Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    What kind of RPG will this be,third person real time combat like witcher or something else ?

Cool song,nice looking trailer,i need more!

You should include this description of teaser on youtube.

The teaser shows how the Psycho Squad might acquire a new member.

The Psycho Squad specializes in combating "psychos" -- individuals who overuse implants and substances that boost or otherwise alter the human body.

There comes a point when they overdose on these innovations, and their bodies start to rebel against their biological body parts as well as all things organic around them. Simply put, they start killing people, who they now derisively call "meatbags."

When a psycho goes on the rampage, strange things can happen. There's carnage, and the psycho might be taken down by regular police, but they're not always able to get the job done.

When things spin out of control, they call in MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), popularly called the Psycho Squad.
    Nifty. Looks like we do get to be super-cops.

For the record: all I know about this is that it was announced during a presentation I had muted (but had a boobtacular splash image) and that the trailer is nifty :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I've seen "GITS" mentioned several times and all I can think of is curmudgeonly old men (ruling the world?).
    Ghost In The Shell

It's a movie with guns, explosions and tits.

It's incredibly philosophical and thought provoking.

Except for Gwathdring because he's an inferior lifeform.

It's based off a manga of the same name by Masamune Shirow, but it's a completely different story. More like the director's (Mamoru Oshii) vision of the world of GITS.

As for GITS:SAC, it's much faster paced throughout the whole ordeal, but also nowhere near as deep. It does very rarely indulge into some philosophical discourse, but it's a very uncommon rarity, and for the most part it focuses on "Section 9, we have -insert case here-, go solve it while avoiding -insert political maze here-".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    It's one of those weird japanese anime movies where at the end you're even more confused, like Akira. The provoked thoughts are "WTF" and "someone please give me my precious time back".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    It's one of those weird japanese anime movies where at the end you're even more confused, like Akira. The provoked thoughts are "WTF" and "someone please give me my precious time back".
    I'll admit that was my reaction when I first saw it. Well, mostly "wtf", and "why did my brother show me this at the tender age of 12".

Several years later, I decided to revisit it and, if you pay attention to dialogue and detail, and ain't afraid to rewind every now and then to fully process the dialogue (as they can get rather meaty), it delves into true AIs, cyborgs, humans, and what the differences between them all will be when technology has advanced to that point, from the POV of the protagonist, who finds herself unsure of her own nature and even her individuality.

Yeah, probably more effort than anyone is usually willing to go through to watch a movie, but dear god was it worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar

Except for Gwathdring because he's an inferior lifeform.
    Generally I LIKE films that indulge in a bit of surrealism, absurdism, nonsense or wonky and confusing philisophical pondering. I just didn't feel like the philosophy discussed in GITS was discussed particularly well let alone in a way that engaged well with the events happening on screen. I like Sandman, for example. But Sandman has this way of making the surreal feel connected to whatever scraps of concrete occurence exist within a particular story however tiny the obsession with mythology might render those scraps. I think Gaiman slips up a fair bit on this front, but I think he nails it often enough for me to point to Gaiman's graphic novel work and wish GITS had taken notes--possible temporal issues aside.

I'd recommend it to fans of Cyberpunk. It's loved by a lot of them and I can see why. If you like Cyberpunk, don't particularly dislike Anime, and are ok with a slow-ish pacing--try it. Perhaps you will also be disappointed, perhaps not. Judging by how loved it is by people who meet the above requirements that I've talked to, you'll probably also enjoy it if you meet those requirements. I was one of the unlucky few I guess. :P
    Last edited by gwathdring; 11-01-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Hmm I actually quite liked the teaser, very well done, even if not too informative. But I do like how they focused on showcasing the art and setting rather than action/story, fairly unusual approach.

That being said, looks pretty generic as fuck :| but it's CD Projekt so I remain hopeful!
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I bounced off of The Witcher, and kind of filed the series away for another day. This has my full attention.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    GITS had a really cool world, but it spent a lot of time saying very little in a rather drawn out fashion. I liked the characters and the voices and the style and the action sequences and the world building ... but the writing really let me down. Haven't tried GITS SAC ... would you recommend the show based on my issues with the film?
    Yes. It takes what was good about the film (setting, aesthetic, action, characters--altered somewhat to suit the show) and explores that world in a far more interesting fashion, with a lot less ethereal philosophizing. Whenever the future unfolds, I always seem to find something about SAC that is coming into being.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    like Akira
    Akira is not confusing at all if one is to assume that Akira is failed project to create Japanese Dr. Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Akira is not confusing at all if one is to assume that Akira is failed project to create Japanese Dr. Manhattan.
    It's not the story what confuses me, is the escalating level of nonsense up to the climax finale of utter facepalm.

