Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

And the new owners of the Homeworld IP are...

Gearbox! Wait... wha?

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/commu...ion-and-plans/

Certainly didn't expect that outcome. At least they mention plans to rerelease Homeworld and Homeworld 2 on digital distribution services as a priority for now, but who's looking forward to the inevitable FPS game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Right now I wouldn't trust Gearbox to bag my groceries, let alone handle a popular gaming franchise.

Not expected.

Mood: Cautious pessimism

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Mood: Cautious pessimism
    Same here, if only because Gearbox has only ever done FPS's (as far as I know). Not to say that a genre-focused developer cannot branch out successfully. We shall see.

This is assuming they develop themselves, and don't farm it out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox’s interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today’s leading digital platforms"

Well that's not a good start...

The next Homeworld will be about shooting things rather than ordering around underlings to shoot at things. I called it.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    "Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox’s interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today’s leading digital platforms"

Why? I read that as "hey, we're going to bring them to Steam and GoG"...

Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post

That seems like the best place to start. Get a potential new audience for the IP going before you create a new entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Why? I read that as "hey, we're going to bring them to Steam and GoG"...
    Yup, that's probably the best bit.
    Maybe Seph is afraid it only refers to steam and not gog.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Maybe he's afraid they mean consoles.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Maybe he's afraid they mean consoles.

Exactly that squire

Network Hub
    Ah yep, I can see how you could've misread it now.

If this had happened a few years ago I might've been cautiously optimistic (or at least intrigued to see what they do), but DNF, Colonial Marines, and Borderlands 2 have happened in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Ah yep, I can see how you could've misread it now.

If this had happened a few years ago I might've been cautiously optimistic (or at least intrigued to see what they do), but DNF, Colonial Marines, and Borderlands 2 have happened in that time.
    To be fair, DNF was them polishing it after it's been crapped out by it's original devs and sold to them while Colonial Marines was outsourced to another studio. Borderlands 2 was actually fun to play
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Borderlands 2 is brilliant, thanks.

The others, not so much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Brothers in arms: Earned in Blood's squad leading first person coop+Homeworld 2 Multiplayer setting?

Yeah... I'm pretty far off base. Shame sega didn't buy it, maybe they still will.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Borderlands 2 was great, but basically everything else Gearbox has done has ranged from "meh" to "That was actually pretty good" (Opposing Forces).

That being said: As long as they bring Homeworld to GoG I am okay with it. I'll probably just pretend 3 didn't exist. And if they try to make a sequel, SEGA aren't stupid. They'll get Relic to make a "spiritual successor".

Of course, I am also not even sure if I would really trust Relic to make a sequel at this point, but whatever.
    [edit]That isn't to say that I don't like Relic. These days, they are the only devs who make RTSes that I consistently like (Sins of a Solar Empire and the tactical parts of the Total Wars are very hit or miss for me, and I only really like Starcraft 2 for the plot since I grew up playing SC1 and Brood Wars). But their overall shift has led to a focus on small scale skirmishes with a lot of micro management which doesn't translate as well to a 3d-battle (since Homeworld was always more macro outside of specific units)[/edit].
    Last edited by gundato; 22-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

The Brothers in Arms games were decent I thought. Maybe the same kind of approach would work with small spaceship squadrons? Just trying to see a positive in this.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I think Gearbox are pretty good devs, they just really messed up with the management of Aliens CM and shipped what they could with DNF.

I think it could have been a lot worse.
    steam: sketch

This seriously destroyed my evening.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    and shipped what they could with DNF.
    If you find yourself with a game that's anything like DNF, you take it out on a boat, dump it in the middle of the ocean, and pretend it never happened. You do not release it.

Maybe it was a less-than-disastrous business decision to shove it out the door, but holy crap what a disgusting embarrassment. Also, Randy Pitchford.