Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Be warned, Alpha Protocol is very much a love-it or hate-it game. This forum really loves it, but judging by its review scores most people don't. Funnily enough, while I'd say it's overall the best game on my list, it's also the one that caused me the most ire.
    I liked it. I even liked the "omg I'm being sexually harassed by a KGB vixen whose boobs can crush my head" bit. I liked the "three JBs" motif. But BESTEST GAME EVARRR is a high bar.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I hated Alpha Protocol because the game's player agency and decision-making doesn't include the option for the protagonist to not be a smarmy dick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I liked it. I even liked the "omg I'm being sexually harassed by a KGB vixen whose boobs can crush my head" bit. I liked the "three JBs" motif. But BESTEST GAME EVARRR is a high bar.
    Same here. I had two Obsidian games one the list but AP was not one for a reason. The extreme focus on a limited group of NPCs was done well, the combat, the timed dialog, Thorton's lines, the bosses, and occasionally the levels were not. All in all, I think it was a poor execution of a really good idea.

To each their own though.

The timed dialoge was great. And you're not convincing me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I hated Alpha Protocol because the game's player agency and decision-making doesn't include the option for the protagonist to not be a smarmy dick.
    This. Whatever I chose he always acted like a complete idiot.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Alpha Protocol tends to get rather low review scores because its implementation was a bit on the shakey side. The gunplay wasn't very good, the interface was irritating at times, a lot of the voicework was laughable and balance wasn't even attempted. But that doesn't matter to me, none of those are even close to game breaking, and what Alpha Protocol did well was something no other game has done and is so important. Choice. Meaningful choice. You don't just get light side or dark side points, your choices drastically affect character relationships and even the game's narrative and structure. Who likes you? Who hates you? Which mission area did you do first? How stealthy or murderous were you? All of these things make serious changes and I loved that. I'm sick of all the games in which you're either saint or Satan, the only difference in practice being that people will either worship the ground you walk on or call you an asshole.

So yeah, if you're prepared to overlook some flawed gameplay (not bad, just flawed), you can find a real gem in Alpha Protocol.
    My issue with Alpha Protocal was that it may have given you meaningful choice, but it was amongst generic computer game characters and concerning a third rate Tom Clancy plot. These branching choices became irrelevant when I didn't give two shits about what was going on. I was also expecting gameplay more inline with Deus Ex, but got a corridor shooter with infuriating boss fights.

I am constantly confused by the comparisons by Bloodline, which felt like a game that needed another years work, but knew exactly what it was trying to do. The final third might be a complete mess, but the first 2/3rds are wonderful, if a bit buggy. Alpha Protocol just felt broken and unconvinced by what it could be for all that I played of it.

Now, I only manged to play, at most, half of it, so maybe things become more interesting later on. I just don't see that being the case from how uninteresting both the gameplay at story was for that first half.

Onto my list:

Dishonoured
    The Witcher 2
    Portal 2
    Crysis
    Stalker
    Hitman Blood Money
    Starcraft 2
    Company of Heroes
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Natural Selection 2

That last one was a switch from Team Fortress 2. I like TF2 a lot and it is probably the game I have put the most hours into. However, I also feel like it is a rather shallow game that I have only ever dipped in and of. NS2 is the far more ambitious multiplayer game and rewards you so much more. I hope to be playing it for many years to come.

Edit: @Gorzan - Farenheit did that first and was far more interesting with it.
    Last edited by Vandelay; 10-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.

In no particular order.

Dragon Age: Origins
    Skyrim
    Defense Grid
    Anno 1404
    DX:HR
    Mass Effect 2
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Saints Row 3
    Batman: Arkham City
    Batman Arkham Asylum

Honourable mentions:

Football Manager 2010
    Kings Bounty: The Legend
    Plants vs Zombies
    Dishonored
    XCOM: Enemy Unkown
    Oblivion
    The Walking Dead
    Last edited by PeteC; 10-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Warning. Console games within. (The IGN list had console games. So I don't care what you think)

Demon's Souls
    Dark Souls
    Mass Effect
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Halo 3
    Trials: HD
    Binding of Isaac
    Fallout 3 (I haven't played New Vegas properly yet. I fully concede it's probably better)
    Bioshock
    Bayonetta

Honourable Mentions:
    Portal / Portal 2
    Uncharted 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Dawn of War: II
    FTL
    Batman: Arkham City
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Medieval 2: Total War
    Super Smash Brothers: Wii
    Fifa 12
    Mirrors Edge

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Warning. Console games within. (The IGN list had console games. So I don't care what you think)
    That's fine but they're not getting counted since the thread has PC in the title. I suppose it's a statement though, and it's been made.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

But IGN had multiplatform games which were on PC as well..

Its like you made best PS3 games since 2006 and i included Super Mario Galaxy 2,Total War Shogun 2 and erm,Garry's Mod.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Wonder what people's lists would have looked like if we had a No Multiplatform rule. Mine would have two games left on it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Wonder what people's lists would have looked like if we had a No Multiplatform rule. Mine would have two games left on it.
    Wonder why it matters so much for some people.

I'd keep the RTSs and city builders. They're not going anywhere. But I don't play RTSs and city builders 100% of the time.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Maybe because this is PC oriented forum,so talking about console games its kinda stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Maybe because this is PC oriented forum,so talking about console games its kinda stupid.
    Games are games. I have no time for your petty tribalism.

Games are games. I have no time for your petty tribalism.

Oh this is to much haha :D I don't mind console games at all,i even owned ps3 few years,but when subject in thread is "Your Favorite PC games since 2006" you don't list console games.

Seems I misread the original IGN list... never mind. Fun mental exercise either way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    If consoles were involved, I'd include a Forza. Why in gods name have none come out for PC!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Edit: @Gorzan - Farenheit did that first and was far more interesting with it.
    Ooh I'm glad Fahrenheit was 2005 or else it would maybe have been an omission from my list.

I think those games are more or less on par. Both had horribly annoying boss fights, Alpha Protocol started weakly and gradually came together whereas Fahrenheit started strongly and went off the rails. Alpha Protocol was unintentionally (or was it intentional?) funny because the protagonist was a caricatured dick, Fahrenheit was (almost certainly) unintentionally funny because it went off the rails plot wise in the final quarter. Despite its flaws the gameplay in Alpha Protocol is stronger and despite its descent into (abliet hilarious) madness the plot of Fahrenheit was far more intriguing and the characters much more sympathetic.

As for the timed conversations (which were what you guys were referring to after all) I'd actually lean towards AP doing them better as there were a few less instances of the character saying something unexpected and the actual consequences in terms of your relationship with the characters felt more meaningful in AP even if they were, much to my disappointment, telegraphed with "friends +1". The choices in Fahrenheit didn't seem to matter as much, as while it was interesting to see the varying effects many of them lead to dead ends, a la choose your own adventure books. This wasn't the case with the more tightly crafted AP. Just my two cents though, they're both thoroughly enjoyable games in my book.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 10-01-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Mine would go down to 4 (5 if you count the free version of Spelunky, which is the one that I played). If you count Spelunky 4 of those 5 (Spelunky, Audiosurf, Spacechem, Crusader Kings 2) are the game which I've poured most hours into (the others being games just outside my list such as Puzzle Quest, Peggle, Dragon Age: Origins, Binding of Isaac).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    If asked to create a top 10 PC games list, I don't see anything wrong in naming 10 brilliant games with the dual motive of providing 10 reasons to get a PC. That doesn't necessarily exclude multi-platform stuff - Skyrim and Blood Bowl are a must for the PC. You'd never see something like Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress birthed on a console though. A market entirely controlled by a single company requires a different mindset.