Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Sorry to double-post, but I wanted to express something:

The more I play other rhythm games the more I realize what I like so much about Bit.Trip, Sequence and Rock Band.

Not only do they sync to the music well, but I was always able to pick out what I'm supposed to be listening for. In Rock Band it's partially because you only play one instrument at a time. But there's more to it then that. In the best Rock Band songs and in the entirety of Sequence and Bit.Trip.Beat I felt like the mapping of music to mechanics was done with a great deal of intelligence. In a lot of otherwise fine rhythm games, I find that the choice of which notes to make mechanically enforced and which notes to add with higher difficulties ends up feeling off to the point that sometimes groking the song can hinder as much as help.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing--the game can still be an interesting challenge when this happens. I have to puzzle out what line these notes are. What rhythm IS that? What subdivision is that supposed to be? What instrument do I follow here? Have we switched to drum lines? Ah, yes we have ... but somehow the three games I mentioned above get rid of most of the guess work. In the case of Sequence and Bit.Trip, it's all about flow because the rest feels so natural.

To use a specific game: fairly frequently in Osu! I'll feel punished not only for being awful at the game (I'm really awful at it) but also for reading the music differently than the beatmap does and expecting different things--and some of the time I think the beatmap is not just different but at fault. That's an experience I never have with Bit.Trip or Sequence and both games seem to achieve this in different ways. In Rock Band it was far less common--probably because it's a high enough budget game that there was a lot of editing of the songs and even of the automated tools. The difficulty scaling felt really weird and awful in older Rock Band World Tour (the only other one I've palyed) but really solid in Rock Band III.

Just what I'm thinking as I go through a bunch of these.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Huh. Good to know. I don't mind as much, now that I understand it (thanks), but I'm not sure I like it. There's always no fail mode if I'm not good enough or I just don't like the system (most likely the former). :)

To use a specific game: fairly frequently in Osu! I'll feel punished not only for being awful at the game (I'm really awful at it) but also for reading the music differently than the beatmap does and expecting different things--and some of the time I think the beatmap is not just different but at fault.
    If you can try the DS games, they're a bit better designed than community-driven OSU!, latest levels are difficult but never unfair. Except Ready, Steady, Go!! fuck that song. It was the final level of the first game so there was no balance and they blew it off the roof.

Last edited by pakoito; 11-01-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    If you can try the DS games, they're a bit better designed than community-driven OSU!, latest levels are difficult but never unfair. Except Ready, Steady, Go!! fuck that song. It was the final level of the first game so there was no balance and they blew it off the roof.

Sadly I don't have a DS. As for the level, damn that looked pretty nasty. But it's not worse than some of the Hard (or even a few Normal) difficulty maps I've encountered so far in Osu!, even ignoring the added difficulty of using a mouse.

Maybe I can bum a DS off a friend. I'll see if anyone has a copy. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

The OSU maps have overlapping circle patterns Nintendo actively avoided, and also artificially increased difficulty due to your own fat fingers are covering new circlestrings because the creator didn't take into account finger position while playing.
    Last edited by pakoito; 11-01-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Obscure Node
    Why all answer only about audiosurf and rockers bla bla games ... why always all forget about this little rhythm gem ,
    Mevo and the grooveriders (2009) , here's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMdXOSdIUm4
    and second you can try emulator of PS2 , there was two cool thythm game'sFrequancy (2001) and Amplitude (2003)
    and third also on emulator of Wii or Nintendo Ds Rhythm fever
    p.s. all this 4 games are good synced with rythm and let you feel feadback from game, on how good you taping on gamepad or keyboard .
    p.s.2 also you can search game called REZ , was released for PS2 and Dreamcast ( dreamcast emulator are almost perfect emulate this game , i tried it few years ago on my old pentium 4 , so now it must be perfect )

sorry for my english i'm not english speaking , but i love rhythm games very much , thats why i registered for answer to your question , honestly i was searching in google for some new rhtm game )))) and found this topic . cheers

Thanks! I'll take a look at these. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bit Trip Runner2 really is a rhythm game and NOT an endless runner as many people seem to see/play it. If you don't 'get' the rhythm from the music you WILL fail some levels - it's really, really, really MEAN in places and the key to the timing is in the tune (and when it's not well done - which a few bits aren't - there begins the FURY!) :)

The best rhythm game I've ever played is probably Frequency (PSX) but a damned-close runner-up is the PSP version of Rock Band (Unplugged) which is really a spiritual successor (same developer?). It's only real problem is that you will have muscle-spasming CLAWS for hands after a while - but it has an amazing tracklist and it's actually much more of a 'game' than the full versions with the silly plastic instruments...

They sort-of redid it for XBLA as Rock Band Blitz but that version was frankly a bit poo. I did think it might show-up on Steam at some point - improved with any luck - but so far no deal.

