Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

How To Locate Bad Sector of HDD, Isolate and Contain It?

I seem to identify the issue with my computer: my system C-drive finally has bad sector and some of my files happen to be in that sector, so whenever I try to open or move those files, the Explorer and then the whole system crashes. Is there any way to identify this sector, than contain it so that there will be no further read/write activities being performed on that sector?

And I just cannot do anything to those files, any operation gives me this error message:
    "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." Now I cannot remove those files for me not even know if those files are intact or not. Fortunate me for those class notes can be downloaded again so I have preserved them in discs through another computer.

But what worries me most is that bad sector may infect other sectors of the system drive. I want this computer to hang on at least until Windows 9 is out. Then I for sure will buy another one.
    Last edited by squirrel; 24-05-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Use scan disk, then windows will read around the bad bit.

All hard drives have bad bits,often the slow degradation if a hard drives performance is from avoiding all the corrupt bits.

But it's not contagious, we are talking about physically worn disk sections.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 24-05-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If a scandisk/reformat (after backing up!!! Make sure you can restore completely from your backups before formatting anything!) does not solve the dead sector, then it's possibly a dying drive, as it could indicate addtional damage after each "read/write" attempt.

I think anyhow, I'm no expert.

But it's not contagious, we are talking about physically worn disk sections.
    Is it not possible to spread dust/scratches around the platter? Assuming that was the cause?

Of cause a bad sector from manufacturing etc won't spread, but a physical head crash, would that?
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 24-05-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Is it not possible to spread dust/scratches around the platter? Assuming that was the cause?
    In a modern HDD, dust inside the chamber would probably cause catastrophic failure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Yeah, dust or a damaged head is essentially a bricked drive.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    In a modern HDD, dust inside the chamber would probably cause catastrophic failure.
    Ah thanks. Older machines probably had higher tolerances due to larger/more robust parts I guess. These days it's skin of the teeth stuff for 4GB drives. :P
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    If the hard drive is starting to have bad sectors, abandon all hope. Buy a new HDD, transfer the data and run
    Code:
    chkdsk /f
    Just don't kid yourself that the drive will last long. I made the same mistake.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I've run chkdsk (hella lot of hours, must be for sorting out the faulty parts of the HDD), and restored the corrupted files. I understand that this drive will not last long, but hope it will last long enough before I can upgrade.