Can anyone recommend a decent mechanical keyboard?

I've been using the same Microsoft Basic keyboard for nearly ten years. TEN. YEARS. This thing has taken me from the modest, innocent age of 13 to the grumbly nine-to-five age of 23. Do not mock me - its a robust, durable keyboard that has survived a thousand drink-spills, numerous smashes of frustration and nearly half a lifetime of continuous gaming use. I'd still have no plans to replace it if the cable hadn't frayed to the point where it occasionally stops working.

But I need a new one, and rather than simply opt for the upgraded version of my old one I've decided to plump for a 'gaming' keyboard of some sort. Because why not. It has to be something with reasonably chunky mechanical keys, perhaps a few bindable ones and maybe even some lights on them for when I'm fumbling in the dark. It needn't be cheap as chips, but preferably not something over 100. I cant really justify spending that much on a keyboard that I've not even tried.

So, does anyone have some ideas?
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

This will help you:
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/gaming/...nical-edition/

My personal recommendation will be Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Edition because it has backlighting, but it is indeed a bit expensive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Not a recommendation in the slightest, but my own personal search has indicated that the Das and Filco Majestouch-2 Ninja are good. Also the latter has the most ridiculous name for a product ever. The 'Ninja' part alludes to the fact that the key legends are printed on the front of the key, rather than the top, which is apparently so that the legends, they will not wear off over time.

They are both pretty much 100.

All excellent suggestions, I'll have a hunt about tomorrow and see what the prices are like.

Thanks muchly.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Firstly, 'Razor' do not make a 'decent' mechanical keyboard - they make a nasty one which costs the same as a 'decent' one - avoid it like you'd avoid polonium sushi...

If you're serious about buying a mechanical keyboard, you need to do some research on which switches you want. This article covers most of the types and what the differences are

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide

Bottom line - Reds and Blacks are lighter in action and easier to hit (bad for touch typists, good for gamers) wheras Browns and Blues are quiet and noisy respectively and harder to hit generally (touch typists will get a higher accuracy score with them every time).

That Razor doorstop you're talking about uses Reds so it's ideal for a 'gamepad' but terrible for typing and the overall quality of the thing is laughable for the money too.

Coolermaster make a keyboard called the Quickfire/Quickfire Rapid/Pro which is the cheapest decent mechanical I'm aware of. Beware that different markets/types of that keyboard have different Cherry switches tho - check carefully before buying

Steelseries make a mechanical too - the 6Gv2 - it uses Cherry Blacks I think, which are a slightly firmer version of the Red - still not a real 'typists' choice but better than the Razor.

Das Keyboard is a bit of a gimmick and overpriced IMO

The best mechs come from Ducky and Filco. You can choose your colourscheme/key colours/logo locations etc. - you can choose type, layouts (including TENKEYLESS models without the numpad - great for desk space!!) and so on. Ducky's "Shine" range even include backlighting - and it's not just brightness controllable, you can set it to just light certain keys (WASD or Cursors for example) or just to light on strikes (a gimmick but a cool one) and so on.

Filcos here

http://www.keyboardco.com/index.asp

Duckys here

http://www.thecoolingshop.com

Me? I want a Filco TENKEYLESS Ninja (logos on the front of the keys instead of the top) or a Ducky Shine TENKEYLESS with Cherry Browns in my Xmas Stocking STAT!

p.s. I've not used that Ducky seller but their prices + their advertised 10% off would get you a Shine under 100 - and you have 7 days to see if you really like it under the DSR - it would be a MUCH MUCH better use of your money than Razor's shitware...
    Last edited by trjp; 25-11-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Resurrecting a pretty old thread here but...

Looking to get a mechanical keyboard. Using it for both gaming (FPS mainly), and general programming. I'm thinking about going for Cherry MX Brown switches.

Should I consider any other switch types?
    Any recommendations of keyboards these days?

Numpad is required.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Cherry MX Brown switches make sense for your usage case, it's a good hybrid between gaming-oriented and typing-oriented switches. But you could maybe try out various types in-shop to get a better feel for what works for you.

I asked a similar question here recently (see "keyboard advice" thread), with similar requirements to you (I wanted media buttons as well), and I ended up getting a Logitech G710+.

It uses the cherry brown switches, so its lovely to type on. It's a bit large, but so far space hasn't been an issue. It might be a bit pricey though, I ended up going for it because there was a surprisingly limited range down in these parts for this sort of keyboard.

Thanks! I've noticed a lot of mechanical keyboards have I smaller enter key, and the \| key above. Anyone find this annoying to switch to?

Ducky Zero. I have it in the Shine variant (backlighted with LEDs), and with Brown switches. But you can get basically any color switch with them.

It's quite expensive. But I think it's worth it.

Activated Node
    I got a Zowie Celeritas (brown switches) last year, replacing a crappy cheap keyboard that I had been using since about 2000! It's an absolute revelation and I regret not doing it a long time ago. Cost about 100 I think. It's got a full size enter key too, if that's what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritz View Post
    I got a Zowie Celeritas (brown switches) last year, replacing a crappy cheap keyboard that I had been using since about 2000! It's an absolute revelation and I regret not doing it a long time ago. Cost about 100 I think. It's got a full size enter key too, if that's what you're looking for.
    Ducky Zero has a half-size Enter key, which is specifically what I want. I want my backslash and pipe characters to not be between my right shift and questionmark keys. I want that above my enter.

If you have any layout preferences like Maritz or mine, frenz0rz, you should decide those and maybe let us know.

I should have said, my requirements are a UK keyboard layout.

Activated Node
    This is the layout of mine, if that helps. Looking at it again, it's not a full-size enter key is it? You can change the colour of the Zowie logo to blue or switch all the lights off altogether (which I usually do), but bear in mind that if you hit caps lock the lights all come back on again for some reason.

That's the size of enter key I expect. I didn't want a keyboard where the enter key is one key height instead of two.