Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Wonder why it matters so much for some people.

I'd keep the RTSs and city builders. They're not going anywhere. But I don't play RTSs and city builders 100% of the time.
    I don't care either way. If the list was for console as well then some Halo games would definitely be in there, as well as some other 360/PS3 exclusives.

All the platform dickwaving wars are just a colossal waste of time, serving no purpose other than promoting the products of companies who do not give a single shit about you, your wants or your opinions. PC escapes that slightly due to not being a singly-owned platform, but ultimately the same stuff is at the root of it all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I don't care either way.

[...]

All the platform dickwaving wars are just a colossal waste of time, serving no purpose other than promoting the products of companies who do not give a single shit about you, your wants or your opinions. PC escapes that slightly due to not being a singly-owned platform, but ultimately the same stuff is at the root of it all.
    ...then why'd you bring it up?

The whole PC MASTER RACE thing was quite subdued in this conversation. Hell, nobody even yelled at me for my CoDMW suggestion, and that's usually the banner-waver for Everything That's Wrong With Our Dumbed Down Console Monkey Culture (yet still a seminal piece of modern gaming.)
    Last edited by Nalano; 11-01-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

...then why'd you bring it up?

The whole PC MASTER RACE thing was quite subdued in this conversation.
    As in wondering what PC-only lists would look like? Genuinely just out of interest as to what peoples favourite "core" games might be, ie. those most likely consigned to strategy, sim, turn-based, adventure etc genres. And because I suspet finding 10 great, non-multiplatform games released since 2006 could be tricky for some people.

True that this thread has been fairly muted with regards to the old Master Race, but there are others round here that get infected with it quite a bit and certain users who almost embody it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    LALALA let's not go there.

Can we count IL2 : 1946? Yes let's. Good game, that.
    steam: sketch

In no order.

Football Manager 2011
    Assassins Creed 2
    FTL
    Fallout NV
    Torchlight
    Company of Heroes
    Crusader Kings 2
    Battlefield 3 (Yes, I know)
    Anno 1404
    IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
    Oh, and Mount and Blade Warband

And some others I'm sure I missed
    Last edited by Raaritsgozilla; 11-01-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Like many of you, I suspect my list would otherwise be populated by many of my to-play backlog, but here we go....

Minecraft
    M&B: Warband
    Just Cause 2
    World of Goo
    Binding of Isaac
    Portal 2
    AssCreed 2
    Gothic 3 (I'm sure nobody else put this simply because you all forgot it came out as recently as 2006, ushering in the modern era of gaming. Right??)
    Driver: SF
    Plants vs. Zombies

Just misses:

FTL
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    GRID
    Anno 1404
    Scratches

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Wonder what people's lists would have looked like if we had a No Multiplatform rule. Mine would have two games left on it.
    i believe mine would go down to 6.

do i win a master race tote bag, then?

i think i would like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Hell, nobody even yelled at me for my CoDMW suggestion, and that's usually the banner-waver for Everything That's Wrong With Our Dumbed Down Console Monkey Culture (yet still a seminal piece of modern gaming.)
    Because CoDMW was actually a breath of fresh air in the military shooter genre at the time (ie not yet another WW2 shooter trying to capture the brilliance of Allied Assault) by doing something a bit different. If you'd chosen MW2 on the other hand (ie same game, shorter single player, no invention) you'd probably have at least got some questioning replies.

Banned
    I picked MW2(same game, just turned up to 11) and I didn't get any questioning replies.

Of course the fact that most people have me on ignore(either using forum software or simply their brains) might have played a part in that

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Because CoDMW was actually a breath of fresh air in the military shooter genre at the time (ie not yet another WW2 shooter trying to capture the brilliance of Allied Assault) by doing something a bit different.
    I thought Battlefield 2 did that years ago before it's release. But I guess it just made the MMM fashionable again
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I picked MW2(same game, just turned up to 11) and I didn't get any questioning replies.

Of course the fact that most people have me on ignore(either using forum software or simply their brains) might have played a part in that
    Well I had a blast with MW2, both in singleplayer and multiplayer. It was my first CoD since the first though so there was quite a bit of novelty to it. And even though I managed to have some fun in multi it was often laggy as hell and annoying with the imbalanced akimbo weapons and ridiculously easy knife kills.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Because I previously listed less than ten, I will now add two that I forgot:

Just Cause 2
    ARMA 2
    JC2 has to be on the list because it's the best imaginary vacation I've ever spent.

