Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetchy View Post
    Couldn't you guys just increase the amount of teams so we can all get to play? :o
    Depends on what we're going to play. Eventually, we'll want some kind of elimination - that'll require a power of 2 of teams, as of the 32 teams starting there'll be 16 left in the next round, then 8, then 4, then 2, then 1. Although we probably won't start that way, it might be 4 groups of 8 teams with the best 4 of each advancing to the elimination round, starting at 16. But there's no need to take the best 4 out of 8 - it could be 4 out of 10 advancing as well, allowing for 40 teams.

But I don't know how tom plans to do this. Tom?

Obscure Node
    I vote for 40 teams!

Man, I didn't even think I was going to get eight teams involved and I wanted to run it over a fortnight. While, theoretically, I would love to have 40 teams because I want as many people involved as possible, i'm not sure how much I'm capable of for this first event. Forty teams means that I'm attempting to coordinate over two hundred people, plus casters. Time wise, 40 teams splits into eight groups of five, and each group will have nine fixtures meaning that I have to coordinate 80 games in the group phase alone. Assuming then that we only take the top team in each group, the elimination phase will consist of a further 16 games, which gives us 96 games to coordinate. Then, as the final is a best of three, we've got another two games, bringing us to 98 games. Assuming an average of two games a night, that leaves the total length of the tournament at just under two months.

Thirty-two teams, however, divides into eight groups of four, which gives six games per group and 48 games in total. So the full event will be 56 games. Not too mention the fact that the total number of humans I need to coordinate drops by 40.

As we stand, I already need more admins to volunteer to cope with the workload I have. I hope this makes sense, this is my first ever attempt at running an event like this and I want to put on the best show within my abilities. This is will - hopefully - be the first event of many, but for it to be a success I need to not take on too much, too soon.
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 28-01-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Obscure Node
    I can try to help if you like, hit me up on steam

Steam: Zetchy

I would love to help in any way I can (casting, moderating, etc.). Just look me up on steam (Rogue3570).

Obscure Node
    I (also) can co-cast, I'm not an experienced enough caster to be the lead, but I know enough about the game to provide insights (I think)

I dunno, just trying to assist in any way possible!

Awesome. Guys, if anyone wants to get involved on the running things side, please put email addresses on the spreadsheet. I'm going to start sending out mass emails today with details.

thanks for the support, this will be awesome
    - Wizardry

Activated Node
    If only the top team from each group gets past the group stage, have you considered double elimination instead?
    Scheduling would be harder but the total number of games would be about the same and you don't risk the best two teams knocking each other out in the group stage.

Obscure Node
    Whoops, appears my team forgot to enter.

Oh well, I have put myself down for casting and admin. Have fraps too so can put stuff on youtube etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mrmud View Post
    If only the top team from each group gets past the group stage, have you considered double elimination instead?
    Scheduling would be harder but the total number of games would be about the same and you don't risk the best two teams knocking each other out in the group stage.
    I did consider that, but taking into account the differences in ability levels of teams, I'd rather give every team three definite games than two definite games. It just keeps more teams involved for longer. For the second season, I'll be using the results of this first event to seed teams, but I just don't have enough data right now.

Tonight or tomorrow, I will be sending out an email to all teams, casters and admins explaining the tournament rules and how everything works out on the admin side.
    - Wizardry

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom OBedlam View Post
    For the second season, I'll be using the results of this first event to seed teams, but I just don't have enough data right now.
    Assuming you have the same teams, even the professional dota players cant seem to keep their teams stable for very long so I don't know how us scrubs are going to manage :)

Quote Originally Posted by mrmud View Post
    Assuming you have the same teams, even the professional dota players cant seem to keep their teams stable for very long so I don't know how us scrubs are going to manage :)
    Hah yes, that's true. I will recognise the player names, hopefully.
    - Wizardry

Obscure Node
    Signed up as a co-caster as well! Contact me as needed :)

Activated Node
    I may be to late to help out as an admin, but if you are still interested I signed up. :)

Right then registered team captains, an email has been sent to everyone who has given me an email address. Everyone who hasn't, get on it. We have many teams waiting for drop outs, so I will have to ruthless if I can't get hold teams in the next couple of days so I'll have to start subbing back ups in.

Atrophy, we always need more admins :)
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 29-01-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    - Wizardry

I'll also need the email addresses for back up teams, please.
    - Wizardry

Activated Node
    Some of you are pretty good... this will be exciting.

Obscure Node
    Can't wait!

Activated Node
    So are no more teams allowed? There's a ton of ronin signed up (including me). Someone email us and let's get a team together.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by noxnoctum View Post
    So are no more teams allowed? There's a ton of ronin signed up (including me). Someone email us and let's get a team together.
    You're currently signed up on team Shichinin no Samurai (team 29 of 32) as cc//Nox, a ronin team led by WinstonBorges. If you are not on this team please let your confused former captain know, or contact your captain and get practicing together.