Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

TOR's Gay Planet

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/42...gay-planet.htm

http://www.pcgamesn.com/swtor/star-w...ics-gay-planet

I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up just yet. Apparently BioWare has decided that all gay characters will have to go to Makeb in order to have same-sex romance. NPCs on other planets will not have the option available.

My only reaction is: way to go BioWare.
    Last edited by FriendlyFire; 14-01-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar

What the crap?

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who were screaming "We need homogays in the star wars TOR!!!" Considering that the movies never had any (openly) gay characters and that most of the well-known (to gamers) EU didn't have any openly gay characters, I didn't really see a point in adding them just because Bioware have, in the past, supported sword fighting. Especially because "romances" seem less emphasized (and a lot more questionable*) to begin with. But to actually segregate the players and charge money for the option? Holy crap. I mean, holy crap.

*: Jedi Knight starts boinking his padawan. With the romance arc starting while she is still his padawan (not even waiting until after she graduates to Consular). Bounty Hunter and Mako are kind of iffy as well.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They promised it, so want to delivered it. Seems making the voices in a single planet is easier, so is a cheap (the only way) for then to deliverer on the promise.

If people like it, perhaps will expand it? I don't see it as a bad thing.

Makeb? Not Uranus?
    hehe.

Anyway, it's a shame they had to do it like this, obviously because they wanted the feature in but it was too late to add it to the existing content. And they promised it far back if I recall, people kept calling them out on it, the forum thread was the biggest one in all SWtOR. It's a shame they had to do it like this but I guess it's better than not giving people the option at all.

Then again I have a suspicion that most of those very vocal people were straight men wanting to see some hot girl on girl action with their companions so this probably won't float their boat one bit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    But to actually segregate the players and charge money for the option? Holy crap. I mean, holy crap.
    This. Jesus christ, this.

You don't add same-sex relations? If there is a proper reason for it, then fine.

You do add same-sex relations? Good.

But this... this is apartheid. And an apartheid that requires payment, to top it off. This is insulting, even to me even though I'm straight. I hope that either they fix this insanity, or they all crash and burn.

It's supposed to be an expansion. You're not paying for the same sex romance only, it's an option on the planet with the actual quests and new content.

Just clearing that up for the folks who only read the links above and mistakenly concluded that it's a "if you want to be gay in game, you have to pay" scheme.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Meanwhile David Gaider bitches about romances and The Witcher (which he obviously never played).
    It's a bad day for sex at BioWare!

Wow. So instead of placating the anti-gays and irking the pro-gays by omitting homosexuals, they chose implement this half-assed, apologist solution of a planet exclusively for gay NPCs, enraging both the anti-gays and the pro-gays? That's some shockingly poor judgement.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I don't think the NPCs are exclusive homosexual, it's just the first step in making all NPCs available to both sexes. So I think you can still romance them if your the opposite sex. Not sure though.
    steam: sketch

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    That's some shockingly poor judgement.
    Wasn't this one of the features from the get-go?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @CaddyBear: You know, I'm not actually sure. I'm pretty sure a lot of people had either forgotten or given up about same-sex romance in TOR, and now this comes up and fuels the debate all over again. It's a ham-fisted way of dealing with it, if nothing else, especially considering it's part of a paid-for expansion. Considering just how much hardship TOR went through, they didn't need this.

What I don't understand is why they've not included the option from the get-go. Just about every BioWare game thus far has had the option, and it would've solved a lot more issues than doing... this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    It's supposed to be an expansion. You're not paying for the same sex romance only, it's an option on the planet with the actual quests and new content.

Just clearing that up for the folks who only read the links above and mistakenly concluded that it's a "if you want to be gay in game, you have to pay" scheme.
    But that's exactly the end result. You want to be straight? You can stick to the free areas of the game. You want to be gay? Oh, no, sorry, lookee here, we released that as part of an expansion, so if you want to join galaxy high club gay version, you're gonna have to pay to us.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Meanwhile David Gaider bitches about romances and The Witcher (which he obviously never played).
    It's a bad day for sex at BioWare!
    The Pokemon-esque sex cards? I don't see anything hypocritical about objecting to those, they were pretty crass.

I'm not defending them, it should have been in from the start. But making it sound like they are only charging for "being gay" is not true at all.

They could have added questlines to the free areas or something, but I don't expect Bioware to do anything in a not ham-fisted fashion anymore regarding SWToR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    The Pokemon-esque sex cards? I don't see anything hypocritical about objecting to those, they were pretty crass.
    My jimmies are rustled by his belief that the sex cards "rendered every female character in the game into a puzzle to be solved". The relationships with Triss (across both games) and Shani are better than every romance BioWare and Gaider ever shat out. They're actually believable and complex romances.
    I understand why people dislike the sex cards but the actual affairs Geralt can have are well supported by the context and fiction. I don't see anything wrong with these affairs, which are not romances.
    The sex cards are sort of like pictures you take during a one-night stand.

I know Gaider wasn't on the ME team, but I just have to point out that you can romance Jessica Chobot in ME3. She actively flirts with you. What the fuck?
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 14-01-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    The Witcher sex cards were a horribly stupid move. I still firmly believe the problem was that someone said "People like sex and it makes for a mature game" and someone said "People like collectibles". And those two morons weren't smacked when they thought they had a "You got chocolate in my peanut butter" moment.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    My jimmies are rustled by his belief that the sex cards "rendered every female character in the game into a puzzle to be solved". The relationships with Triss (across both games) and Shani are better than every romance BioWare and Gaider ever shat out. They're actually believable and complex romances.
    I understand why people dislike the sex cards but the actual affairs Geralt can have are well supported by the context and fiction. I don't see anything wrong with these affairs, which are not romances.
    The sex cards are sort of like pictures you take during a one-night stand.
    Fair enough. I didn't actually get far enough in TW1 (going to rectify that one real soon) to get involved with the major characters, just a couple of the lesser characters (I think a witch and a farm hand, or something) and I wasn't particularly impressed. I'll take your word for it that it becomes more meaningful later on.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    "People like sex" ... "People like collectibles"... "You got chocolate in my peanut butter" .
    I'm sorry, but this was too good to not quote out of context.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    The romances in TW1 are hardly meaningful. Bit better in TW2, but not a whole lot.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    The romances in TW1 are hardly meaningful. Bit better in TW2, but not a whole lot.
    Still better than Mass Effect.
    I wonder if there's a way of making videogame romance that's not essentially a hentai date-sim, because that's what that generally comes down to. Well, I guess that's somewhat realistic since that's attraction in at a base level.. shit. Now I'm confused. Someone smarter than me, please solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    They key point is that you have to be actively involved and deal with actual problems in the Witcher relationships. BioWare treats them like a shitty minigame where you manipulate the characters, you're rewarded with a bad sex scene and then the game barely mentions them. Dragon Age was a bit more interesting by having... the old lady, whatever her name is, act as a confidant and notice if you go after both Morrigan and Leliana at the same time. ME3 handled Liara somewhat better than usual if you choose to let go of the past. It was sort of bittersweet.

And then there's Dragon Age 2.
    I guess a promiscuous medieval society where everyone is a horny bisexual is an interesting concept but damn, it felt really bad in DA2.