Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Judging by this list, the games RPS users prefer above all else are RPGs and shooters. And RPGs that happen to be shooters.
    There's only one RPG on the list. \end{wizardry}
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    So, since this thread was quickly heading onto the third page back I decided to sum it all up. I wasn't perfect and probably dropped a few here and there. That's everyone's fault for picking 170 separate games. Here are the top Ten
    Thanks for adding it all up. Quite satisfied that I only really missed out on one game from the top ten, I'll have to give it a second look. If nothing else, this makes for a nice quick-reference during a sale.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Alpha Protocol wasn't rooting for the underdog in my mind. It genuinely was one of the games I enjoyed most in recent years. I don't tend to replay those sorts of games very often (indeed I don't tend to replay many games at all at leas not until nostalgia kicks in) so it's definitely deserving of a place.

Though saying that by the same rational Dragon Age: Origins should have been in my top 10 rather than my unmentioned honourable mentions. However the shithole that was The Deep Roads stopped me putting it in there. Though the fact that I was willing to put up with it for a second time does say something for the game, I guess.

Then there's the second Witcher game which was competing too, but again, something told me it's just outside the top 10. Despite it being a great game I can't say I found it, well, memorable, really. People were talking about certain scenes in the violence threads recently and I genuinely couldn't remember them (although to be fair I may not have come across them), The first game took too long to get going to consider.

AP's definitely on the edge of the list and there's certainly some big games I haven't played that could displace it. But for now I really think it deserves its position. If I'd being doing the list on the best experimentation rather than personal enjoyment then the first thing in there would have been Minecraft, which didn't make my ten because, much as I appreciate what it does I just ended up getting bored of it. Worth playing, but not quite my thing.

Network Hub
    Man the Deep Roads truly were abysmal. Moments like that and the Sloth Demon quest really made me question the level designers in the game.

As for the final list, I'm kind of shocked that Dark Souls made it so high after the reaming out that it got for the bad port job. I guess that the gameplay itself it good enough to overlook the technical flaws. I'm kind of upset that Portal 2 wasn't in the number one spot over Portal, but I recognize that I'm one of the few that found it far better, so I guess its fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    YO internet,you should edit original post with results.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    I'm kind of shocked that Dark Souls made it so high after the reaming out that it got for the bad port job. I guess that the gameplay itself it good enough to overlook the technical flaws.
    Oh it is. When I played it on the XBox it was the best thing I'd played in years, and the PC version was just as good provided you played it with a gamepad. The guy who made the graphical patch certainly deserves big thanks though for making the experience even better on PC.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    pretty much. it seems to be a classic case of overcompensating for the underdog; it did get more flak than it deserved from critics because it was ambitious and it was an enjoyable game, but the over-correction went a bit too far.

also, thanks for putting this together!
    I think you're heavily underappreciating just what Alpha Protocol brought to the table. It was a successful attempt to go a step beyond in terms of choice and consequence for the player, only let down by the flaws of the rest of the game. As it stands that one mechanic places it quite easily among the best games of the past 6 years, if the rest of the game were up to scratch it could potentially have been the best game.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    As for the final list, I'm kind of shocked that Dark Souls made it so high after the reaming out that it got for the bad port job. I guess that the gameplay itself it good enough to overlook the technical flaws. I'm kind of upset that Portal 2 wasn't in the number one spot over Portal, but I recognize that I'm one of the few that found it far better, so I guess its fine.
    The thing with the porting issues of Dark Souls is that I doubt most people's experience was actually hampered by them. The two really criminal issues were easily fixed; the graphics and the controls. The graphics fix was available pretty much from day 1 and gamepad use with a PC is pretty normal now. With gamepad and graphical fix in hand, the game really isn't a bad port anymore.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Here are the top Ten:

1. Portal - 25 votes (and 2 for the Orange Box)
    2. Fallout New Vegas - 20 votes
    3. Dragon Age Origins - 19 votes
    4. Mass Effect 2 - 19 votes
    5. Alpha Protocol (sigh) - 17 votes
    6. Company of Heroes - 16 votes
    7. Dark Souls - 16 votes
    8. Witcher 2 - 16 votes
    9. Team Fortress 2 - 15 votes (and 2 for the Orange box)
    10. Stalker SoC - 15 votes

I bought Alpha Protocol in a sale a couple of years ago but never got round to playing it. I think after these results and the Eurogamer retrospective the other week I'll have to finally give it a go.

