Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    It's not rocket science. Just count up the first ten choices someone lists, and compile an aggregate list of the top 25. Putting more than ten doesn't matter if you only count the ten (although I do prefer it if they're separated by something like honorable mention). Why should having less than ten matter? Not voting is also a choice, even if the only thing you'll get from it is a smaller voice.

GENIUS! Carry on the good work.

Ok then, mine would be:

Team Fortress 2
    Football Manager 2012
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    Hotline Miami
    Bastion
    World of Goo
    Just Cause 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Portal
    Burnout Paradise

Recent purchases Saints Row: The Third and Skyrim will probably end up on this sort of list, but I've not enough time invested in them yet.

1. Dishonored
    2. Xcom: EU
    3. The witcher 2
    4. Frog fractions
    5. Metro 2033
    6. Fallout: New Vegas
    7. Deus Ex: HR
    8. To the moon
    9. The walking dead
    10. Ass Bro.
    Last edited by Avish; 10-01-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: (typo)

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    8. MATLAB (2009 Release).
    It's the only game my wife plays and it's also the main reason we bought a strong gaming computer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    What the hell is MATLAB?

Also, in no order:

Company of Heroes
    Skyrim
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Mount and Blade: Warband
    Total War (I couldn't pick between any since Medieval 2)
    Mass Effect 2
    GTA IV (crap port, but I enjoy the game itself)
    Assassins Creed (I think)
    ARMA 2
    Left 4 Dead

There's probably so many that would interchange with these games so it's not a great list.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    What the hell is MATLAB?
    A math program for engineers and the like.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After a year of Matlabbing I'm looking forward to going back to R.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    A math program for engineers and the like.
    Oh right, I googled it, but I thought everyone was talking about a game so I assumed that wasn't it.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Oh right, I googled it, but I thought everyone was talking about a game so I assumed that wasn't it.
    If you want a good math game play Frog Fractions. It really nails the basics.

Total War: Shogun 2 (2011)
    Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
    Medieval 2: Total War (2006)
    The Walking Dead (2012)
    Dark Souls (2012)
    Batman Arkham City (2011)
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
    The Witcher 2 (2011)
    Mass Effect 1 (2007)
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (2010)
    Last edited by duff; 10-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    8. MATLAB (2009 Release).
    R2010b fo' life yo!

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    It's the VTMB of the 2010s. Though it probably wont ever get the same attention in terms of community patching as the stuff that's wrong with it isn't completely game breaking as was the case with VTMB and some of it's biggest deficiencies (iffy AI and fairly tedious minigames) probably aren't the easiest things to mod.
    There are a few useful .ini tweaks, which make the overall playing experience a bit smoother. I posted most of them in this thread. Unfortunately, rather like Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol is nearly impossible to modify in any substantial way. It's a shame, because even some minor changes could enhance the gameplay quite a lot.

Ah well, maybe it's for the best. We'd probably just get a dozen "romance Sis" mods anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    But yes, Alpha Protocol, have to see if I can't find that cheap somewhere.
    Be warned, Alpha Protocol is very much a love-it or hate-it game. This forum really loves it, but judging by its review scores most people don't. Funnily enough, while I'd say it's overall the best game on my list, it's also the one that caused me the most ire.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Be warned, Alpha Protocol is very much a love-it or hate-it game.
    I thought it was great. A couple of the boss fights however, were some of the more maddeningly frustrating gaming moments of my life.

-Team Fortress 2. Even though I no longer play it, and most likely never will again, it's the most fun I've ever had playing multiplayer. And I don't know about now, but back when I played, it's balance was just perfect.
    -Mount & Blade. It's just perfect, if I could only play one game for the rest of my life that would be Warband.
    -Batman: Arkham City. In my opinion it got everything that made Arkham Asylum and made it even better, and added more great stuff on top of it.
    -Alpha Protocol: It did some thing poorly, it did some things awesomely. In the end, it's a perfect metaphor for both what games could be and what games are. There's not a single sequel I want more.
    -Crusader Kings II: It's clever, it's addictive, its different. Truly and innovative game, really deep and well thought.
    -Dawn of War II: As much as Retribution is the way to go for skirmish games, the campaign on this one was just too fun for me not to put it in here.
    -Company of Heroes: Probably the best RTS out there for fun skirmishes. It is everything it should be.
    -The Witcher: Sets the bar for what a modern CRPG should be.
    -Minecraft: Imitated by hundreds, matched by none.
    -Saints Row: The third: I expected to have fun with this, but not lnearly as much as I did. I actually think it's the most FUN game I've played on the last years.

