Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How do you name your characters?

In pretty much every game ever, you are asked to fill in a name. How do you do it? Do you put your own name in? Your cat's? Your friend's? Do you have separate methods for male and female characters?

For male characters, I have this habit of using the names of Ottoman Sultans. My last Torchlight 2 char was an Engineer named Suleyman (his wolf was called Mr Nibbles). For females however I have always struggled with the names and never seem to come up with anything good. Therefore I was delighted when KOTOR 2 had a built-in Star Wars name-generator (hello, Draax Sassin!).

Share your wisdom and / or quirky habits!

Females usually get Ancient Roman matron names (Aurelia is a current favourite), males usually get my own name or sometimes my dog, or just straight Raar. :39: Not too many males though. Apart from my NeverWinter Nights char, that dude was badass.

Banned
    There was an Ottoman Sultan called Nibbles?

I won't give you my names because you will steal them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    In most DnD or just party-based RPG games I named my party after Septerra Core characters, haven't played party RPGs for ages though so no idea if this habit is still there. If it's just a oneplayer game my current nickname at a time usually suffices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I usually call myself Parker, for mostly injokey reasons. The best part is it's a bland enough name that sometimes a protagonist will actually have it, so I'll suddenly hear it spoken by a voice actor and my mind will collapse.

Network Hub
    Normally Barnox/Banrax, and permutations of it.

Bashrax for a hammer based warrior.
    Magerax for a mage.
    Femrax for my FemShep...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Some are from random generators, some just sounded right for the theme and came from my own imagination, too many are Elvish, and others are from media I've consumed or RPGs I've been in.

In addition to go-to names I have stored up, I have a running roster of more complete characters, and a couple of names with multiple characters attached to them--games where I thought either it wouldn't matter or I'd fit my play to a pres-set character in my head only to become attached to a whole new character developing as I played despite my, at times, direction to the contrary. When appropriate, I'll use a character from my roster. Otherwise I'll see if I like any of my standby names given the context of the game I'm about to play. Finally, if none of that fits, I'll select a new character. If I come up with a concept first I mull that over for a bit before going forward. Then I fiddle with the random names until one of them strikes my fancy or I come up with something better. If I have trouble coming up with a name, concept, or both I wander through any character customization options open to me until something clicks.

If all else fails, I'll grab one of my various foreign language dictionaries and reference books (too often the Elvish one). If nothing seems exciting to me at that point and for some reason this game mattered enough for me to go to such lengths, then I'll probably just shoehorn one of my standby characters into the game hoping that a bit of play will inspire me. This is how I end up with multiple characters attached to the same name. They tend to have things in common, though ... Alternate Universe versions of one-another.

Of course, it's possible I'll do all that, decide it doesn't ACTUALLY matter and use one of my standby names that doesn't have a character attached. Like Gwathdring.

P.S. In party based games (especially Oregon trail) I will sometimes give every character an Emoticon for a name. ):-[ , [:^] , @:-) and *<|:-) defeated an evil warlock this one time.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 14-01-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Oh and when I play online I'm usually 'Another Mr Lizard,' though I tend not to think of multiplayer characters as characters, because I am racist. Also I hardly get to use it anymore because most games just lift my account name from Steam/GFWL/UPlay/etc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I try to name my characters after the setting and culture. Not necessarily the culture present in the game, though, but more like my own vision of it. For example, my standard name for medieval northern warriors is Svitjof Svinbane (male) or Svinhulda Svitjofbane (female). I also name characters after attributes, such as Cato Shroudwalker (stealthy Khajiit).

In some games I just don't care and enter something entirely random.

P.S. Svinhulda isn't marked as misspelled by Chrome. Could it be that it's actually a name? D.S.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    "Soldant."

It's entirely irrelevant in a large number of games these days, particularly with voice acting, so I don't even bother anymore. For female characters sometimes I pick Scarlet or Charlotte because I like both of those names.

Or sometimes I just do something immature and type in "Arsehead" because screw it, it's just going to be appended to a save game, why bother?

I like the sound of the name "Duncan".

And yes, this is why Timmy is my favourite player ever since I heard of his existence in Wake Forest.

I have a few names I lifted from generic fantasy I usually use for everything. I usually go by Vadriar for males and Lesh for females (but I've played male Lesh's). But I don't like those for non fantasy games, so for those I generally just put in not very common first names.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I like the sound of the name "Duncan".
    It's a good one; it fits most settings perfectly, while somehow remaining just slightly exotic.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Fantasy name generator:
    Mash hand/head on keyboard, insert vowels where necessary.

Else I just use a few names that I've been using for years.

Activated Node
    I used to press a number of random keys on my keyboard and then add enough vowels for it to be pronounceable.

So, for example: akjhsdf would become Akejhasdifu (or Akejhasdifa if the character was female).

Now I just use whatever makes sense in context, or if there is voice acting I use the first name of the voice actor like Jennifer or Mark Shepard, for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I use OJ which is my initials, not because I have a fascination with criminals and for females I usually use Netiri or Niala.
    steam: sketch

bad reply, sorry :D

I often use names from characters from books I am currently reading. So Torchlight II became the quest of Joseph K. and his cat Leni.

I... uhh..... I don't really know. If it suits, I got it I guess.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Last game I played that made me name characters was Diablo 3, and my characters from that one where named:

Grom (male Barb)
    Zora (female Wiz)
    Brada (male Monk)
    Gob (male Wiz)
    Foxy Brown (female WD)
    Spade (male DH)
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.