Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    If you can handle that type of pinpoint commands, that's great. I don't think I can. I also have a hard time seeing the real use for it. Things like that usually just work out.

ok so to be clear: thursdays' bout will be:

- SLs acting as squad leads, doing their objectives the way they want, but no spreading out the entire squad. Ill tell the squads which objective they should do, if there are multiples (or satellites)

- All SLs in contact with each other, to warn of any important piece of intel regarding the battlefield. Ill take care of the larger scope, thats why I have the (sadly only one) platoon wp.

- If you think Ive overseen something, tell your SL. If you cant tell him because shit is going down, put it in outfit chat. (I never read platoon chat, and general is always filled with useless crap)

- Also, things I want to try out this thursday: moving as one; ie. timed/synchronised attacks. This has more to do with "holding back and hiding" than it has to do with shooting properly.

Let me explain: I want to try getting squads in place before they pounce. like taking objectives at the same time, or satellites, etc. ideally, this is without a zerg getting in the way, obviously.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Just as a note, I've been toying with MAX team compositions in my head, going by biolab MAX crash results over the last few weeks and I think I would prefer more engies than proposed above. I find the most efficient way to break the defence is if two MAXes can maintain constant pressure and take out the support, which I found is almost shockingly easy if you have two engies on you working in shifts. The sheer resilience it provides lessens the need for as many medics as well, provided you position the MAX to cover your own support. Something few people defending seem to do properly.

Either way, two MAXes with as little downtime as possible seems to be the key as far as I've seen and I'm going to test this theory further in the future.

Also, completely agree with the push the collective effort attack angle QuantaCat. The times I've been part of one/set one up, it worked amazingly. It also works as defence, as the one late-night half-sized Bravo hold at Feldspar Canyon experience where we practised covering each other's butts when flushing buildings and sundies out from attackers and spreading out to hunt and destroy as needed but staying within range to respond to attacks on any one member proved.
    Last edited by Orius; 16-01-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Just as a note, I've been toying with MAX team compositions in my head, going by biolab MAX crash results over the last few weeks and I think I would prefer more engies than proposed above. I find the most efficient way to break the defence is if two MAXes can maintain constant pressure and take out the support, which I found is almost shockingly easy if you have two engies on you working in shifts. The sheer resilience it provides lessens the need for as many medics as well, provided you position the MAX to cover your own support. Something few people defending seem to do properly.

Either way, two MAXes with as little downtime as possible seems to be the key as far as I've seen and I'm going to test this theory further in the future.
    Agreed. I must have gotten about 50+ kills with mine over the course of tonight with close support from engies. Definitely a good idea to form a MAX focussed squad whenever the situation arises. They are such an effective tool.

Indeed. I'd like to point out though that the kills aren't really the important thing, not when rezzes are a thing. The main thing is that it allows the fight to build momentum and forces the defenders to fall back, tripping over each others' positions because of the constant onslaught, instead of crashing as one or two single MAXes and picking a few guys off, then running back behind the shields to get repaired, which is woefully inefficient and basically relies on either a stupid high numerical advantage or the defenders getting sick of standing their ground.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I must agree that we have some work still to do on synchronizing our MAX crashes. Hope to see this improved upon in the future.

so 1 max - 2 engies? does this also take in account the upgraded repair tool, because mine is at level 4 or somesuch and can rep a scythe to 60% in one charge as opposed to 50% on level 3; I think.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I think the most important thing is the cooldown, actually. The speed and amount of repairs matters, sure, but eliminating the cooldown period is important, I'd say. but maybe 3 engies for 2 maxes would do the trick. If they can manage to stay together.

Also, one engie might get killed.

Activated Node
    Here's a question, I really like being a medic, its the only class I've really spent any certs on so far, I pretty much stick to this class only occasionally switching to engi or HA if the situation really calls for it or if the PL is like 'everyone should be a (insert class name here) right now if you're not why not?!?'. I've noticed I'm often the only medic (or maybe one of two) in my squad quite a lot of the time, so my question is: am I playing it wrong?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jclooth View Post
    Here's a question, I really like being a medic, its the only class I've really spent any certs on so far, I pretty much stick to this class only occasionally switching to engi or HA if the situation really calls for it or if the PL is like 'everyone should be a (insert class name here) right now if you're not why not?!?'. I've noticed I'm often the only medic (or maybe one of two) in my squad quite a lot of the time, so my question is: am I playing it wrong?!
    we NEVER have enough medics, specially certified ones. also, PL will never tell you what you should do, as a single soldier. PL will tell SLs, and he will decide depending on what hes got available. Maybe Ill suggest some stuff like bursters, but whatever works and doesnt break any of the aforementioned "rules".

