - Sure Feet, Sprinter - most definitely the ball carrier who leaps over my line.
    - Looney - Mighty Blow
    - Troll - One with Guard - may be a problem.

My roster has an ogre, a blitzer and a thrower missing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    You realise your loner will eat into your TV gap right? if so 200 gets you a wizard as a cage deterrent and a babe. If you receive and you get a 2 turn TV (the wizard can help in that) he'll start losing secret weapons, if you kick you stop him making a 8 turn drive, that's the worst case vs goblins as that means they get maximum bang for the secret weapons. Dont disregard the chainsaw, its him that will cause the most suffering.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I think you meant 2 Turn TD*
    I read and re-read your statement there before I could get it .

:) For chainsaw, I'd probably just blitz him at every turn.
    The biggest issue for me is that I don't have any tacklers in the team.
    That will make their dodging out of TZ very easy. But yes. Fireball Wiz when they cage is probably perfect. Bolt on a dangerous Looney/Fanatic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    - None of his goblins have block. Your blitzers do. They have a fair chance of killing his guys. Don't worry too much about the lack of tackle.

- Elect to receive if you can and either score quickly (if he has secret weapons on the pitch) or take your time (if he doesn't).

- Don't use the wizard to hurt his players. A wizard should be used to either get you a TD, or prevent one of his - only use it when you think you'll do one of these things. Use the lightning bolt rather than fireball if you can.

- You are right to want to blitz his looney every turn until it is dead. Remember that the looney hasn't got dodge, so a blitzer has a good chance of killing it.

- Don't be scared of marking up his goblins 1-to-1 with your players. Goblin dodging is very unreliable - 11% chance of failure each time. That means if he tries 3 dodges then there is a 30% chance of failing at least 1, with no reroll.

- Feed linemen to his trolls to keep them away from the action.

- Remember his trolls have "really stupid". That means they need a standing goblin near them or they go dumb on a 4+. If you can get them away from the scrum then he'll have a hard time getting them back to the action.

- He can't move and throw a bomb, so if you get a guy to stand next to his bomber he pretty much can't throw anything without taking a huge risk.

- Run a fast player into his backfield when he has the ball. This will mean he has to do a "proper" cage, rather than screening you out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I don't tell other players how to beat goblins! >:(

Also I think your dodging math is a bit off there, Everblue. 11% on 3 goblins dodging once each does add up to just under 30%, but one goblin making 3 dodges will have the benefit of a TRR if he spends his Dodge skilll on the first or second dodge.

EDIT: It's still much better odds than a Dodge-less elf-less team's linemen (70% failure) accomplishing the same thing! :)
    Last edited by Screwie; 09-01-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    (8/9)^3 = 0.7 ish.

I was imagining three goblins dodging out of contact with three strong angry human players. Completely take the point about the team reroll, I should have been more specific.

No worries, it was a bit pedantic of me I admit.

I can't believe this other player took Mighty Blow on his looney, though. What a waste! (Unless we're conflating looney and fanatic here, as often happens!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    conflating looney and fanatic here
    Stop stealing my words, damn you!

A key point about the fanatic - due to the special rules to do with the ball and chain he is very easy to remove from the pitch as any knockdown is a guaranteed KO. As such it may be worth as the last action of a turn going 2d against on a hit on the fanatic as you have a 25% chance of removing him from the pitch without a reroll and 43.8% with a team reroll.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Those numbers assume you have block, is that right?

Unless the fanatic also has block, it doesn't matter.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    The goblins will implode by themselves and with a little help from Nuffle (Nuffle hates Goblins). I wouldn't worry about the match.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Unless the fanatic also has block, it doesn't matter.
    Ah yes, I understand now. Thanks Screwie!

Ah yea, I double checked, it's his fanatic.
    He has 4 RR 4 Cheerleaders 4 A. Coaches
    Kinda wary.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    You are the bashy team in this match up, so bash bash bash.

If you receive, charge up one wing and look to pass and catch to score in 2 turns, getting all the goblin weapons sent off (as he'll have no bribes?).

If you kick, use your blitzers to get stuck into all his 'normal' goblins, force him to consider the thrown team mate. It's a GOOD thing if he scores in only a turn or two, as again, all his weapons will be sent off. For that reason he's likely to delay. A cage won't last long against a human team as it's easy to take out the corners so I wouldn't bother with the lightning bolt. Assuming you've got an ogre, tie up a troll with him and use the journeyman lineman to tie up the other. Keep away from the fanatic, he's not dangerous unless you park lots of players near him. Alawys blitz the chainsaw, easily the most dangerous player the goblins have. Park another lineman up against the bomber ASAP and then just keep tying up the remaining goblins. I don't know what I'd do with the inducement. Maybe grab another reroll or two if your team is a bit unskilled, maybe get a journeyman with tackle for good goblin-slying prowess.

Job done, I'd be surprised if he's at more than 1/2 strength by halftime with a bit of help from Nuffle ;-).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    Assuming you've got an ogre,
    He doesn't, that's where the problems come in. He's also down a Blitzer.