Only other PC rhythm game I own is an oddity from the old-days of the Steam Sales called Mevo and the Grooveriders - it's a lovely game somewhat ruined by it demanding more accuracy than most keyboards seem able to provide - I simply ran into a brick-wall after a while, I could not beat one song and it's progression is linear and so that was that.
    Last edited by trjp; 20-08-2013 at 03:32 AM.

As others have said, Frets on Fire is nice (I keep having issues with it though). I have played Rocksmith on a friend's Xbox 360. I'm a guitar player myself, but I couldn't really get the hang of it in the hour or so that I played.

You can check out http://www.playdrumsonline.com which is an online rhtyhm game where you can play along with youtube songs with your own digital drum kit or keyboard.

Obscure Node
    Space Channel 5 Part 2 has a PC port:
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SC5P2/s...annel-5-part-2

It's also a part of the Dreamcast collection:
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DCC/dreamcast-collection

Network Hub
    One that springs to my mind is Rhythm Zone. It's a play your own music thing. The generation is really rather good on higher levels, have spent a lot of time with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was really interested in Patapon but don't have a PSP :(
    CHIKA CHIKA PATA PON!
    This game is awesome. PSP is rather cheap these days, got mine (used of course) for less than $100.

BTW, you all people mention OSU but no one played Elite Beat Agents? :(
    It have kickass music (YMCA!), high difficulty level and awesome stories in each level - they're probably the funniest thing ever made in videogames (although many people can consider it just plainly silly and stupid).

Agents are... GO!

World badly needs EBA2. :(

You can emulate PSP already on PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, you can, although some games still have nasty bugs (in MGS Peace Walker I was forced to reset game between each mission, otherwise it would not load and there was sound issues) when you're emulating them and it was pissing me off, so I ordered PSP.
    Used games are very cheap (~$10), even in my country which is rather poor and no one really buy handhelds here, only PCs and stationary consoles. Oh, and with emulator, for some games you must have gamepad with good analog stick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ah, fond, fond, memories of spending many hours playing Elite Beat Agents. So, so good. I spent most of that time trying to beat Jumping Jack Flash on the third difficulty level, which I never did manage to do. It was a huge leap in difficulty from anything that came before it. It's pretty close in difficulty to that video above, at least in my memory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Given how cheap PSPs are these days, emulating one seems a bit pointless really.

Well - except that you could probably play the (really rather excellent) Rock Band Unplugged without turning your hands into CLAWS perhaps...

Our local game store is not noted for being cheap for 2nd-hand kit and they do PSP 1000/2000/3000s for £40 and a PSPGo for £30 tho (the Go can be hacked but, frankly, it's more worth for less result).

Obscure Node

This is a new rhythm game i have found recently!

I found (well my friend shared with me) this game two days ago, and it's awesome, new original gameplay mode, fantastic mechanics and really interesting to play to be honest, so if anybody interested they have open beta now, u can register and play there.

P.s I just made my account here, not sure if i can share a link or not. Need to reed rules first i guess. But hey i will share video and you can find out more yourself then.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Hey folks.

I'm a big fan of Sequence, and of Rock Band III (sadly unavailable to me except at friend's houses). Does the PC gaming space have some really solid rhythm games? I've tried a few free games and demos, but a lot of PC music games either have severely limited procedural systems (allow you to pick whatever music you like ... but only really work some of the time) and/or don't have particularly rhythmic play in the first place (Beat Hazard and Audiosurf come to mind). Also, PC music games tend to only incorporate the radio edits of explicit songs, which is a real turn-off.

I doubt there's much out there like Sequence--it's relatively difficult as a rhythm game, has great licensed tracks, and has a totally-out-there gimmick that really works (the three-panel, turn-based RPG mash-up). But I can dream.

Any suggestions? Otherwise ... music and rhythm games on the PC! The woes of keyboards that don't support 4 button presses at once! Discuss!

Network Hub
    The best rythm game I've seen on PC is One Finger Death Punch
    http://www.desura.com/games/one-finger-death-punch

It's absurdly simple and good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Re-reading this thread I decided to see how PSP Emulation was these days

10 mins later - without installing a thing - I was playing a completely functional "Rock Band Unplugged" - I suspect there are slight lag issues with the 360 controller which I need to look into but other than some weirdness in menus, it was perfect.

It's quite like Sequence but obviously with licensed music and less sassy dialogue - I recommend it...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Re-reading this thread I decided to see how PSP Emulation was these days

10 mins later - without installing a thing - I was playing a completely functional "Rock Band Unplugged" - I suspect there are slight lag issues with the 360 controller which I need to look into but other than some weirdness in menus, it was perfect.

It's quite like Sequence but obviously with licensed music and less sassy dialogue - I recommend it...
    It does have licensed music. Ronald Jenkees--who constitutes a good half of the music in Sequence--is a published artist whose tracks predate the game. He may have made a track for the game, but all the ones I can think of off the top of my head are from published albums.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 30-01-2014 at 04:53 PM.