Windows Vista User Account Control

You'd be forgiven for thinking that this question has fallen through a wormhole from 2007, but...

I've recently been gifted a nice PC that has Windows Vista Home Premium (64bit) installed. Don't mock, until then I was using XP. My question is whether it's advisable to switch the annoying UAC prompts off or not. I'm the only user of the PC in question (although I have a small home network that includes one wireless laptop and one ethernet-connected PC). I generally know what I'm doing when it comes to what things to install (or not) and my wife (the user of the other machines on the network) is very unlikely to do anything stupid either.

So can I switch UAC off in relative safety? I managed just fine without such tiresome prompts with XP for many years. Or is there some special reason that Vista needs an extra layer of idiot-proofing?

Thanks in advance. Oh - and I know I should get a newer OS, but I'm broke and it's not that annoying.

TT

You'd be perfectly fine without it. It's just an overparanoid thing that only people who use computers to check their email would ever need.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I've always had it switched off. It's too chatty for my liking.

Thanks for the advice - will disable. I think I'm correct in assuming that it'll make it no less secure than Windows XP is/was?

You'd assume correct.

Thank you.