Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pad-friendly multiplayer

Dear friends.

Any suggestions for multiplayer-games that are fun (and balanced) while playing with a pad? I am currently confined to pad-gaming due to my wrists. I have so far found that twitch-shooters are out of the question, considering the reign of mouse + keyboard when it comes to reactions.

Things I have tried that didn't work: NS2 (sadface), BF3, CS.
    Things that I have had reasonable success with: Space Marine (few players sadly), Chivalry and sports-games (naturally).

PS: I do employ xpadder

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    TF2 was fun to muck around with using a gamepad. L4D worked ok--neither is especially "twitchy" in my book, and one of them is typically CO-OP. I don't play very many multiplayer games, so unfortunately I can't help you that much beyond this.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Burnout Paradise? People still play that?

I've only tried two multiplayer sessions of XCom (and got my arse kicked both times) but that game works, in my opinion, far better (MP and single player) with a pad than mousey-mousey.

Was gonna say Space Marine, but you already had that there. I played the multiplayer with a pad due to FoV issues and didn't do that bad. The horde mode is of course well suited for that, but even in team deathmatch I wasn't at the bottom. It's likely that others used pads too I guess.
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Assassins Creed (brotherhood and later) multiplayer is awesome and best played with a 360 pad.

Smooth motions to glide among the AI, I can't imagine trying to hunt using WASD. It's only cosmetically like the single player game, but movement controls are the same, every attack is killed or be killed, with no hit points, deception, misdirection and cunning beat fast reflexes every time.

See also: Renegade Ops, Trine, Bionic Commando Rearmed and Battlefield/Arma as long as you stuck to vehicles.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Awesomenauts works perfectly with a pad.

Trine 2 works well.

Blur and Split/Second, though by all accounts the communities are dead.

Borderlands 1 and 2 co-op works fine with a pad, that game doesn't require precision shooting at all.

Saints Row the Third - limited to 2 player co-op but works fine with a pad.

GTA4 - lots of games modes and still a decent size community. Works great with a pad.

Magicka works ok to a degree, but you wont be able to cast spells nearly as fast as with KBM as every element requires two button presses to access.

Network Hub
    Starcraft 2.

No, really. Check out a player called "Cress". He plays SC2 with a XBOX360 controller.

Bionic Commando Rearmed
    I forgot that had multiplayer. Is it good? I haven't gone back to the game after finishing singleplayer.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I forgot that had multiplayer. Is it good? I haven't gone back to the game after finishing singleplayer.
    Its very much more bionic command: Rearmed. Not much changes, but I believe the enemy count is drummed up, oh, and you both share a health bar.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    TF2 was fun to muck around with using a gamepad. L4D worked ok--neither is especially "twitchy" in my book, and one of them is typically CO-OP. I don't play very many multiplayer games, so unfortunately I can't help you that much beyond this.

How did that turn out ?
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    How did that turn out ?
    For TF2, I died a hell of a lot more than usual, but less than when I tried using my crappy built-in touchpad. Pyro went better with the touchpad, I think, but that's more because the non-mouse controls were more familiar to me and I play Pyro a lot so muscle memory saved me more often.

Left 4 Dead went just fine. I liked it with a pad. I prefer Kb+M, but only because of muscle memory. I'm not that great an L4D player, so I noticed less of a difference between the control scheme I'm used to and the one I'm not.

I play a lot more TF2, so regardless of how functional the control scheme is, it feels way less responsive because I lose a robust library of techniques and finger positions. It also IS less responsive in certain ways. Mostly, TF2 can be tons of fun for me even when I'm on the back-foot so I didn't mind. Like I said, I don't feel like it's a very "twitchy" game--not the way I play it. So there was still stuff I could do relatively well even on a control system I'm less accustomed to.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 11-01-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Lots of good suggestions. I did try TF2 gwathdring, and found that my old demoman-builds works pretty well with pad. Swashbuckling and bomb-spamming does not require that much twitch. Also: Heavy.

You could try WarFare,its in closed beta right now,third person shooter/hack'n slash diablo like MMO,you go from planet to planet raiding ships and doing obhjectives with other people online,against AI. Look for thread,i put link for getting beta key.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    Starcraft 2.

No, really. Check out a player called "Cress". He plays SC2 with a XBOX360 controller.
    Either you're joking and I'm stupid or that person is insane.

Banned
    You could try WarFare,its in closed beta right now,third person shooter/hack'n slash diablo like MMO,you go from planet to planet raiding ships and doing obhjectives with other people online,against AI. Look for thread,i put link for getting beta key.
    You mean Warframe right?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    You mean Warframe right?

I even named installation folder of game "WarFace" haha,jesus.. Yeah i meant Warframe :x

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    A second vote for the Borderlandses

Activated Node
    Borderlands is great fun with the pad (I prefer it to mouse and keyboard so I can relax and auto aim through everything. Altitude is also a sick little game you can pick up for like $2.50 in a steam sale, works well with pad and has local multi if I remember rightly, it's like smash brothers but with planes instead, kind of.

Banned
    I even named installation folder of game "WarFace" haha,jesus.. Yeah i meant Warframe :x
    XD

But I do second your vote for WARFRAME