Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Far Cry 2's storyline is, "in a humanitarian effort to stop a gun-runner in a wartorn African country, you murder just about everybody in that country... largely with guns you bought from the gun-runner."
    You realize that whole point of the game is that you're a huge part of the problem, right? The ending is not ambiguous about this.

I liked cyris most. Good list of popular games.

Nobody made you go to Africa as a mercenary.
    And? Nobody made the people at the checkpoints start shooting at me.

Edit: But they did force me to go to Mars, against my wishes. And when I went to Rapture, I was just trying to survive after a planecrash.
    Last edited by Unaco; 09-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    You realize that whole point of the game is that you're a huge part of the problem, right? The ending is not ambiguous about this.
    No shit you're a huge part of the problem. But like anti-war war films, the game itself undermines its own point.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    And?
    You have a goddamn scary set of morals. Being an armed mercenary in hostile territory precludes crying self-defense.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

You have a goddamn scary set of morals. Being an armed mercenary in hostile territory precludes crying self-defense.
    Psst... you might not have heard, but it's a video game. Ne? How I view completely fictional/fantasy situations doesn't really tell you anything about my morals. And even so, is killing someone in war or armed conflict murder? Being an armed mercenary in a combat environment/hostile territory probably precludes being murdered... If I can't cry self-defence, I'm not sure the people I kill (or their friends) can really cry murder.

Anyways, this is getting off topic, and I was more commenting on Faldrath's comment that all FPSs are "Murder Simulators". They aren't. The vast, vast majority of FPSs are... Killing in Self-defence Simulators.
    Last edited by Unaco; 09-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    No STALKER? No The Witcher 1?
    The Witcher 2 makes The Witcher 1 look like a pile of poop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Another piece of hit-garnering garbage from IGN (thanks for reposting it here so they aren't rewarded btw).

No Metro 2033. No Stalker. Fallout 3 chosen over New Vegas. Portal 2 over Portal. Arkham Asylum over Arkham City. ME2 over DA:O. Minecraft is the only indie. No Just Cause 2. No platformers, even though the platform is rife with them. No adventure games. No flash games, even though some are amazing.

I don't even think Civ V is a great game. It's a good game, and it will certainly lead to better things for the Civ series (city-states are better), but its not great.

I should probably read the article, but the selections look like a collection of big FPS and Strategy names, not a well-thought, critical list. I would rather read a list of a few highlights from each genre rather than comparing apples and tunafish.
    Last edited by Internet; 09-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Can we make an agreement to stop using acronyms? They always seem to take me ages to decode. I only get ME2 on the list by comparing it to the list just above _

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Psst... you might not have heard, but it's a video game. Ne? How I view completely fictional/fantasy situations doesn't really tell you anything about my morals. And even so, is killing someone in war or armed conflict murder? Being an armed mercenary in a combat environment/hostile territory probably precludes being murdered... If I can't cry self-defence, I'm not sure the people I kill (or their friends) can really cry murder.

Anyways, this is getting off topic, and I was more commenting on Faldrath's comment that all FPSs are "Murder Simulators". They aren't. The vast, vast majority of FPSs are... Killing in Self-defence Simulators.
    "I don't think it's murder if they shoot first."

So, what you're saying is, you're rolling back that statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Can we make an agreement to stop using acronyms? They always seem to take me ages to decode. I only get ME2 on the list by comparing it to the list just above _
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    FC2
    Batman:AA
    L4D2
    LoL
    Wow: Cata
    GTA4
    Civ5
    ME2
    TF2
    HL2: Episode 2

WoW Panda [...]
    Far Cry 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Left 4 Dead 2
    League of Legends
    World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Civilization 5
    Mass Effect 2
    Half Life 2: Episode 2
    World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria
    Last edited by Nalano; 09-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by venn177 View Post
    Far Cry 2 was a joke of a game and shouldn't be on any list.
    I don't think Far Cry 2 is a joke. It's a rather far cry from a joke, but yeah, I came on here to say that I am pretty sure it doesn't belong on this list.

"I don't think it's murder if they shoot first."

