Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I think Team Zoidberg need to play Mid AND Feed. That'll be a lovely game.
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fate Amenable To Change View Post
    I think we looked at the experience of the members of Team Zoidberg and noted that their least experienced player had played twice as any matches as the most experienced member of Team Building Materials. Simply put, I think Team Zoibderg have a stronger team, with better, more experienced players.

If the other teams have levels of experience and ability closer to Team Building Materials rather than Team Zoidberg, then it's not going to be a particularly interesting tournament for Team Zoidberg ("And I hope next time u will make us put more effort to take a victory").

Still, we'll see - I'm looking forward to seeing Cobra Cocks take on Zoidberg this afternoon at least!
    Sorry for my quotation to look like an offensive one. I just have put it in wrong words. The thing i meant was that this experience we get together will even the chances next time.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ifthechild View Post
    Sorry for my quotation to look like an offensive one. I just have put it in wrong words. The thing i meant was that this experience we get together will even the chances next time.
    My point was that it's not much fun for both teams if the game is one-sided; both of us want to play games that are close! It's not only not much fun to be the team that gets stomped on, but it's also not so fun for the team doing the stomping, and I thought your quote shows that.

It was a closer game this evening though, fairly up in the air for the first twenty minutes or so, with some great kills from both sides.

Team Zoidberg had an absolutely incredible match against Cobra Cocks! After an incredibly close start with aggressive warding, ganking and vicious tri-laning the Cobra Cocks pulled ahead at first but after a lengthy battle Zoidberg's fat Sven emerged from bottom lane hand in hand with a few nasty Smoke of Deceit ganks to secure a second victory for team Zoidberg!

1 point to Cobra Cocks and 2 points to team Zoidberg!

Team Fabulous

Likpose, Tonven, Schmied, Lord Xenu, rehaon.

Quote Originally Posted by hexagonalbolts View Post
    Team Zoidberg had an absolutely incredible match against Cobra Cocks! After an incredibly close start with aggressive warding, ganking and vicious tri-laning the Cobra Cocks pulled ahead at first but after a lengthy battle Zoidberg's fat Sven emerged from bottom lane hand in hand with a few nasty Smoke of Deceit ganks to secure a second victory for team Zoidberg!
    I'd like to thank Cobra Cocks for the match. We had loads of fun and even more panicking and shouting at each other when noone had any idea what to do next.

I think it was HexagonalBolts who said that we have aggressive way of entering teamfights, while this might seem to be true it is mostly the result of us wanting to run away in different directions.

Also thank you guys again for broadcasting and spectating, it makes this event really nice to participate in.
    Last edited by Koojav; 12-01-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Obscure Node
    Is there a youtube or match ID for the game? Would like to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Is there a youtube or match ID for the game? Would like to watch it.
    We're in the process of putting it onto youtube and sharing the replay file

Activated Node
    Well I am definitely interested in a friendly tournament, but I only have around 70 hours in the game overall (my current main is Huskar) and I haven't played in a few weeks. My last caveat is that I won't be able to do anything from Feb. 6 - Feb. 16 as I am on vacation. Otherwise I would LOVE to participate. :)
    Last edited by Atrophy; 13-01-2013 at 12:24 AM.

We're in the process of putting it onto youtube and sharing the replay file
    Can you give us the match ID to see if we just couldn't watch the replay on the last game or whether this is the problem it looks like it is?
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom OBedlam View Post
    Can you give us the match ID to see if we just couldn't watch the replay on the last game or whether this is the problem it looks like it is?
    Match ID: 98263274

If people won't be able to open that match in a normal way I'll upload .dem (replay) somewhere so everyone interested can download that and play it using playdemo command in the client.

