Darkout - has anyone from here bought the game?

Darkout is an Terraria-like game. I found it the Alphafunding section on Desura (http://www.desura.com/games/darkout).
    The informations about this game are a bit sparse and there is just a trailer and some screenshots.
    I like this sort of games, but i do not want shell out 11.99 Euro for a unknown game. So my question is, has anyone bought it and have some impressions to share?

Network Hub
    Ditto seems to have dropped with very little info on what you actually do in it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Too dark for me...

Network Hub
    Anyone take a punt on it?

I'd seen it on Greenlight before but haven't tried it since it's $15 and multiplayer won't be in at the 1.0 release.

People on Desura seem to be having fun from the comments, though.

And it's in beta, as opposed to alpha, supposedly.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    I'd seen it on Greenlight before but haven't tried it since it's $15 and multiplayer won't be in at the 1.0 release.

People on Desura seem to be having fun from the comments, though.

And it's in beta, as opposed to alpha, supposedly.
    Albeit with the usual beta buggyness. Thing is I don't really know what you do in game, they make it out to be Terraria in space but is that literally it? They also have said that there is base building but I haven't seen any. So im not sure whether this is going for Metroid sort of gameplay or just a take on Terraria.

Network Hub
    Yeah don't get this game. It's rubbish. The most optimal strategy is to box yourself in and do nothing. It's awful. No reason to explore and it doesn't have any "survival" mechanics.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    So it's in the current Groupees bundle for, um 75 cents I think, though you have to pick a minimum of 2 games so call it a dollar fifty.

I installed it last night, muddled through the terse menu, got into the game and didn't have a clue what to do. Wandered about a bit, seemingly getting attacked by invisible enemies - except they weren't invisible they were just almost impossible to see against the dark backgrounds. So I died and re-spawned back at my crashed ship, where the crowd of enemies still were. So I died. And re-spawned back at the same crash-site. So I ran. That's when things took a turn for the worse and black splotches with red eyes spawned and chased me down and killed me. So I quit out of the game and it crashed.

Trying to go back in made the computer hang (oh and it reacts funnily to alt-tabbing out) so eventually I deleted the character and world I'd made and tried again but I eventually had to re-boot the computer altogether before I was able to make a new world.

And I died. But not before digging a hole and harvesting some copper. So, success.

I had a quick read of a beginners guide before bed last night and it does seem a bit frantic to begin with. If you don't turtle early you're going to get over-whelmed and die very quickly. It's nowhere near as easy-going as Terraria was at the start.

Of course, it's still in Alpha so I'm not complaining, exactly, just pointing out that it's not super-polished or bug-free as yet.

Still worlds better than Realm Explorers from the previous Greenlight bundle on Groupees. (Not to be confused with Planet Explorer from Pathea which is ace.)