Generally I LIKE films that indulge in a bit of surrealism, absurdism, nonsense or wonky and confusing philisophical pondering. I just didn't feel like the philosophy discussed in GITS was discussed particularly well let alone in a way that engaged well with the events happening on screen.
    Same.

My favorite Cyberpunk at the moment is Snow Crash by Stephenson just-about-tied with by Neuromancer by Gibson.
    Still have to read the latter, but "Snow Crash" already gets one black mark for the unnecessarily lengthened flotilla part.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Still have to read the latter, but "Snow Crash" already gets one black mark for the unnecessarily lengthened flotilla part.
    I'm trying to remember what you'd be referring too ... was there something particularly bad about it or was it just overlong? If the later, I'll trust you. Stephenson has a tendency to make EVERYTHING overlong if you step too far from Snow Crash. I probably just don't remember the parts that dragged. I feel like as a whole it didn't drag too much. in any case It's no where near as clippy as Neuromancer. Neuromancer is one of the more finely edited books I've ever read. Very slick, very pointy.

Also I'm in love with the opening line.

I just had so much fun with Snow Crash. It's so unabashedly ridiculous and it has some cleverness underneath the wonky bits. It opens with a badass car sequence that (very minor joke spoilers) turns out to be a high tech, high stakes pizza delivery.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 11-01-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    There's a big glob of hidden text stashed away in the video, although it'll strain your eyes to read.

Suggests they have another RPG on the way that is much closer to completion, possibly The Witcher 3?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    There's a big glob of hidden text stashed away in the video, although it'll strain your eyes to read.

Suggests they have another RPG on the way that is much closer to completion, possibly The Witcher 3?
    RTFT? It's in last page, both image and transcription.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    RTFT? It's in last page, both image and transcription.
    Oops, I skimmed the thread and managed to miss that, my bad.

Edit- Oh, in my defence the image didn't load properly on my browser.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

I'm trying to remember what you'd be referring too ... was there something particularly bad about it or was it just overlong? If the later, I'll trust you. Stephenson has a tendency to make EVERYTHING overlong if you step too far from Snow Crash. I probably just don't remember the parts that dragged. I feel like as a whole it didn't drag too much. in any case It's no where near as clippy as Neuromancer. Neuromancer is one of the more finely edited books I've ever read. Very slick, very pointy.
    It's just a far too long sequence of describing how Hiro jumps from ship to ship, from vessel to vessel and so forth without any real significance to the story, right before the big "Ok, let's recapitulate what we know so far to explain the whole plot for those who are lost" scene. I really enjoyed all the other parts, but that one could easily have been left out. My memory of the exact order of events is a bit hazy, but I think that's what happened.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

The bit that I thought sucked in Snow Crash was the long and unneccessarily detailed digression with the virtual librarian about Sumerian paleolinguistics. Stephenson does love to show off the research he's done.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Yeah the bit that dragged in Snow Crash was how painful the meta programming language of Sumerian was as a concept. Everything else was great though, I especially love the idea of nation states going away.

Anyway this game looks sweeeeeet, based on my previous experience of Project Red games and my love of cyberpunk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    It's just a far too long sequence of describing how Hiro jumps from ship to ship, from vessel to vessel and so forth without any real significance to the story, right before the big "Ok, let's recapitulate what we know so far to explain the whole plot for those who are lost" scene. I really enjoyed all the other parts, but that one could easily have been left out. My memory of the exact order of events is a bit hazy, but I think that's what happened.
    Neuromancer > Snowcrash

I recall being bitterly disappointed with the latter in truth, despite everyone telling me how goddamn wonderful it was.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Yeah the bit that dragged in Snow Crash was how painful the meta programming language of Sumerian was as a concept.
    I thought it was supposed to be absurd and campy, and I enjoyed it in that sense. But I also thought the idea of neuro-linguistic hacking is really cool as a concept so I enjoyed it from both perspectives. I've also been reading a lot of Sandman, so maybe I just have a fetish for false mythologies blended into pop-culture.

What makes it painful as a concept?

Neuromancer > Snowcrash
    The literary critic in me agrees with you. But I had so much fun with the later that, holistically speaking, they're close for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    What makes it painful as a concept?
    I'd have to re-read it to bring out the exact details. Though for disclosure sake at the time I was reading about Locke and Hume on human perception and my academic background was partly in AI and Programming Languages, so I have a lot of bias. I wonder if astro physicist get as annoyed by FTL travel...

It was a fun concept and taking the cognitive neural science approach of the brain essentially being like a Turing machine I think could work well even as hard sci-fi, which this isn't. It was just something about it being sumerian and linked to magic spells. Just didn't click right. Especially as Stephenson's other big concepts in that book of the web/internet and that nation states would break down into voluntary enclaves are brilliant, it just felt out of place next to them somehow.

Also i'd love to see a game with a setting like "The Diamond Age" as that was a fantastic book, keeping the enclave idea going of course.