Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

I have edited my list - be warned, whoever is compiling the list right now.
    Nooooo, you can't do that. There's a couple of alterations I want to make, and if you do it and I do it then everyone can do it and it'll be chaos I tells ya, chaos!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Nooooo, you can't do that. There's a couple of alterations I want to make, and if you do it and I do it then everyone can do it and it'll be chaos I tells ya, chaos!
    But DUDE, it's THE WITCHER.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    In no particular order:
    F.E.A.R. Combat (mp only)
    CoD4
    Darksiders II
    Torchlight 2
    Bastion
    LoL
    Terarria
    Half Life E2
    Army of two (nobody said pc specific)
    Fallout 3 (with all the dlc)
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

FEAR MP was the very first time I ever played online multiplayer. Oh the memories.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Obscure Node
    I guess the three i've enjoyed the most so far are Fallout 3, Deus Ex Human Revolution and The Witcher 2. My other favourites go beyond 2006!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Army of two (nobody said pc specific)

Actually considering we are on pc focused site,in pc section speaking about pc games..hm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    (nobody said pc specific)
    Nobody had to. It's pretty much assumed.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Not to drive the nail in further, but the thread title is Who can do it better than IGN? Your top 25 PC games since 2006?

(unless it's just been speedily edited, that is)

Top Ten:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    (Pow! Biff!Punch! Slam! Let down by fucking collectables, RPG elements and sometruly whack boss fights. Gets bonus points for having oracle and the B:TAS cast).
    Crysis (Beautiful, fun, different,memorable. Makes you feel like a god, which is why the toughness ofKoreans is often very annoying. Let down by the aliens being dull tofight, suck vehicles sections and turning my processor into moltenscrap. Different enough from other shooters to still merit a top 10 place).
    Europa Universalis 3 (Epic worldconquering strategy. Shallow enough for me to understand, complexenough for me not to get bored.)
    Fallout: New Vegas (Great storytelling,great world, great characters. The most interesting video gamefictional universe I can think of. Great DLC. Great mods. Greatfights. Dream job would be writing and designing the next good FOgame)
    Left 4 Dead 2 (Almost solely played iton modded versus servers 10vs10. Leads to great hilarity and epicanecdotes and take out a lot of the frustration, QQing and teamstacking that cripples regular versus)
    Mass Effect 2 (Great writing, greatvisuals, great characters (Sans Jacob), Martin Sheen. Greatestweakness is in the plot: As a middle game it feels like Shepherd isjust killing time. Mass Effect universe has it's faults but surpassesDragon Age in really getting into my head. Lack of lesbian romanceoption makes me :(
    Mirror's Edge (Story sucks, cutscenessucks, characters suck other than Faith looks amazing. Some of thesections suck, the last section sucks, sometimes confusing where youhave to go. Telling then how amazing the free running looks and feelsthat despite all these suckyness its still an all-time fave for me.Nothing like it, treat yourself and play it.)
    Saints Row 2 (Far more compelling andmemorable than it's sequel, vastly cooler and more stylish. Let downby slowdown and weak vehicles controls but never fatally).
    Team Fortress 2 (The ultimate game. Ihad to uninstall it to stop me playing it all the time. Well designedmaps that don't result in being attacked from all sides, well balanced classes that lead to variety and everyone having a role, clean looking visuals that great enhance gameplay).
    The Binding of Isaac (Like learning amartial art. At first enemies attack pattern seem utterlyunpredictable and if you get to floor 3 you're amazing. After a fewdozen or so runs you can see through them so easily you wonder howyou were ever hit. Then it steps its game up. Disgusting, creativeand addictive this is a flash game I spent more than 100 hoursplaying)

Honorable Mentions:

Company of Heroes (Fun squad leveltactics with some really fun missions, mostly the defense ones. Letdown by tank rushing, mostly mine)
    Dragon Age: Origins (About as interesting as vanilla fantasy can get but still not as memorable as its stable-mate, Mass Effect 2. Fights can get a little grindy and the ending is weak. In retrospect, it should have been a warning for ME3. Great the first time through but with no re-playability value. Nice to play a Bioware game where the primary male companion it's a bland piece of cardboard).
    Just Cause 2 (Gorgeous and great, mindless fun but the health system sometimes causes me to shatter my teeth in frustration and the fact I can't use my grapple lines to bring down heli-s and jets pisses me off. Sometimes a little bland)
    Half Life 2: Episode 2 (Enjoyed it morethan the original or ep 1 but not quite filling enough to make a topspot)
    Hitman: Blood Money (Fun and highly replayable, occasionally fiddly and frustrating, plot and characters are poor so it's just as well they're also totally irrelevant. Interesting that how fun it is depends on how you choose to play and the style you yourself imagine. Frustrations made up for by the facts you can go butt-wild and shoot everyone).
    Minecraft (A fun timesink, rejected onmy inability to build anything cool)
    Psychonauts (Technically came out in 05but only in the UK in 06)
    Skyrim (Great but FONV is stillgreater. Guns are more satisfying than its magic and its setting islimited by its super generic fantasy origins. All the badguyslevelling with me also gets on my tits. Ditch TES and write a new universe from scratch with better magic and fewer elves).
    Solium Infernum (Never got the never to play it multiplayer, which means I suck. Even so the amount of creativity, variety and depth of strategy is astounding. After several playthroughs I was till finding new stuff. Gathering resource is frustrating and takes up too much time, better ifit was automatic than an action)
    World of Tanks (Great when you start,super frustrating when you get even level 2 and 3 tanks and get pwnedby pros and artillery. Stick with your original tanks).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja View Post
    Company of Heroes (Fun squad leveltactics with some really fun missions, mostly the defense ones. Letdown by tank rushing, mostly mine)
    If you get to the point where you have enough tanks to rush, then the game was won a long time ago and you're just dicking around.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, since this thread was quickly heading onto the third page back I decided to sum it all up. I wasn't perfect and probably dropped a few here and there. That's everyone's fault for picking 170 separate games. Here are the top Ten:

