Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    The stealth also felt pretty limited, and I vaguely recall someone pointing out that many of the levels actually WERE unstealthable (at least, without exploits). I know I lost all interest in bothering to stealth pretty fast though, to the point that I only did it if an objective said to.
    Lies and slander, only one or two are unstealthable if you have the right skills.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Lies and slander, only one or two are unstealthable if you have the right skills.
    Deepest apologies

The stealth also felt pretty limited, and I vaguely recall someone pointing out that some of the levels actually WERE unstealthable (at least, without exploits). I know I lost all interest in bothering to stealth pretty fast though, to the point that I only did it if an objective said to.

:)

Seriously though. Alpha Protocol definitely had REALLY good ideas, but it was horribly flawed and suffered from gameplay that was mediocre at best. Although, unlike most Obsidian games it had a pretty fleshed out ending, so I guess that is a plus.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The triad area was unsteathalble (at least in my opinion) and occasionally Alpha Protocol inserted prolonged action sequences in which stealth is only of partial use. The ending springs to mind.

Still, there were more than a few levels which players insisted were unsteathable, when in fact they were perfectly stealthable. Some people couldn't wrap their heads around the guard's detection radius, which for the first half was less gamey - if you were in front of them, they could see you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Stealth normally broke the game (10 second invisibility), but became useless in boss fights. A stealth CQC build became an exercise in walking through levels and then playing the same room for fifteen minutes.

While broken design was a problem in the game, let's not forget the incredibly flawed environment interaction. The environment was unreactive, and half the time you couldn't count on the contextual interaction to do the right thing.

Then there was the inanity of emotion based dialogue. Not knowing what your character is going to say is absolutely great.
    Last edited by Internet; 21-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Oh, for anyone who wants to try Alpha Protocol to make up their own mind, GMG has it on sale (steam key). Dirt cheap, and the 20% code might even work too to lower it by a few more cents

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/e...lpha-protocol/

AP is definitely a horrifyingly flawed game with a lot of problems, but I also think it is one of those games that people who care about the "history" of games should at least try. It is still un-paralleled with repsect to its recording of pretty much every "normal" gameplay action you take and how those slightly influence dialogue and the like. Even The Witcher has something to learn in that regard (although, TW1 and 2 are much better at making your actions seem meaningful without the use of a strategy guide).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    So, since this thread was quickly heading onto the third page back I decided to sum it all up. I wasn't perfect and probably dropped a few here and there. That's everyone's fault for picking 170 separate games. Here are the top Ten:

1. Portal - 25 votes (and 2 for the Orange Box)
    2. Fallout New Vegas - 20 votes
    3. Dragon Age Origins - 19 votes
    4. Mass Effect 2 - 19 votes
    5. Alpha Protocol (sigh) - 17 votes
    6. Company of Heroes - 16 votes
    7. Dark Souls - 16 votes
    8. Witcher 2 - 16 votes
    9. Team Fortress 2 - 15 votes (and 2 for the Orange box)
    10. Stalker SoC - 15 votes
    Portal winning isn't surprising, though it's not one of my faves.

FONV taking second place makes me happy, since alongside TF2 it's my fave from my list.

Thought the forum was less keen in ME2 and DA:O. Kind of surprised Dragon Age managed to tie ME2, not surprised ME2 beat it's predecessor or sequel.

Dunno what rated Alpha Protocol so highly. The level designs were bland, the combat feel clunky and unsatisfying the plot is at best, bland, at worse incomprehensible, the main character is annoying and generic, the game itself is buggy. The choices are nice, but given you get to choose is boring conversation to direct a plot I don't care about to crappy designed levels where you have un-fun fights it's sort of like a cherry on a turd. I wish there had been a sequel if only to see if they could improve it but they really needed to ditch the old cast if they did.

CoH and Stalker, no complaints there.

Dark Souls and Witcher 2 feel sort of flavor of the month. Wonder if they would hold that position six years from now.

TF2 should be way higher.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja View Post
    Dark Souls and Witcher 2 feel sort of flavor of the month. Wonder if they would hold that position six years from now.
    Considering that Witcher 2 is almost two years old I think it's holding up pretty well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Considering that Witcher 2 is almost two years old I think it's holding up pretty well.
    Both are also lauded as being pretty unique experiences across the board, they're not just themed versions of a genre, they're pretty much one of a kind. If you finished one or the other and wanted a similar experience you wouldn't be able to find one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Portal winning isn't surprising, though it's not one of my faves.

FONV taking second place makes me happy, since alongside TF2 it's my fave from my list.

Thought the forum was less keen in ME2 and DA:O. Kind of surprised Dragon Age managed to tie ME2, not surprised ME2 beat it's predecessor or sequel.