Who knows, maybe it would pay off to have multiple skyguard lightnings instead.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Yeah, a minimum of 2 medics should be in a squad at all times, often more than that. The minimum of two should really only occur during the MAX crashes.

As to the composition, I'd say 2 engies per MAX if they've got reasonably certed tools, otherwise three, or 2.5 (having one engine run between two MAX teams as necessary) might be good. And yes, as Esoteric said, the cooldown is the most important aspect. You can always go for cover when reloading and that should be enough to fix you up to full if you've taken more damage than you were able to soak up for a few seconds, but overall continuous pressure must be kept up.

As a sidenote, when the medics in a crash aren't rezzing, they should try to cover the MAX team's backs, especially from C4 to the back, so they'll have a very important role even here, as everyone else will be busy pushing the line or repairing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Medics are always useful! And yeah, we usually lack them.

Or even just 2 engies to 2 MAX's?

If, hypothetically, there are multiple squads rolling with this MAX tactic at the same BioLab, then it may be more efficient to go with one less? Seeing as there will be other dedicated engies in proximity.

Also, to tie in what you raised Jclooth, someone like you who prefers to roll as a medic would come in handy in that sort of situation, as your higher medic certs could be key to keeping those engies alive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jclooth View Post
    This is basically how I play:

Medic is my default class. HA if some extra firepower is needed. Always engie if I'm in a vehicle though.

Just filled out the cert tree for the medic tool last night. Looking forward to trying it out tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Network Hub
    Not to mention resurrecting the MAXs. The reason not to switch away from medic is that medics are always useful.

As far as MAX repair goes, it depends. If your trying to repair in battle then you need a lot. If the MAXs are prepared to retreat and be cautious, then 1 engineer can handle 2 MAXs. Anti-Air MAXs for example only need 1 engineer per 2. Anti-Infantry MAXs might well need more to allow them to push into a position or to hold a line against a push.

I just reached 500 certs tonight, and am trying to decide whether to get the second blob of C4 for the LA or to max out the meditool. Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotekian View Post
    Not to mention resurrecting the MAXs. The reason not to switch away from medic is that medics are always useful.

As far as MAX repair goes, it depends. If your trying to repair in battle then you need a lot. If the MAXs are prepared to retreat and be cautious, then 1 engineer can handle 2 MAXs. Anti-Air MAXs for example only need 1 engineer per 2. Anti-Infantry MAXs might well need more to allow them to push into a position or to hold a line against a push.
    Yes absolutely, I was talking purely about MAX crashing biolabs and breaking heavy defensive positions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I just reached 500 certs tonight, and am trying to decide whether to get the second blob of C4 for the LA or to max out the meditool. Decisions, decisions...
    Max out the medi tool. It's amazing how fast you can revive people, and you don't need to run after them afterwards to fully heal them. Plus it goes from +2 to +4m range compared to the previous rank, so you don't get exposed as much.

Well if you're thinking of running C4 on your medic as well, remember that you don't have to cert both to max (at least I don't, I have two C4 on my medic and only had to unlock one to be able to use two for my LA)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    I have to say, I play pretty similarly to cooper. Light or heavy assault, or engineer if im in a vehicle.

I cant say im a particular fan of the max, because it relies to heavily on having a good engineer nearby. Though having said that, if we were to stick with particular roles sometimes, it could be easy to set up decent 3 man teams.

This would definitely be a spur of the moment thing though I think, as the situation doesnt always call for that kind of play. Again, with max, there is a cooldown issue, which wouldnt work very well if people were being killed quickly and pinned down.

I like the idea of dedicated air, but only when its necessary, as there have been many times when ive barely seen any air on a server. That said, libs are very effective so long as they have a bit of support to make sure they dont take too much heat.

Personally, im happy to fill any role as I dont like to focus too much on one thing for too long. Ill happily gun in peoples tanks or libs, or provide transport roles at any point im needed too.