Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Well, how would you know which people are men and which ones are women? There might be more women on this forum then you assume.
    You don't post seven thousand times without getting a general idea of the demographics of the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Hell I've been lampooned. Consider all objections dropped at such a well thought argument about things I never said.

Though what the hell is SWPL? Sounds like a Windows programming interface to me.
    Urban Dictionary to the rescue!

Hint: He's calling us hipsters
    Last edited by Nalano; 18-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I had to look up SWPL and neckbeard too.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Well I think that's incorrect use of neckbeard! It used to mean anal nerds who were obsessed with the rules of board/role play games without taking account of fun or the spirit of the game.

That definition of Urban Dictionary seems suspiciously geared for Americans, we have a different class system over here.

Well I think that's incorrect use of neckbeard! It used to mean anal nerds who were obsessed with the rules of board/role play games without taking account of fun or the spirit of the game.

That definition of Urban Dictionary seems suspiciously geared for Americans, we have a different class system over here.
    I generally accepted neckbeard to mean anybody whose flagrant lack of social grace extended to their personal grooming.

Well, Stuff White People Like is an American book, satirizing a cultural phenomenon in American cities. I don't know if London has hipsters, but I'm pretty sure you may have similar.
    Last edited by Nalano; 18-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Yeah, though I think our hipsters are somewhat different. I've only got San Francisco to compare against really.

But modern bohemians aren’t necessarily impoverished. In fact, being college educated, they are usually wealthier than regular middle class white people, and many SWPLs are downright rich. BIGLAW is full of SWPLs such as Heather Eisenlord. Consequently, there is a great deal of overlap between SWPL values and upper middle class values.
    I don't think this copies over across properly. Our hipsters tend to actually be vaguely poor but middle class (with notable exceptions) partly due to the way University works (ie it's mostly paid for by the state so people from poorer backgrounds are perfectly able to take on art degrees.) Also it is more like the old fashioned bohemians but all working in "new media".

Oh also they're not all white by a long shot.

They are still dicks though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Which they are. Which is the point.
    I hear they have a tendency of shooting up schools too. Hell i'm reaching down to my holster as i speak...

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    I'm okay with them not liking it. Nobody is forcing them to have homosexual relationships, so why are they trying to force everyone else to not have them?
    Mmm can't see how TOR's planet does that.

I don't think this copies over across properly. Our hipsters tend to actually be vaguely poor but middle class (with notable exceptions) partly due to the way University works (ie it's mostly paid for by the state so people from poorer backgrounds are perfectly able to take on art degrees.) Also it is more like the old fashioned bohemians but all working in "new media".

Oh also they're not all white by a long shot.

They are still dicks though.
    Yeah, here, liberal arts colleges and arts schools tend to be the most expensive schools in the world yet also have the smallest endowments, so if the kid's going to NYU or Vassar or Pratt, they're gonna pay through the nose. As such, trust-funders abound, which skews demographics upwards and whiter. Thus there is a juxtaposition of privileged socioeconomic status and (a patina of) leftist politics, which explains why movements like #Occupy looks overwhelmingly 20-something and white and why such people claiming poverty lug around a bevy of iProducts.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    I hear they have a tendency of shooting up schools too. Hell i'm reaching down to my holster as i speak...
    Read the links I linked earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Mmm can't see how TOR's planet does that.
    Bioware's TOR DLC doesn't do that. Idiots who complain on Bioware's forums argue that.
    Last edited by Nalano; 18-01-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I remember having a long tedious conversation with someone in Shoreditch, who was living in a squat, about his new art movement. It primarily involved drawing eagles with giant human cocks. That's a british hipster _

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Up North we would call that person something more colourful than "hipster" :-P

In Durham we don't get many hipsters, being instead overrun by that delightful British disease, the Rah.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I remember having a long tedious conversation with someone in Shoreditch, who was living in a squat, about his new art movement. It primarily involved drawing eagles with giant human cocks. That's a british hipster _
    Sounds about right. I got cornered by two separate people on two separate occasions who wanted to talk about their vague plans to start up a coffee shop/performance space where everybody lounges on cushions on the floor as silent indie films are projected on all the walls, but whose entire business experience up until that point was "design/promotions." (ie: intern, printing fliers)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am sorry for helping derailing the thread.

To be honest, we don't have talked much about anything gay. Honestly, that was not intended. I hope nobody gay reading this thread get offended by that.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    To be honest, we don't have talked much about anything gay. Honestly, that was not intended. I hope nobody gay reading this thread get offended by that.
    If you're not being sarcastic; this is what's wrong with the world. I take offense at people being offended, and I demand retribution! (sorry for derailing the thread further)

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    where everybody lounges on cushions on the floor as silent indie films are projected on all the walls)
    That sounds like a few parties I have gone to...

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    That sounds like a few parties I have gone to...
    I've been to venues like that, prompting two questions I never got satisfying answers for:

"How are you making money with this?"

"We're not."

"So why are you charging me $11 for a glass of crappy Shiraz?"

"..."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl