Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Ok then, the inaugural Absolute Bedlam Amateur Dota 2 Tournament will kick off on the 11th of February.
    There's still plenty of time left to submit team your team, registration closes on the 27th. Details available here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...eur-tournament
    Tom on twitter just now.

Hah, beat me to it. I'll be updating the first post with details when I'm home from work.
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Activated Node
    Think you can contact Valve and make this an official tournament that shows up in the tournament tab? Don't know their requirements, but might be worth trying.

Obscure Node
    Added myself in the Ronin section, might found a team and change that, though. (That is, if I don't get a decent captain's invitation, I don't intend to join teams then leave them)

Quote Originally Posted by mrwonko View Post
    Think you can contact Valve and make this an official tournament that shows up in the tournament tab? Don't know their requirements, but might be worth trying.
    I've given it a shot :)
    - Wizardry

Don't forget, registration for the Absolute Bedlam Amateur Dota 2 Tournament ends on the 28th. Sign up now!

There are currently twelve people signed up as Ronins. If you guys coordinate, that's two full teams.
    - Wizardry

Obscure Node
    I would also like the join the tournament if that's possible.

It absolutely is, have a look in the first post for the sign up spreadsheet.
    - Wizardry

Activated Node
    Really looking forward to casting. I think it'd be appropriate to talk about some of the basics of the game since it's an Amateur tournament - ideally I'd like the players to be able to listen to my casting afterwards and know how to improve. That, and I couldn't talk about advanced stuff anyway.

We have quite some casters, will we have multiple casters per game? It often improves casting, especially if the people know each other, but it may also fail miserably. Take me, for example: I tend to talk a lot, and while that's probably (hopefully?) great for casting something on my own it might not work as well when teaming up.

Maybe we could do some warmup games? Well, in a way the whole tournament is, right?

Incidentally, if you're looking for an extra caster or co-caster for a game, I will be glad to help out.

Obscure Node
    just wondering. Are you THE pyrion flax? The one with the best guides ever and who plays with Purge sometimes?

Technically, yes I am.

Another call for admins here. We could really do with people to sign up and help us out with this bit. It will mostly involve just spectating a few games. If you'd be able to help with that, please sign up on the spreadsheet. We need as many as can possibly get.
    - Wizardry

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwonko View Post
    Really looking forward to casting. I think it'd be appropriate to talk about some of the basics of the game since it's an Amateur tournament - ideally I'd like the players to be able to listen to my casting afterwards and know how to improve. That, and I couldn't talk about advanced stuff anyway.

We have quite some casters, will we have multiple casters per game? It often improves casting, especially if the people know each other, but it may also fail miserably. Take me, for example: I tend to talk a lot, and while that's probably (hopefully?) great for casting something on my own it might not work as well when teaming up.

Maybe we could do some warmup games? Well, in a way the whole tournament is, right?
    We've got the tournament trial run with the casual dota chums if you wish to practice casting. TBH, just being on mumble when we're getting a random 5v5 going would do, you could then cast that and we can post it on the Steam group and forum. I like to watch games I've played when casted cause the caster often draws attention to the mistakes you made (which are many) that you probably wouldn't notice yourself.

Have signed up as a ronin!! Sounds like a great idea though, even if I can't find a team I will be watching with great interest!!

If Mr. Pyrion Flax could give this tournament some publicity on his youtube channel that would increase the number of teams and hopefully increase the amounts of fun for everyone.

I will register my team soon.

Good job on the tournament.

Activated Node
    There are like 18 teams already and I am sure there will be more. I don't know how much more we would be able to handle.
    Since no one seems to want to pick me up *sob*, I think I have to try and organize a team myself as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Addict View Post
    If Mr. Pyrion Flax could give this tournament some publicity on his youtube channel that would increase the number of teams and hopefully increase the amounts of fun for everyone.

I will register my team soon.

Good job on the tournament.

I will happily promote this but I don't quite know how to do it. Also I think Team Liquid, Gosu gamers and Reddit will do a far, far better job of promoting it. Aren't we just after teams that are sort of...casters and people who make videos? I don't think my channel is really the best way to get to those people. Just sayin.

I think PF and MrMud have a point, while I do have a plan for the future that involves many, many teams, at the moment any more than 30 will start becoming an administrative nightmare for a first event. Another thing about keeping it relatively small is that it's also really important to me that we have the right sort of friendly atmosphere for the first tournament. There's plenty of time for the sort of hate filled maelstrom that most communities descend into later.

I'd really like to see the Ronins start to coalesce into teams, there's about four hundred of you now!

Still looking for admins, there are now around one hundred players involved and there's still five days left to register. For this to be a success, I'm going to need as much help as possible and I can only demand so much of my friends' time! Admin-ing will be much like Project Mayhem, you decide your own level of involvement. At the most basic level, you'll be spectating a couple of games a week, being the point of contact for the two captains, starting the lobby and ensuring the rules are followed. If you can help out with this, please add your contact details on the spreadsheet.

Edit: once registration is over, that is when we bomb for publicity, I want the whole Internet to see us fail at dota.
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 22-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    - Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by mrmud View Post
    There are like 18 teams already and I am sure there will be more. I don't know how much more we would be able to handle.
    Since no one seems to want to pick me up *sob*, I think I have to try and organize a team myself as well...
    What TZ are you in mate?

Quote Originally Posted by PyrionFlax View Post
    I will happily promote this but I don't quite know how to do it. Also I think Team Liquid, Gosu gamers and Reddit will do a far, far better job of promoting it. Aren't we just after teams that are sort of...casters and people who make videos? I don't think my channel is really the best way to get to those people. Just sayin.
    Your channel appeals to a lot of dota 2 players though, including amateurs. Was thinking it would attract more participants into the tournament, if that is necessary?

Also, as mrmmud mentioned, not sure how much the organizers are able to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom OBedlam View Post
    I think PF and MrMud have a point, while I do have a plan for the future that involves many, many teams, at the moment any more than 30 will start becoming an administrative nightmare for a first event. Another thing about keeping it relatively small is that it's also really important to me that we have the right sort of friendly atmosphere for the first tournament. There's plenty of time for the sort of hate filled maelstrom that most communities descend into later.

I'd really like to see the Ronins start to coalesce into teams, there's about four hundred of you now!

Still looking for admins, there are now around one hundred players involved and there's still five days left to register. For this to be a success, I'm going to need as much help as possible and I can only demand so much of my friends' time! Admin-ing will be much like Project Mayhem, you decide your own level of involvement. At the most basic level, you'll be spectating a couple of games a week, being the point of contact for the two captains, starting the lobby and ensuring the rules are followed. If you can help out with this, please add your contact details on the spreadsheet.

Edit: once registration is over, that is when we bomb for publicity, I want the whole Internet to see us fail at dota.
    And this pretty much answers my questions :)

About admin: I might be able to help admin as well, but need to double check my time commitments first.

Adding on publicity: P Flax has tens of thousands of views on his dota videos. I'm pretty sure if he makes a video about the tournament a lot of publicity will be created. The internet will see us fail miserably at dota 2.
    Last edited by Cookie Addict; 22-01-2013 at 06:09 PM.