Dunno what rated Alpha Protocol so highly. The level designs were bland, the combat feel clunky and unsatisfying the plot is at best, bland, at worse incomprehensible, the main character is annoying and generic, the game itself is buggy. The choices are nice, but given you get to choose is boring conversation to direct a plot I don't care about to crappy designed levels where you have un-fun fights it's sort of like a cherry on a turd. I wish there had been a sequel if only to see if they could improve it but they really needed to ditch the old cast if they did.

CoH and Stalker, no complaints there.

TF2 should be way higher.
    DAO had no worthy sequels to compete with. The expansion pack wasn't standalone (and was decent). Then there was DA2. No one voted for DA2. Mass Effect's votes were split 10, 19, 3. More than one person voted for both, but normally that wasn't the case. Other examples of splits lowering the total rank would be: Fallout 3 and FNV were split 20/9; Mount and Blade were split between the original and Warband 5/9; Left 4 Dead and L4D2 were split 5/8; the Witcher and 2 were split 10/16; Bioshock and 2 were split 8/5; finally Arkham Asylum/City were split 11/5.

So if you looked at votes for individual games and series the top eleven it would be:
    Portal - 36
    Mass Effect - 32
    New Fallouts - 29
    Witchers - 26
    Stalker - 20
    Dragon Age Origins - 19
    Alpha Protocol (sigh) - 17
    TF2 - 17
    Company of Heroes - 16
    Dark Souls - 16
    Arkham games - 16

Since we're 5+ years from the original Witcher and it still voted very highly, I doubt it would change. I was surprised when Bioshock didn't make an appearance in either top ten, even if it was in both top 25 series. Similarly, Metro 2033 was not a contender at all. Finally, only one more indie, M&B, was added to the list. Even the more famous indies like Braid and VVVVV were payed scant if any attention.
    Last edited by Internet; 22-01-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Although I am not surprised by it appearing here, as I know RPS forums love it, I agree with everything you say. Worse than not getting a sequel is the fact that poor sales mean we are unlikely to see a puplisher risk another spy/espionage RPG for a very long time, which is a real shame.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I am actually glad Bioshock and Metro 2033 didn't make it hehe.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Finally, only one more indie, M&B, was added to the list. Even the more famous indies like Braid and VVVVV were payed scant if any attention.
    I think it's tough for the indies as there's a lot more consensus about big budget titles (even though the dissenting voices about which ones are best are loud they are very much in the minority) whereas, which of the plethora of indie titles people pick for their ten is much more personal. Plus there's a lot more games you love for very different reasons. I also found it a lot easier to decide on my favourite AAA titles whereas choosing whether Audiosurf or Aquaria were more deserving than World of Goo or VVVVVV was a much tougher proposition with the only easy choices for me being Spacechem and Spelunky.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I am actually glad Bioshock and Metro 2033 didn't make it hehe.
    What makes you say that with that "hehe" at the end? Combining that with your avatar and... well... it feels a bit creepy :P.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Finally, only one more indie, M&B, was added to the list. Even the more famous indies like Braid and VVVVV were payed scant if any attention.
    It's a bit of shame, but hardly surprising. Any aggregate "best of"-list is bound to be dominated by popular titles. Looking at our list, all top ten entries, with the possible exception of Alpha Protocol, both sold a lot of copies and were constantly featured on various gaming sites. RPS may be more indie-aware than the average, but I'd wager there's still more people here who played Mass Effect 2 than World of Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    What makes you say that with that "hehe" at the end? Combining that with your avatar and... well... it feels a bit creepy :P.
    He's just learning from the best.

What,Sam Fisher can laugh to,don't be surprised my dearling.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Hmmm, I've played a good deal of the major indie titles that came out since 2006 and while I really enjoyed many of them they were, I guess, not long or grand enough to really make a lasting impression. Stuff like VVVVVV and Braid and Limbo were great little games but I completed them quickly in the space of a few hours then never thought of them again.

I guess maybe that's what The Binding of Isaac and Solium Infernum made it onto my list: Both required replying and both had such variety it was a long time before you ran out of new stuff, causing them to be more memorable.

A game doesn't have to be long to be great or have replay value but I guess it feels like however much fun I had with VVVVVV I had every level of Arkham Asylum.

Ten is a very small number anyway. Didn't the OP say there were 170 games in total mentioned?

I have one question though. Why 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post

Because next gen started since 2006,at least console ones and there are various best pc games overall lists on net,this is something fresh :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Because it's when this console generation started, so you're getting recent games that are on par with each other. The shorter time period means there's less nostalgia distortion. Finally, it kicks off all the usual contenders from the decade before that you've heard a million times (and makes it harder to focus on just one genre). No Starcraft, No Civ 4, No BGII, No PST, No Morrowind, etc. People are well aware of what the internet thinks the greatest games of yore are.

It might be interesting to do an all timed list post, where members pick a topic every two weeks (top ten FPS compiled into 25), but it won't be me doing it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    It might be interesting to do an all timed list post, where members pick a topic every two weeks (top ten FPS compiled into 25), but it won't be me doing it.
    I'll bite! For this one at least, then it's someone else's turn!