Also nice to see ME2 so high considering it normally gets a bit of a kicking from so called hardcore fans (especially when it was released)

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    I think you're heavily underappreciating just what Alpha Protocol brought to the table. It was a successful attempt to go a step beyond in terms of choice and consequence for the player, only let down by the flaws of the rest of the game. As it stands that one mechanic places it quite easily among the best games of the past 6 years, if the rest of the game were up to scratch it could potentially have been the best game.
    sure. the timed dialogue, the impact your choices had on the story, that's all good and well. the problem is the actual /game/ part was a bit shit, wasn't it? all the interesting choices and consequences mechanics don't matter to me if i'm bored to tears by what the choices and consequences are, uh, choicing and consequencing.

if the first choose your own adventure book i read was about party planning, child me would've probably skipped the series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Also nice to see ME2 so high considering it normally gets a bit of a kicking from so called hardcore fans (especially when it was released)
    Hating EA never goes out of style.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

i don't hate ea, i just thought the second game was the weakest of the three. odd to see it get so much support.

i don't hate ea, i just thought the second game was the weakest of the three. odd to see it get so much support.
    I like it better then ME1 because it's a lot more fun to play than ME1. People complained about RPG elements being dropped and whatnot, which is why ME3 got some back (and ditched the planet scanning minigame for one with a little more flair), but I think it was a step up in playability and as such let me focus more on the story and not the game mechanics.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Because it's not objectively the weakest of the three?

I like it better then ME1 because it's a lot more fun to play than ME3. People complained about RPG elements being dropped and whatnot, which is why ME3 got some back (and ditched the planet scanning minigame for one with a little more flair), but I think it was a step up in playability and as such let me focus more on the story and not the game mechanics.
    it's also not objectively the strongest of the three.

i cannot, and will not, ever forgive replacing rpg elements (and inventories) for planet scanning.

:shudder:

Network Hub
    I am more of a racing guy so every new race games, I get a copy for myself. I'm waiting for Need For Speed: Most Wanted for Wii U.

it's also not objectively the strongest of the three.

i cannot, and will not, ever forgive replacing rpg elements (and inventories) for planet scanning.

:shudder:
    What is there to forgive?

It's not an either/or, and even you can agree that inventory juggling was fucking stupid.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    What is there to forgive?

It's not an either/or, and even you can agree that inventory juggling was fucking stupid.
    i hated the planet scanning an infinite amount more than i hated the inventory from me1. i enjoy item drops. i like loot. i am a lootwhore. my preference would've been a re-design of the inventory system to remove a lot of the tedium and minutia, removing it felt lazy (and harmed the game, for my purposes).

the retconning into ammo clips (trading inventory management for ammo management? nty) and the shift to a full blown press ___ to enter cover shooter were negatives for me, as well.

(also, me2 is the classic bridge story. the collectors were lame and ended up being completely inconsequential. the saren storyline remains, to me, one of my all-time favorites.)

i hated the planet scanning an infinite amount more than i hated the inventory from me1. i enjoy item drops. i like loot. i am a lootwhore. my preference would've been a re-design of the inventory system to remove a lot of the tedium and minutia, removing it felt lazy (and harmed the game, for my purposes).

the retconning into ammo clips (trading inventory management for ammo management? nty) and the shift to a full blown press ___ to enter cover shooter were negatives for me, as well.

(also, me2 is the classic bridge story. the collectors were lame and ended up being completely inconsequential. the saren storyline remains, to me, one of my all-time favorites.)
    Ammo clips were a smooth transition - and a reasonable explanation - as the original guns lacks gun-related oomph (and really, you're replacing trigger-control mechanics for ammo management mechanics). I do not at all miss having to hunt for "Gun You're Using +1" where you can tell it's 4% better because it has a red matte finish because I find that to be the most tedious aspect of RPGs. If I wanted a game based on looting, I have Diablo, Borderlands and Torchlight as looting simulators.

As for ME2 being the classic bridge problem, I think the Empire Strikes Back is the best middle child ever (and the strongest movie of the whole series). I agree that Saren was nicely done, but he was also very straight-forward. Yeah, Collectors aren't Giant Mecha Squids From Beyond the Galaxy, but I was introduced to Aria T'Loak and Mordin Solus, and Joker got his own Crowning Moment of Awesome, so nyah!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    sure. the timed dialogue, the impact your choices had on the story, that's all good and well. the problem is the actual /game/ part was a bit shit, wasn't it?
    No, it wasn't. It's a flawed game, sure, but shooting/stealthing was at least decent and what more do you need?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    No, it wasn't. It's a flawed game, sure, but shooting/stealthing was at least decent and what more do you need?
    The shooting was generic as hell with nothing distinguishing it. And the controls always felt a bit "wonky" to me. And don't get me started on the horrifyingly crappy firecone approach.
    The stealth also felt pretty limited, and I vaguely recall someone pointing out that many of the levels actually WERE unstealthable (at least, without exploits). I know I lost all interest in bothering to stealth pretty fast though, to the point that I only did it if an objective said to.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.