Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Ideas

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Crazy Ideas

I was musing if there were some tactics we could use, that are a little unconventional and perhaps silly, but also have the chance of working (well, enough to be fun, if not entirely successful).

So, ideas so far:
    The endless Gal Drop
    3-4 Galaxies, all with 2 x Walker, 2 x Bulldog, defense upgrades at least. They drop troops on a target, then hold overhead to provide fire support from bulldogs / air cover from overlapping Walker fields of fire. Then put down, get repaired, pick up again. Needs to be done in some numbers, as you'll only be dropping 7 ground-pounders from each Gal.

Flash rush
    Yeah, we tried it on one PW and it didn't come off. We should still totally do it one day. Down a big hill if at all possible.

Anyone else got something they'd like to try?

Network Hub
    Oh anything with flashes is always fun.

My current fave trick is hunting magriders with them. My k/d ratio on such tactics is something like 1/30.

Now, I'm getting pretty l33t now and can hit a 1/30 k/d ratio in a huge number of ways: breaking out of spawn camps, running like a loon into biolabs, sprinting across deserts when enemy air blocks out the sun.

But to achieve an uber 1/30 k/d hunting magriders in a flash I have to:

• Speed over hills, fly right over the mag, double back flip, land on my head, explode.
    • Speed over hills, fly right over the mag, double back flip, land on my wheels, get run over by mag, explode.
    • Drive at breakneck speed toward the shooty end of a mag, explode.
    • Sneak up on a mag, empty a full fury clip into the back, forget to veer off, crash into the back of the mag, explode.
    • Reverse past a mag at full speed, empty a clip into his face, do a 180 spin on the spot and speed off cackling, get shot by mag, explode.
    • Fire Flash Of Fury grenades too short, run over own grenades, explode.
    • Gain altitudes normally requiring of air traffic control clearance, explode.
    • Drifting round a magrider like a pro while he spins on the spot trying to track, sideswipe a tree, explode.
    • And very very occasionally, out maneuvre, out think, out shoot and out giggle enemy magrider, watch him explode.

And without exception, it is the law, one must whilst doing all this be humming (ideally singing) the Flash Gordon song - ahh-ahhh, he'll save every one of us.

There are many ways to achieve a 1/30 k/d ratio. I ask you, which sounds most fun?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'd love to do something stupid with a full squad of flashes with guns on them, just for the sheer fun and mayhem of it all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    So, ideas so far:
    The endless Gal Drop
    3-4 Galaxies, all with 2 x Walker, 2 x Bulldog, defense upgrades at least. They drop troops on a target, then hold overhead to provide fire support from bulldogs / air cover from overlapping Walker fields of fire. Then put down, get repaired, pick up again. Needs to be done in some numbers, as you'll only be dropping 7 ground-pounders from each Gal.
    This is how Gal drops should be done. It's what I try to do.

Gal(s) head out. Drop payload. Keep gunners.

They then do a dual role: Cover from the air AND shuttling people about if beacons go down.

This relies upon decent AA support. A couple G-2-A heavies and a burster MAX is enough.

The main thing is: Keep gals useful after they have dropped people off. Land only to repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Infiltrator storm. Thirty or so players, all infiltrators, lurking at the edge of a friendly base as enemy infantry come in. Don't contest their approach, just hide. When they get inside and start standing around, thinking they're safe, everyone simultaneously uncloaks, takes a couple of shots, then cloaks again and moves. Repeat until one side is dead. Doesn't matter which.

Fill an unmanned enemy base with as many mines as possible, without killing anyone or taking any control points. Watch.

Completely encircle an enemy base with sunderers.

Jesus squad - all medics, no shooting. Just keep reviving each other and hope the enemy feel bad and give up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Only got two cheesy ones:

AV Gal Drops
    Simply fill a Gal with Engineers with Mines, LA with C4 and HAs (and AV Maxes if they wouldn't be so incredibly shitty) and drop mids in the vehicle zerg. Most of the time you are able to take out some tanks. Rinse, repeat, until no tanks are left. That's usally before you run out of Gals.

Ramming Gals
    Everybody spawns Gals, people that have AA guns on Gals get those manned. People with stock Gals ram enemy Liberators, usually one Gal can take out two Libs.

Airbus
    Position a Sunderer atop a Galaxy, hover over enemy territory and deploy. Takes Galaxies back to their AMS glory days!

I have actually seen this done, not sure how easy it is to assemble but I've always thought it would be fun to try out!

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    AV Gal Drops
    Simply fill a Gal with Engineers with Mines, LA with C4 and HAs (and AV Maxes if they wouldn't be so incredibly shitty) and drop mids in the vehicle zerg. Most of the time you are able to take out some tanks. Rinse, repeat, until no tanks are left. That's usally before you run out of Gals.
    I really like the LA idea. Maybe if they pull drifter jets they could exit en masse, hover in place and saturate the area with C4, then jump back into the gal for extra cool points.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Scythe kamikaze runs - Everyone loads up in scythes as LAs, aim for a suitable target, bail before it's too late and mop up (or get mopped up) afterwards.

Is it possible to strap explosives to own vehicles like in battlefield?

It certainly is. There's a bunch of very funny videos of flashes and lightnings being used in this way to great effect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchK View Post
    Airbus
    Position a Sunderer atop a Galaxy, hover over enemy territory and deploy. Takes Galaxies back to their AMS glory days!

I have actually seen this done, not sure how easy it is to assemble but I've always thought it would be fun to try out!
    That shit cray.

Network Hub
    Inverted Gal Drop
    Working out when to drop out of a Gal can be a bit inexact. The mini-map isn't quite good enough, the Gal itself gets in the way when looking down at the objective. So why not turn the Gal upside down during the drop?

Unfortunately the moment you do, the Gal will drop like a stone. In tests I have determined that close to 900m from the waypoint is about the best time to flip the Gal at around 850m up. Expect to be about 200m up when you straighten out afterwards.

Overall I have to wonder if it would be worth just nose diving the Gal over the waypoint and having the pilot call the drop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotekian View Post
    Overall I have to wonder if it would be worth just nose diving the Gal over the waypoint and having the pilot call the drop.
    If survival is not a priority or the air is clear, this is what I tend to do.

The Gal can go from 900m alt. to ground in about 5 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I usually drop and then just nose dive down to land, maybe I should start dropping while diving.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchK View Post
    Airbus

They should just make that a cert for the galaxy. Remove all weapons and passenger-slots and let a Sunderer dock with the galaxy. Must land to drop it off. Though i guess that opens up some issues with sunderers inside Biolabs and on roofs, guess that is kinda hard to prevent.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Watch this guy taking down aircraft in his Vanguard. That's what I call skill!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    The AP guns are pretty good against aircraft. I do not use the Skyguard but the AP gun on my Lightning to take out ESFs. Much more effective as you can kill most of them with one shot (if slightly damaged) or at least set them burning.

Activated Node
    You should put 2 C4 on those flashes with afterburners. One of those "guided missiles" kills a tank.

Oh and thanks, Esoteric. It's cool to see my video being a bit viral. I'm going to try to make another video with some cool tricks today that somehow a lot of people don't seem to know.
    Last edited by innociv; 22-01-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Oh, jesus, that is you, is it?! Good job, there! Got taken out in my Liberator by some guy in a Vanguard the other day. I hope that wasn't you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by innociv View Post
    I'm going to try to make another video with some cool tricks today that somehow a lot of people don't seem to know.
    yeah, please do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Watch this guy taking down aircraft in his Vanguard. That's what I call skill!
    Presumably on the one or two days a month when the NC actually cap a few things it's because this guy is online, laughing at the concept of air superiority.