EDIT: I have now added these to my earlier post.
    Last edited by Velko; 11-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    i believe mine would go down to 6.

do i win a master race tote bag, then?

i think i would like that.
    It's in the mail, along with some stickers and the stereotype-dictated 5XL t-shirt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post

It was an honourable mention, I might have been more inclined to question you if you'd said it was top 10!

@ Voon

True, I guess the face Battlefield is even more focused on multiplayer than Modern Warfare meant it passed me by.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 11-01-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    It was an honourable mention, I might have been more inclined to question you if you'd said it was top 10!
    It was an honourable mention because they're asking $60 for a five hours long game, which is insane.

(I pretend MP doesn't exist in the entire CoD series, otherwise I get these attacks)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Mohorovicic,why don't you post your list,i'm interested to see what you like :D

I guess this is in order... At least that's how I feel about the top 3, after that it starts getting kind of murky.

Portal - I hate the phenomenon that this game became and the following that it generated. I hate this simply because it clouds the awesome brilliance that is the game itself. But just the extent of this following, with all the shitty "still alive" recitations on youtube and cake memes on reddit and the fact that it's still relevant is just further proof for me of just how brilliant Portal actually is. It is the best game since '06, there is no doubt in my mind about that, but it is also probably my favorite PC game of this time frame as well and it is definitely the game I played through the most times (not counting stuff that is made to be replayed over and over, like Isaac and Civ V).

Minecraft - This game is like the antithesis to Portal when design is concerned, and playing it for the 1st time was like a "burning bush" type revelation (especially for a kid that grew up playing with Lego, before Lego became overpriced junk that purposefully limits what you can do with it). In some ways I see Portal as the pure distilled pinnacle of the closed off, linear game design and Minecraft as the first real step towards a truly open next generation game where the player's imagination is the only limitation. And as much as it's fun to play around in this sandbox, survive and build, it is also a bit humbling to see what others are capable to do with it.

Dark Souls - So if Minecraft was like finding religion this game is definitely like joining a cult. I played it on the PS3 first and the excitement surrounding this game around it's first few months was more than palpable. And the game that generated that excitement was more than deserving because it provided me with an experience that was incomparable to anything else that I've played before. It is an action RPG with an amazing combat system that emphasized exploration above all, be it with it's cryptic story and lore or tricky and oftentimes ingenious world design. Even encountering a new enemy felt like an exploration because to dispatch most of them efficiently you need to learn to recognize and counter their set of moves. With this the game rewards deliberate and observant players, and punishes the "act before you think" behavior that most other games have conditioned us for all these years. On top of that there is the crushing atmosphere and the unbelievable boss fights, that together with the harsh but deliberately designed difficulty make it one of the most cathartic and exhilarating games ever made.

Here's the rest of my picks:

The Witcher 2
    GTA 4
    Team Fortress 2
    Civilization V
    Braid
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Dragon Age: Origins
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Because I previously listed less than ten, I will now add two that I forgot:

Just Cause 2
    ARMA 2

JC2 has to be on the list because it's the best imaginary vacation I've ever spent.
    Please edit your previous post, it makes it easier to count.

Wonder what people's lists would have looked like if we had a No Multiplatform rule. Mine would have two games left on it.
    It would look like a different bunch of lists. It would also look different if you removed the time period, or if you included drinking games.

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Games are games. I have no time for your petty tribalism.
    And this is a petty tribalistic argument, put forth through sheer belligerency. Seriously, this would be like going to the Freshwater Aquarium Club and complaining about the lack of salt water fish. Since you have the ability to start a thread of your own and chose not to, it sounds like you came looking for a fight or to derail a thread. Which is shitty.
    Last edited by Internet; 11-01-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar
    In order of the amount of time I spent playing:

Mount & Blade: Warband
    Football Manager 2010
    ArmA 2
    Crusader Kings 2
    Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45
    The Witcher
    Men of War
    Anno 1404
    Sword of the Stars
    STALKER: SoC
    Blackwell Deception

There are a few games like RACE 07, Wargame:EE and Frozen Synapse that would've been there if I get myself into them properly but other games provide too much of distraction. If the list is a tad longer I would put Hotline Miami, VVVVVV, Medieval 2:TW, EU3 and Company of Heroes in there.

EDIT: Oh I put an extra game in there. Just go along with it.
    Last edited by AlonePlusEasyTarget; 11-01-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

Steam|Last.FM

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I can already see top games so far hah,STALKER:SoC,CoH,Arma 2,M&B:Warband,CoH..