Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagonalbolts View Post

Guys if you're friendly, which I'm sure you are, feel free to try out DOTA with the Casual DOTA Chums group, it's mostly about having a laugh, we've got plenty of free passes if you need them and can help you out finding your feet if need be. Just pop on into the mumble whenever other people are online or add a couple of the more prominent members and ask what's going on.
    I will pop in at some point. As for free passes, I have like 14, which I probably should not be advertising here again, because I seem to randomly get spammed by people joining this forum just to ask me for one on a fairly regular basis.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Hey peeps, Noobs Inc. is looking for a willing sparring partner on Sunday 13th, maybe around 20h GMT, tbc. Anyone interested? Don't be shy, everyone in the team has been hand picked for their ability to inspire pity and remorse in you :P
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Obscure Node
    Any teams still looking for an extra member?

Guys, don't forget to sign up your team for next months big tournament! There's plenty of time to get training!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lOHM3a2c#gid=0
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    Hey peeps, Noobs Inc. is looking for a willing sparring partner on Sunday 13th, maybe around 20h GMT, tbc. Anyone interested? Don't be shy, everyone in the team has been hand picked for their ability to inspire pity and remorse in you :P
    I expect Team Building Materials could engage you in battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom OBedlam View Post
    Guys, don't forget to sign up your team for next months big tournament! There's plenty of time to get training!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lOHM3a2c#gid=0
    Do you know what dates it will be? I'd sign up Team Building Materials but I think I will be in Peru so they will need a new member!
    Last edited by hexagonalbolts; 11-01-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Network Hub
    I just checked out that game and no offence but it seemed like pros vs noobs, is there any point in a tournament where you have hardcore no lifers vs casual dudes? just keeping it real yo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    I just checked out that game and no offence but it seemed like pros vs noobs, is there any point in a tournament where you have hardcore no lifers vs casual dudes? just keeping it real yo.
    Please for the love of all that is holy, tell me the tone in this post is meant to be an ironical representation of the standard MOBA crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Please for the love of all that is holy, tell me the tone in this post is meant to be an ironical representation of the standard MOBA crowd.
    Bilbo's just messing (he's head of the RPS DOTA noob group) but he has a very valid point that the match was very much one sided and I need to find some way to address that, I want to mix things up somehow either by getting one sided teams to perhaps take a handicap against newer teams or by forcing them to take unusual/random characters or something along those lines so that it's as much fun as possible for everyone involved. I'm still pondering on it.
    Last edited by hexagonalbolts; 12-01-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Obscure Node
    Bilbo's messing but he has a very valid point that the match was very much one sided and I need to find some way to address that, I want to mix things up somehow either by getting one sided teams to perhaps take a handicap against newer teams or by forcing them to take unusual/random characters or something along those lines so that it's as much fun as possible for everyone involved. I'm still pondering on it.
    that is why you need this tournament to be completed. the experience will show the answer. Anyway the attititude like im a usual player wont benefit unless you try yourself.
    As far as i remember my first tournament game was an embarrasement. And lots of pubs i wish i have been playing better.

Do you know what dates it will be? I'd sign up Team Building Materials but I think I will be in Peru so they will need a new member!
    Still pending atm, I'm going for the first or second Monday of February and running for three weeks.
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

I'm not sure if "hardcore no lifer" is the proper term to describe a person that simply considers PC gaming as one of the hobbies that require time and effort to be good at them.

We're a part of a community which, I suppose, doesn't treat this tournament in any other way than just a series of the games with preset teams that give everyone a chance to get some experience in Dota2 while having fun. Even points are basically a 'participation award'.

Yes, Team Zoidberg has previously played CM matches together, we even did start in one tournament, which ended quickly, painfully and horribly when The Internet showed us that maybe we need a bit more experience as a team before trying to crawl out of our matchmaking cave.

This is the first trial tournament of this community, teams have just been created, people need time to get used to playing with each other rather than with random matchmakers and that's pretty much the point of it all - to create a community that shares a hobby.

If you treat any games happening here as "pros vs noobs" instead of fun and training then you might want to reconsider that.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojav View Post
    Thats all true but I think everyone would probably have had a more fun experience if teams were matched more evenly.
    How to achieve that... I don't know.

Haha Koojav like I said don't take it seriously he's only kidding! :)

Right guys I'm around all day and up for organising some matches if anyone else fancies some?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmud View Post
    How to achieve that... I don't know.
    Please remember that this was just one match of the whole tournament. There are eight teams registered for this event, total of 56 matches can be played. I'm sure that after more matches are played (at least two or three per team) you will see the level of games rising drastically.

Network Hub
    I vote for Team Zoidberg to only play with one hand, and their non-dominant one :P
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Spineless duel

Team Zoidberg
    vs
    Cobra Cocks

Saturday 12th
    05:30pm GMT

Obscure Node
    The main thing which made Zoidberg appear much better is mainly that they had a bigger focus on wards, better mechanics understanding, better team synergy and probably a lot more time spent playing together. It was a series of small and easily remedied issues that saw TBM lose so quickly and I'm sure once people play together more and learn from each other it will quickly become much more even across all teams.

Spineless duel
    Hopefully with Hex casting :P

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I'm sure once people play together more and learn from each other it will quickly become much more even across all teams.
    I think we looked at the experience of the members of Team Zoidberg and noted that their least experienced player had played twice as any matches as the most experienced member of Team Building Materials. Simply put, I think Team Zoibderg have a stronger team, with better, more experienced players.

If the other teams have levels of experience and ability closer to Team Building Materials rather than Team Zoidberg, then it's not going to be a particularly interesting tournament for Team Zoidberg ("And I hope next time u will make us put more effort to take a victory").

Still, we'll see - I'm looking forward to seeing Cobra Cocks take on Zoidberg this afternoon at least!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Think this has come a bit quickly for my team, so we will probably not be turning out after all, hopefully will be able to join in the bigger tourney though!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter