Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Ideas

Activated Node
    Yeah. I only recently signed up for RPS forums. I was going to post that in a thread here myself, but there is the 10 post barrier before you can make a thread. It was a little annoying that my commenting account for RPS article that I've had for years didn't work here on the forums.

The above comment is almost true.
    Most on SolTech seems to not be very good. My main is Vanu Jaeger, and there are plenty of sizeable outfits there who have all pretty much paid2win. I can roll on there and take on entire air squads and battalions of tanks sometimes with just a bit of infantry support.
    Like just this morning I roll up on an entire squad, 4 prowlers, and they're just oblivious. None of the Prowlers had deploy/vulcan either. http://www.twitch.tv/uguuwizard/b/359467410?t=25m40s

There's a lot of hovering close range ESF kills that happen that aren't really worth putting in a video.
    Last edited by innociv; 22-01-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Man, and I thought I was useless in a tank.

Obscure Node

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deralex View Post
    Still kind of seems staged.
    He never checked its HP with a spot to know that 2 C4 would kill it, he just knew.

And all libs fly in 3rd person, and the pilot didn't seem afk since he was moving a second ago, so he'd have seen the LA on top of his lib and would have moved.

You need 2 C4 + 1 grenade launcher grenade to kill a Liberator.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Also, the two people in the lib were "purplejay" and "PurpleDerp". Fishy.

Activated Node
    Another fun thing to do is to put 1 c4 on two separate enemy tanks, then grenade launch the rear of each.
    1 c4 does about 80% damage to a tank, and a smoke grenade to the rear does about 20%.

I haven't gotten my grenade launcher yet(230certs away), but I do have 2 c4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by innociv View Post
    Still kind of seems staged.
    He never checked its HP with a spot to know that 2 C4 would kill it, he just knew.

And all libs fly in 3rd person, and the pilot didn't seem afk since he was moving a second ago, so he'd have seen the LA on top of his lib and would have moved.

You need 2 C4 + 1 grenade launcher grenade to kill a Liberator.
    He C4-ed several others in the video, non-fatally. Seems like he just hit them regardless of whether it'd kill them or not, and to be fair that's what I'd do as well, I mean, once you're on there, what else is there to do?

I doubt the "all libs fly in 3rd person" too, simply because I doubt that all anything do anything. I only ever spawn aircraft for use as one-way taxis, so have no need for third person, and I've yet to spawn a galaxy at all (I didn't even know there was a difference between them and liberators until last week, and I've been playing since launch).

The name thing, however, is moderately suspicious.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Well when you open your video with "hey sorry I totally faked it last time but this time it's legit promise" you shouldn't be surprised if people get suspicious. Personally I'm not suspicious, it seems plausible but its just not as impressive to me as the tank to air kills. Once you develop the skill for the latter you can do it consistently enough for it to count as a skill and not some fluke.

Variables for tank to air kill - calculate speed, distance and estimated trajectory to get kill.

Variables for liberator c4 kill - fly in your own aircraft above a lib without raising suspicion in the pilot or either gunner. So now you're above the liberator, who presumably if they're stationary enough to land on are quite close to the altitude limit. Now jump out when directly above it and hope that the gods of inertia are smiling on you today. Land on the lib, and hope that nobody is using third person or woken up from that coma they must be in to have not noticed you yet. Also hope nobody decides to move the lib at at all as you will immediately fall off. Place your C4 and jump off.

That sequence of events has so much going on that is out of your control that pulling it off requires a huge lack of skill on the part of your enemy rather than a surplus of it on yours.

If anyone needs me I'll be practicing hitting a 60mph mosquito from 800m away, because that shits ballin'.

Activated Node
    You can just put the c4 on the front of your mosquito, and blow it as it rams into them, too.

The ram damage+2 c4 kills it.

I had a recording of me doing that, but just 2 hits of flak triggered the c4 and blew me up, but I lost it.

Network Hub
    Blitzkrieg (also known as The Hydra) (Yes, I just made the name up.)
    1. Go to an underpopulated continent (probably Amerish).
    2. Split up into 'half-squads' (6 people).
    3. Start capping EVERY adjacent base. (as many as numbers allow)
    4. At first sight of a sizable force, move elsewhere.
    Of course you avoid bases that already have large fights going on. Not much to be done there for such small groups. If there's not enough bases adjacent, overflow people go to next base, hack, overload and start the cap immediately.
    My reasoning behind this is that most outfits go together everywhere or dispatch a squad of 12 people. By splitting into smaller groups you can hit twice as many bases as they can defend. The goal is to cut deep into enemy territory and make them chase you around while 3-4 other bases are being capped simultaneously. 6 people is enough to make a full speed cap and to hold off anything less than a squad of, I'd say, 10 people.
    I know this probably doesn't lead to epic fights or moments but I was wondering if you guys are willing to try this out. It might lead to an epic fail :P We could try to break a record in number of bases capped in 1h. More than that might simply get too boring to continue.

EDIT: Hmm I realized I wrote this in the wrong thread. Should I repost it in Silly Monday ?
    Last edited by Pirate; 05-02-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Blitzkrieg (also known as The Hydra) (Yes, I just made the name up.)
    1. Go to an underpopulated continent (probably Amerish).
    2. Split up into 'half-squads' (6 people).
    3. Start capping EVERY adjacent base. (as many as numbers allow)
    4. At first sight of a sizable force, move elsewhere.
    Of course you avoid bases that already have large fights going on. Not much to be done there for such small groups. If there's not enough bases adjacent, overflow people go to next base, hack, overload and start the cap immediately.
    My reasoning behind this is that most outfits go together everywhere or dispatch a squad of 12 people. By splitting into smaller groups you can hit twice as many bases as they can defend. The goal is to cut deep into enemy territory and make them chase you around while 3-4 other bases are being capped simultaneously. 6 people is enough to make a full speed cap and to hold off anything less than a squad of, I'd say, 10 people.
    I know this probably doesn't lead to epic fights or moments but I was wondering if you guys are willing to try this out. It might lead to an epic fail :P We could try to break a record in number of bases capped in 1h. More than that might simply get too boring to continue.

EDIT: Hmm I realized I wrote this in the wrong thread. Should I repost it in Silly Monday ?
    This is not that much of a crazy idea.

6 to 8 Gals. Half ish full. Drop, cap. Bug out the moment resistance gets difficult (even if it means abandoning the cap) and move out.

It requirea a HUGE amount of attention and direction. Each gal pilot will need to be dropping, landing, shouting orders to move out, picking respawners up etc. I can see this being very effective, but it'd need some planning...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Blitzkrieg (also known as The Hydra)
    Definitely felt like this was needed early yesterday evening, when we were trying to break out of the warp gates. We didn't have enough people to do it properly at first, only being able to cap one base at a time, which was pretty ineffectual against the numbers of TR. With another squad of five or six people and The Hydra we might have been able to make a real push.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    This is not that much of a crazy idea.

6 to 8 Gals. Half ish full. Drop, cap. Bug out the moment resistance gets difficult (even if it means abandoning the cap) and move out.

It requirea a HUGE amount of attention and direction. Each gal pilot will need to be dropping, landing, shouting orders to move out, picking respawners up etc. I can see this being very effective, but it'd need some planning...

Even better, place most squads into areas adjacent to soon-to-be capped bases. Since we are already talking about coordinating that well it is a logical extension, and might easily lead to substantial parts of a continent being capped within minutes.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I can see this being very effective, but it'd need some planning...
    Since we already talk about a lot of coordination, add a bit more. Have most gals fly to non-adjacent areas that will become available for capping once the first wave hits. Rinse, repeat. With a bit of luck and a lot of coordination huge areas could fall within minutes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    The Hydra
    Can we rename it "The Hydraffe" :3

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Can we rename it "The Hydraffe" :3
    YES !!! Brilliant idea

And the gals are a great idea. Especially on Amerish, with all it's mountains and weird roads.
    As for amount of coordination I'm thinking something like this:
    We still use 12 people squads with one squad leader who reports to a PL. All the PL has to know is which two bases that squad is going to cap and if any larger enemy forces were spotted. This way the PL will not be overwhelmed with reports. There is a problem with a lack of waypoints but I think you can explain to people where they need to go. A recon scythe or two might also help track down large enemy foces and simply avoid them.

EDIT: How do you make a 'strikethrough' text here ?
    EDIT2: Also as an explanation: I posted this here as I recently came up with it and had no way of testing it. I don't consider this a valid strategy yet, but looks like this is getting more 'serious'. Maybe we should move it elsewhere ?
    Last edited by Pirate; 05-02-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Network Hub
    One thing to note: due to adjacency issues The Hydraffe is not a valid tactic for breaking out of a warpgate lock. It will only be effective if there are a good number of potential targets to pick from.

Network Hub
    That's true, but I noticed that breaking out of a warpgate lock requires similar tactics of hitting all adjacent territories at once. Only in forces suiting the situation. Just today we've been bashing our head against a whole platoon at one base, when we could have easily send out one or two squads to the remaining two and force them to either lose that territories or dispatch some forces currently defending the first base weakening them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I think the Hydraffe coupled with some guerrila tactics might work well. Say we're locked in at the warpgate. WE split up to attack all the adjacent territories at once, one squad at each. That's usually three, IIRC. The surplus squad could run around in the enemy territories one removed from the WG to disrupt supply lines and wreak havoc;
    - mining roads/terminals/airpads (does that work, btw?)
    - hacking or destroying vehicle terminals
    - harrassing incoming troops
    - ambushing Sunderers and tanks and aircraft moving to reinforce the frontlines
    - generally distracting the enemy forcing them to fight somewhere else

This would probably require some smart and fairly disciplined use of medics, infiltrators, spawn beacons, multiple sundies hidden at various locations in the bush between bases etc. I do think that we're ready for that kind of action, however, at least those of us who like this kind of thing. Those who don't want to bother with that kind of discipline won't have to of course, but it seems to me like we could find a dozen players who do on any of the busier nights.

I'll cross-post this into the strat thread to avoid derailing this thread entirely.

Mining airpads...why haven't I thought of that before? That sounds like good fun. As does guerilla ops. We'd have to be really really sneaky, though. Not sure just how effective it would be, but I'm sure it would be a lot of fun either way.