Hybrid View

Obscure Node

Getting a PC Headset to work with a PS3

Fear not I have not betrayed the high pastures of PC gaming nor the noble steed (desktop) on which I ride through them and which you helped me build.

But there are some exclusives I wanted a ps3 for like Valkyria Chronicles and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Anyway I have the PS3 and it runs fine. The problem is I don't have a good telly. I do however have a 23 inch monitor (the viewsonic reccomended in hard choices).

I got a HDMI to DVI cable and the video works fine but my monitor has no speakers so I need a way to get sound out of my PS3.

The plan was to use my Asus Vulcan headset with it. I figured it wouldn't be hard, get a usb sound adapter and bam. I've tried two different ones and both don't seem to work. I realised the need to install drivers after testing them on my PC so I'm guessing that's why.

So how can I use my headset with my PS3? I'm assuming (perhaps stupidly) that if the PS3 is in HDMI mode I can't put a scart block in the back and use the sound output from that at the same time?

I think getting an X jacker kit (http://www.xjacker.com/xjackerps3kit.php) is probably the solution but I can't find anywhere to order them in the UK.

Can anyone help, either with some other solution or a place I can buy an Xjacker in the UK, or a way to import one?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Network Hub
    In the PS3 menus, go to Settings > Sound and you can choose how audio is output. You can have video on HDMI and the sound out on either the optical or scart connections simultaneously. I don't know how you'd get the mic working but getting sound out is straightforward enough.