Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    This being RPS, I'd have suggested "Top 10 RPGs," but then I realized that a) it would be trollbait, and b) the result wouldn't be all that different from the list we have here.

:}
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Top 10 "that's not a real crpg" games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    This being RPS, I'd have suggested "Top 10 RPGs," but then I realized that a) it would be trollbait, and b) the result wouldn't be all that different from the list we have here.

:}
    That's why I jumped at FPS, I didn't want to spend all day defining RPG!

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Technically, we argued FPSs too. :D
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Dude, people suggested Deus Ex, Portal, Mirror's Edge and Thief.

FPS is a far broader church than you may suspect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet;248505I
    was surprised when Bioshock didn't make an appearance in either top ten, even if it was in both top 25 series.
    I think its Ayn Rand stuff resonates more with US players Vs europeans, plus the game I'd say is more loved by critics because it had a 'theme' to it than anything else. What the press gets behind isn't always what the public does. Looking at this months cover of EDGE magazine is enough to tell you that tbh.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Cool, let's do this. If someone makes the thread, make a "no rpg definition rule." It's worth pointing out that if a thread builds critical mass, the difference in definitions will be marginalized. Players votes define the genre, and if someone makes a convincing argument, people will edit their choices and the definition will evolve.

Top Ten First Person Shooters - needs to be first person, have guns, and lots of shooting:
    Metro 2033
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Unreal Tournament
    Jedi Knight 2 (the shooter bits were surprisingly decent outside of lightsaber combat)
    Alien Versus Predator 2
    Bioshock
    Star Wars Battlefront II
    Red Faction Guerilla
    Painkiller
    Stalker

Activated Node
    My Top 10:

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-41
    (also Darkest Hour)

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 (original game was 2001 but this uber IL-2 version came out in 2006)
    Company of Heroes
    DOTA 2
    Starcraft 2
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Mass Effect 2 (with recognition of the fact that the first had a better main plot and resolution)
    Mount and Blade: Warband
    TOME4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
    Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge

Honorable mentions to Portal and Torchlight 2 and Bastion.

I feel like Dark Souls should be on the list too because I've watched a lot of Let's Plays of it and it looks like just the kind of thing up my alley but unfortunately my PC can't handle it so it'll have to wait :(.

Doing this list made me realize how much most of the games I continue to play are from pre-2006. Not sure what that says hah.
    Last edited by noxnoctum; 24-01-2013 at 06:34 AM.

I'm kind of shocked to see New Vegas charting so high... But then again I'm one of those grumpy old Fallout nerds that's still butthurt because of what "they" did to one of my favorite FPG franchises. Also, AP is on the list? Really? RPS really likes their RPGs mediocre and riddled with bugs and broken mechanics :P

I jest... (not really)
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Hey folks. In case you've not noticed I've started a separate thread for the FPS discussion so if you've made a list here then please copy and paste it there so I can tally it up. Cheers

Thread here - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l-time-edition

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    I'm kind of shocked to see New Vegas charting so high... But then again I'm one of those grumpy old Fallout nerds that's still butthurt because of what "they" did to one of my favorite FPG franchises. Also, AP is on the list? Really? RPS really likes their RPGs mediocre and riddled with bugs and broken mechanics :P

I jest... (not really)
    Some people value something more in games than polish. AP didn't have any really game breaking bugs and mechanics were adequate. Instead it delivered splendidly in characters, world, conversation and stabbing people in the neck.

Weird that you said fallout was one of your fav franchise. F1 and F2 were broken for years. It took almost a decade of modders work to make the games complete and bug free. You shouldn't hold brokenness against AP then

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Weird that you said fallout was one of your fav franchise. F1 and F2 were broken for years.
    Still are in some ways. A big chunk of the skills are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Still are in some ways. A big chunk of the skills are useless.
    And the trunk of my car is still missing.

Weird that you said fallout was one of your fav franchise. F1 and F2 were broken for years. It took almost a decade of modders work to make the games complete and bug free. You shouldn't hold brokenness against AP then
    Well I don't really consider either game to be broken (both have some really wonky mechanics for sure), but you do have a point. There is a shitload of nostalgia for me when it comes to the original two Fallout games, and I really doubt that I'd be as forgiving of them if there was not.

But yea I'm one of those guys who takes gameplay over story any day of the week when it comes to games, so that's why I kind of sneer at most Obsidian games when it comes to things like this - including AP and NV XD
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    And the trunk of my car is still missing.
    The salesman said they come out of the factory like that.

I need to change my list to include Batman AA and/or AC. Please take this into account with the collation. Thankyou.

That is nonsense, really. Fallout 1 and 2 were perfectly playable, perfectly complete games on release. They did not need the work of modders to make them work or complete. Any bugs or missing content/features of the Fallout games were not a big deal at the time of release. Unlike AP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    That is nonsense, really. Fallout 1 and 2 were perfectly playable, perfectly complete games on release. They did not need the work of modders to make them work or complete. Any bugs or missing content/features of the Fallout games were not a big deal at the time of release. Unlike AP.
    Are we talking about the same Fallout 2? The one that originally had multiple ways to corrupt your savegame and a ton of broken features/quests? The one that has an unofficial patch which fixes over 800 bugs? I suppose it's perfectly playable in the sense that you can actually complete it and it's not quite as terribly buggy as Troika's games tend to be, but that's setting the bar rather low.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Are we talking about the same Fallout 2? The one that originally had multiple ways to corrupt your savegame and a ton of broken features/quests? The one that has an unofficial patch which fixes over 800 bugs? I suppose it's perfectly playable in the sense that you can actually complete it and it's not quite as terribly buggy as Troika's games tend to be, but that's setting the bar rather low.
    I didn't need an unofficial patch to stop it from crashing every two hours, *cough*.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    OK, I'll grant Fallout2 had some bug issues at release. But they were largely fixed by the official patch, shortly after release. It didn't need a decade of work by modders to be a playable and enjoyable game.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    OK, I'll grant Fallout2 had some bug issues at release. But they were largely fixed by the official patch, shortly after release. It didn't need a decade of work by modders to be a playable and enjoyable game.
    Instead Troika Games had the nerve to go bankrupt, the inconsiderate bastards. Tim Cain should be dragged to your living room in chains.