1. Portal - 25 votes (and 2 for the Orange Box)
    2. Fallout New Vegas - 20 votes
    3. Dragon Age Origins - 19 votes
    4. Mass Effect 2 - 19 votes
    5. Alpha Protocol (sigh) - 17 votes
    6. Company of Heroes - 16 votes
    7. Dark Souls - 16 votes
    8. Witcher 2 - 16 votes
    9. Team Fortress 2 - 15 votes (and 2 for the Orange box)
    10. Stalker SoC - 15 votes

And round it out with the top 28:

11. Deus Ex Human Revolution - 14 votes
    12. Minecraft - 13 votes
    13. Arkham Asylum - 11 votes
    14. Skyrim - 11 votes
    15. Mass Effect - 10 votes
    16. Walking Dead - 10 votes
    17. Witcher - 10 votes
    18. Arma II - 9 votes
    19. Fallout 3 - 9 votes
    20. Hitman Blood Money - 9 votes
    21. Mount and Blade Warband - 9 votes.
    22. Portal 2 - 9 votes.
    23. Bastion - 8 votes
    24. Bioshock -8 votes
    25. Crusader Kings II, Crysis, Just Cause 2, and Left For Dead 2 - 8 votes

If you want to count up a specific game and show where I'm wrong, that's cool. I'll edit it later. It shouldn't matter for most of the top ten, they were clearly ahead. For reference, here's the IGN list.

25. Far Cry 2.
    24. Batman Arkham Asylum.
    23. Amnesia.
    22. Crysis.
    21. Sins of a Solar Empire.
    20. Minceraft.
    19. DXHR.
    18. Diablo III.
    17. Left4Dead2.
    16. League of Legends.
    15. WoW Cataclysm.
    14. GTA IV.
    13. Borderlands.
    12. Civ V.
    11. Mass Effect 2.
    10. Total War: Shogun 2.
    9. The Witcher 2.
    8. Team Fortress 2.
    7. Fallout 3.
    6. Portal 2.
    5. Company of Heroes.
    4. StarCraft II.
    3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
    2. Half Life 2: Episode 2.
    1. BioShock.

So, 14 of the 28 RPS games were the on both lists. While only 4 of IGN's top ten were in the forum's top ten. The most notable absences on the IGN list would probably be Dark Souls and Stalker, which didn't have another in the series on it.
    Last edited by Internet; 20-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If you get to the point where you have enough tanks to rush, then the game was won a long time ago and you're just dicking around.
    Indeed, but I find orchestrating a good defence to be gratly rewarding. All those little men rushing to their deaths, all of those tanks exploding, and your own forces barely getting scratched...

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Judging by this list, the games RPS users prefer above all else are RPGs and shooters. And RPGs that happen to be shooters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I expected STALKER higher on the list..WHY NO U LIKE STALKER MOAAR! :v

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I expected STALKER higher on the list..WHY NO U LIKE STALKER MOAAR! :v
    Well, CoP and Clear Sky got 5 more votes.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Judging by this list, the games RPS users prefer above all else are RPGs and shooters. And RPGs that happen to be shooters.
    judging by this list, i disagree heartily with the hivemind.

(alpha protocol? seriously?)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Have to say, that's not a bad list.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    judging by this list, i disagree heartily with the hivemind.

(alpha protocol? seriously?)
    Experimental is not the same as good, and Obsidian is my favorite game dev.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Experimental is not the same as good, and Obsidian is my favorite game dev.
    pretty much. it seems to be a classic case of overcompensating for the underdog; it did get more flak than it deserved from critics because it was ambitious and it was an enjoyable game, but the over-correction went a bit too far.

also, thanks for putting this together!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Pleasing to see an equal 50/50 sequel/new game mix.