Quote Originally Posted by Koojav View Post
    Match ID: 98263274

If people won't be able to open that match in a normal way I'll upload .dem (replay) somewhere so everyone interested can download that and play it using playdemo command in the client.
    here is a link to the .dem for the first game, I think TC-14 was going to upload it onto one of his sites as well https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...C83AFA811E!238

Network Hub
    I think its impossible to do decent match making on a game such as thing because DOTA 2 is essentially DOTA 1 which came out years ago so theres people out there with thousands of hours of experience. I had a crazy idea the other day of handicapping a team who is going to steam roller everyone, basically for every game they win they lose a player on their team for an allocated time. So for example a team wins a match, one of their players has to stay at the fountain for 5 minutes and this would then multiply so say you won 2 matches in a row you get a player out for 10 mins or 2 players out for 5 mins. when the handicapped team loses a game they get 5 mins back. I know silly idea but just thought I'd mention it.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    I think its impossible to do decent match making on a game such as thing because DOTA 2 is essentially DOTA 1 which came out years ago so theres people out there with thousands of hours of experience. I had a crazy idea the other day of handicapping a team who is going to steam roller everyone, basically for every game they win they lose a player on their team for an allocated time. So for example a team wins a match, one of their players has to stay at the fountain for 5 minutes and this would then multiply so say you won 2 matches in a row you get a player out for 10 mins or 2 players out for 5 mins. when the handicapped team loses a game they get 5 mins back. I know silly idea but just thought I'd mention it.
    Matchmaking works. That is what I use to say when hear that it does not. You have your personal skill, wins, losses and other stats measured. MM tries to even the opposite teams pefrormance based on statistics. Still it is unable to save you from Dendi playing second game on his new pub account or from a lowskilled person who is Dendi's friend and gets a lot of wins and good stats playing with him. Or even just a person with lots of games played.
    But this way of handicapping is not the way to solve it. Imagine midlaner delayed for 5 minutes... Facing any decent opponent with 3 lv+1k gold difference will just destroy game for him.

I shall be on later tonight, will see if we can't rustle up the rest of Mid AND Feed to get a match in or two. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    There is an experience handicap option when you set up a match that would probably be more effective haha.

I think the main two problems with matchmaking and handicapping are that:

1) personal performance changes massively depending upon chosen hero and teammates or even for no reason at all
    2) there is no reliable statistic to objectively rate players - number of games played is not a good indicator and the matchmaking system doesn't attempt to get players at a 50% win/loss ratio so win rate doesn't tell you much.

This means it's impossible to fairly rate how much better one team is than another (I wish DOTA had a tier system like Starcraft 2). The only time you can tell is when it's really obvious, when one team has 5000 total games and the other has 500 total games. In that case I think the team at an advantage should opt to either play stupid characters or to take a big handicap for the sake of fun (which is what this is all about) - I will do so with my team!

Anyway lets put this topic to rest now it's dragged on for way too many pages! I'd love to play some games soon with my team against anyone (except perhaps team Brocrates because we don't want to get too stomped in both our first games haha)
    Last edited by hexagonalbolts; 13-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Activated Node
    This means it's impossible to fairly rate how much better one team is than another (I wish DOTA had a tier system like Starcraft 2). The only time you can tell is when it's really obvious, when one team has 5000 total games and the other has 500 total games. In that case I think the team at an advantage should opt to either play stupid characters or to take a big handicap for the sake of fun (which is what this is all about) - I will do so with my team!

Anyway lets put this topic to rest now it's dragged on for way too many pages! I'd love to play some games soon with my team against anyone (except perhaps team Brocrates because we don't want to get too stomped in both our first games haha)
    I am actually glad that there is not a visible ELO system in Dota2. And there is a similar system to SC2 in DOTA2 with the different categories (medium/high/very high) although actually checking these takes a bit of fiddling since you need to search for people in the client with the skill filter enabled.

That aside I feel that one of the lessons learned from this tournament has to be that games need to be scheduled in advance in a predetermined way. I kind of sucked that we were not able to get any games because none of the teams we asked actually wanted to play us (Brocrates). I suppose we must have some crazy players that I have not seem play yet because I am easily the player with the least total games (<150)from everyone that I have inspected.

Obscure Node
    Maybe there is a reason to split this topic into two: one for signing in and one for discussion?
    Last edited by ifthechild; 13-01-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: owls

In 2013 a crack commando unit was sent to low priority pool for abandons they did not commit.
    These men promptly escaped from a minimum skill pool to Casual Dota Chums group.
    Today still wanted by the government they survive as players of fortune.

If you want to play.
    If noone else can help and if you can find them.
    Maybe you can hire the Z-Team.

Team Zoidberg would like to face any willing team on Tuesday 15th at 7pm GMT.
    To schedule a match please contact any currently available member of Team Zoidberg.

Team Building materials would like a game, what about Clockwerk Orange, would you guys be up for one?