Honorable mention:
    Dwarf Fortress: This isn't on the full list just because I don't know if it counts (first alpha release happened on 2006).

Obscure Node
    1. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
    2. Batman: Arkham City
    3. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    4. The Witcher 2
    5. Dragon Age: Origins
    6. Fallout 3
    7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    8. Neverwinter Nights 2
    9. Serious Sam 3
    10. Left 4 Dead 2
    --
    I've only included games I'm satisfied I've completed. Fallout:NV would be swapped for F3 if at the time I came to it it wasn't so broken ( I came to F3 on patch 1.7).
    Also, a number of games made prior to 2006 have continued being relevant in recent times (certainly in my world) such as Morrowind (overhaul sound and graphics, Tamriel Rebuilt (WOW!)), given the chance I would've added a few of these labelling the mod, as I think it's an aspect of PC gaming I find the most wonderful, that being games shine on and on and on by the hand of skilled mod makers, and perhaps in an alternate top 10 would deserve great recognition !! :)
    Last edited by Necroscope; 10-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    -Team Fortress 2. Even though I no longer play it, and most likely never will again, it's the most fun I've ever had playing multiplayer. And I don't know about now, but back when I played, it's balance was just perfect.
    Almost included this for the same reasons. It's the only MP-only game I've ever played lots of, but couldn't justify including it seeing as last time I played was pre Demoman/Soldier update.

Alpha Protocol was actually the last Eurogamer Retrospective from our very own Richard Cobbett - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-retrospective. Probably some mild spoilers/allusions in there for those who haven't played it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    EDIT: This list has been edited!

In no particular order:

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
    X3: Albion Prelude / Terran Conflict
    Wargame: European Escalation
    Mass Effect 3
    The Witcher
    Supreme Commander
    GRID
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Any of them really (If I had to choose, i'd pick SoC)
    Shogun 2: Total War.
    Fallout: New Vegas
    Last edited by Grizzly; 17-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    X3 has gotten a surprising amount of support on this list!

Hum, hum...

Fallout New Vegas - The only open-world game I've ever cared enough about to explore with no aim in mind other than exploring
    Virtua Tennis 4 - Funny, creepy, barely at all based on tennis. At the end you fight the King of Tennis in an opera hall.
    Company of Heroes - The only multiplayer RTS I've ever bothered with, thanks to that awesome combination of everything exploding and the squads sassing you.
    Hitman Blood Money - It's a parody of a murder simulator. Use [explosives] on [piano] in [clown costume]
    Team Fortress 2 - My life has disappeared thanks to the world's premier hat simulator. I've nearly got Pyro sorted
    Europa Universalis 3 - The bit where you tip over into full-blown empire is the best exponential growth phase since discovering satellites in SMAC
    Shogun 2 Total War - I'd absolutely given up on Total War before this, but they finally did what my dad always advised about dancing and kept it compact
    Dragon Age Origins - I've played this three times for some reason, choosing a ridiculously awkward way each time. Best dog in a game.
    Left 4 Dead - Eight getting ate at 8 was my catchphrase for a year. It's not a great catchphrase admittedly.
    Portal 2 - The best-written comedy in a game ever

Honorable Mentions: Spacechem, Alfalfa Protocol, Bastion, Mass Effect 2, Football Manager, Dreamfall, Just Cause 2, Arkham Asylum

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Be warned, Alpha Protocol is very much a love-it or hate-it game. This forum really loves it, but judging by its review scores most people don't. Funnily enough, while I'd say it's overall the best game on my list, it's also the one that caused me the most ire.
    Alpha Protocol tends to get rather low review scores because its implementation was a bit on the shakey side. The gunplay wasn't very good, the interface was irritating at times, a lot of the voicework was laughable and balance wasn't even attempted. But that doesn't matter to me, none of those are even close to game breaking, and what Alpha Protocol did well was something no other game has done and is so important. Choice. Meaningful choice. You don't just get light side or dark side points, your choices drastically affect character relationships and even the game's narrative and structure. Who likes you? Who hates you? Which mission area did you do first? How stealthy or murderous were you? All of these things make serious changes and I loved that. I'm sick of all the games in which you're either saint or Satan, the only difference in practice being that people will either worship the ground you walk on or call you an asshole.

So yeah, if you're prepared to overlook some flawed gameplay (not bad, just flawed), you can find a real gem in Alpha Protocol.