So, what you're saying is, you're rolling back that statement?
    Sigh... No, what I'm saying is I don't want to go through a tiresome, pointless, meaningless "discussion" (read 'dick waving competition' in the world of Nalano) with you, in which you'll only attempt to score points and make personal attacks. Simply put, Faldrath said that all FPSs are murder simulators, or that murdering everyone is the object of such games. I interjected that in the majority of FPSs it isn't murder... they present circumstances etc. such that the killing isn't murder.

Banned
    When I saw the title, and the [IGN], I chuckled

Then read the list, was not disappointed

Also, STALKER was a joke of a game and shouldn't be on any list!

Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    I don't think Far Cry 2 is a joke. It's a rather far cry from a joke
    reactionface.jpg
    Last edited by Mohorovicic; 09-01-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    When I saw the title, and the [IGN], I chuckled

Then read the list, was not disappointed

Also, STALKER was a joke of a game and shouldn't be on any list!

Omg if i heard you say that again i'm so gonna punch in to thee faceee!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Simply put, Faldrath said that all FPSs are murder simulators, or that murdering everyone is the object of such games. I interjected that in the majority of FPSs it isn't murder... they present circumstances etc. such that the killing isn't murder.
    And that's a valid way of seeing things, but I personally fall more on the "pacifist" end of the scale and I would argue that unless it's very very obviously in self-defense, pretty much all killing is murder. Even if you're a soldier engaged in a war, all that means is that your state won't prosecute you for murder. And you can't really claim "self-defense" in military shooters, since you're there as a soldier with the intent of killing other people.

Just wanted to clarify my own position, since I'm aware that this could very easily lead to a legal/ethical argument.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    That's not actually that bad a list for IGN, if you had to make a mainstream selection mine wouldn't be far off that. Fallout III shouldn't be there though, replace with Dragon Age, which is far mpre PC-y. Stalker should certainly be there as well, in place of Sins, which seems abit random to me. The other ones I understand even if I don't agree with all of them.

I can only assume Psychonuats is pre-2006 cos otherwise that's about as big an omission as you can get.

I was not impressed with Far Cry 2, and I could never really get into Crysis. I do think it's interesting that a free-to-play game made it onto a mostly-respectable top 25 list.

Network Hub
    It is interesting how sequel syndrome appears in the list. Portal 2 in my mind is not better than Portal 1, more refined yes...the mystery and innovation was gone. Same reason Bioshock would be on the list for me and not Bioshock 2 even though 2 was a far more refined experienced. On the other hand, Borderlands 1 was far inferior to Borderlands 2, though I might give it to General Knoxx.

The trouble is that the mechanics of many of these prequels are what made the more refined sequels possible, but we loved exploring and learning the originals more despite the fact that playing the sequels was better from a gameplay perspective. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. pissed me off, but it still is likely the better game than Call of Pripyat even though the latter was far more playable for me and I actually managed to find the plot. Perhaps best franchises since 2006 would be an interesting list.

Also, while I don't mind an absence of most shooters on the list...ignoring BF3 is interesting. I would argue that game has done more than almost any other to push the genre since COD4 for better or for worse (which I have to believe is the only reason they put Diablo 3 on the list). HL2:EP2 was too meh to deserve a place on the list for me. It was the weakest part of the Orange Box.
    Last edited by Misnomer; 09-01-2013 at 05:45 PM.

I'm not all that keen on Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3 being on that list, either, admittedly.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    20. Minceraft.
    Lol.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I'm not sure if you can claim to be an innocent victim in Far Cry 2, considering the whole reason you're in Africa in the first place is because you were asked to murder someone. Not a good person to be sure, but still.

As for the list, I make it a point to disregard anything IGN publishes. They're bad reviewers, but they're even worse writers. Still, this doesn't seem too bad, even if it is basically just a list of games that were popular in the last few years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    It is interesting how sequel syndrome appears in the list. Portal 2 in my mind is not better than Portal 1, more refined yes...the mystery and innovation was gone. Same reason Bioshock would be on the list for me and not Bioshock 2 even though 2 was a far more refined experienced. On the other hand, Borderlands 1 was far inferior to Borderlands 2, though I might give it to General Knoxx.
    Amusingly they appear to have picked the sequels when they should have picked the originals, and the originals when they should have picked the sequels.