Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Well Ill definitely try and get more information out to the SLs, but I have to add: it can only be info that I tell ALL SLs, not specific ones. I dont know if I will set up certain SL only channels, I dont know if that is actually productive.

I got the feeling I was talking all the time, and when I talk, they cant hear you guys, so I tried to make it as short as possible. That and I had my own squad to lead.

Anyhow, Im assuming Ridebird will be doing the next one, but maybe I can do the one after that, and we can improve on all of that, yes?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Very well put, Jesus Phish! Thumbs up.

Also, the foot-folk need to respect the squad leader, try not to speak over him/her, take directions and obey orders, when given. Not dawdle when asked to redeploy, not run away when asked to stay put, respond to requests to fill specific roles etc. SL needs to be clear and decisive, informing the squad about what's going on, squad members need to be disciplined and responsive, . Mutual respect is the way forward.

Not easy, sure, but we can do this, I'm certain.

One thing we as members of a squad can do if there's something about a given situation that we don't like, is send a friendly /t to the SL, asking for whatever to be rectified. That way, our experience is improved, our leaders will learn how we prefer to be lead, and will do a better job in the future, all without undermining their authority in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Very well put, Jesus Phish! Thumbs up.

Also, the foot-folk need to respect the squad leader, try not to speak over him/her, take directions and obey orders, when given. Not dawdle when asked to redeploy, not run away when asked to stay put, respond to requests to fill specific roles etc. SL needs to be clear and decisive, informing the squad about what's going on, squad members need to be disciplined and responsive, . Mutual respect is the way forward.

Not easy, sure, but we can do this, I'm certain.

One thing we as members of a squad can do if there's something about a given situation that we don't like, is send a friendly /t to the SL, asking for whatever to be rectified. That way, our experience is improved, our leaders will learn how we prefer to be lead, and will do a better job in the future, all without undermining their authority in the present.
    Oh I think the problem with the night was that they couldnt undermine MY authority, only the ones of the SLs, and they didnt have the entire picture either. But I ride like this, Ridebird does it differently; I generally dont feel the need to give everyone all information all the time. Overarching goals, sure, but sometimes speed is of the essence, and shit needs to be done in order to *win*. Winning in this game, however, is so fucking vague, its sometimes really hard to decide which goals to pursue.
    Atleast Esamir is easy in that aspect: get the fucking tech plant, every day all day.

Either way, growing as a team is my goal here, and as long as you werent entirely dissatisfied with the night, all is well, and we'll continue on another day.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Thanks for that, jesus_phish! I actually tried to avoid having the squad waypoint move as much as it could have done, but some times it was unavoidable, unfortunately. Also, as I mentioned, I probably should have given more effort to get people to shape up, I suppose I simply gave up a little myself after repeatedly trying to get the squad to form up on a point or regroup with just a few people actually being responsive. In a way, I didn't want to appear as having a hissy fit, but I'll to bark harder (and communicate better) next time It had just been so smooth to lead squads in various other outings before that I didn't really think I should have to.

I like your regrouping idea, I'll keep that in mind in case things go the wrong way again at some point and there is time to do so.

And I'd just like to add that I'd love to do it again, QuantaCat. Your efforts are appreciated even if the tone has gotten a little bit overcritical just now. Hopefully what you're left with is some ideas on how to win more efficiently, at least that's been the intention.
    Last edited by Orius; 22-01-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Hindsight:
    - 1st night was a bit pants, as too much administration and not playing in a squad myself kept me too detached from the rest of the platoon. (we did cap some awesome territory, mind)

- 2nd night was almost no administration, maybe the first half hour due to me starting too soon, and the communication between me and my SLs wasnt good enough yet.

Plans:
    - 3rd night, discuss a plan of action with all 4 other SLs, divide the squads (I still think an airsquad is vital, but we need to focus on taking down AA if we have an airsquad) and then spring to action, with me shouting to the entire platoon every so often. Maybe telling everyone what their general role is gonna be, so they know theyre not alone, even if it feels like it.

If anyone has any suggestions about all of this, please let me know. Even if voiced already, it would be nice to have a synthesis of it all below this post.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    My post has only just been approved, its back a bit in the thread, any thoughts?

EDIT: I champion the idea of having a briefing with Platoon command in advance of the official start time. Bring in that whole 'Metagame' video aspect in. Nice find btw whoever posted that on here.
    Last edited by NickWhite; 22-01-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    <SNIP> (Click the blue arrow to go to the post.)
    Here it is.

EDIT: If you write something very long, it might get stuck in the approval required state. I've circumvented this a few times by cutting it up into pieces. Haven't had to the last few times though. Not sure if it's a limit based on how many posts you've made?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    So you're saying it hasnt posted it?

EDIT: Nevermind... Of course it would have been snipped as a quote.

Imbecile Mode: On
    Last edited by NickWhite; 22-01-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Oh it has, I just read it, thanks for the feedback. I have enough time to prepare, and I can try being SL first this thursday ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

Nah, I just cut the text out of the quote, since it was pretty long.