Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I think the romances in The Witcher are probably more "mature" than basically any other game.

Hear me out.

You have two major types: The quick fling and the commited relationship. The former is Geralt banging anyone with two legs and a vagina. The latter though is what is particularly "mature"

Geralt can enter a relationship with either Triss or Shani. While not made explicit at the time, Geralt is remembering his true love, Yennefer, and is confused. Both women understand this. And neither relationship really kicks into gear until there is a child they need to take care of. Thus, they both "settle" for the sake of raising and protecting a child.

In TW2, Geralt and Triss have a much more casual relationship, but it is clear during dialogue and cutscenes that Triss is conflicted. She wants to be with Geralt, but she also understands that Geralt still cares deeply for Yennefer. And the more he uncovers of his past, the more he'll uncover of her.

Whereas every Bioware relationship since the BGs has basically been the "quick fling", just spread out over a more realistic timeframe. You sit and talk to your companion a few times, flirt a bit, and then you boink. TW(1 and 2) just take that and shrink it down to a few hours.

That's not to say that either is particularly deep or "meaningful". But it is nice to have a more "depressingly realistic" example, as it were.
    Last edited by gundato; 14-01-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Wasn't this one of the features from the get-go?
    Indeed, shockingly poor judgement was definitely one TOR's features from the get-go.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    You know, I think it's highly possible that this is a marketing stunt for grabbing attention. People will get pissed about it, write about it and then BioWare will say how they're sorry and that this was a huge mistake. Shortly after, they'll enable anyone to use this feature for free.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I liked the witcher cards. But maybe I am a brute?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Well, they are beautiful artworks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I thought they were pretty nasty. I don't really see how the Witcher ones are very deep or meaningful really. Take the Witch for example, you have no interaction with her really nothing to suggest a relationship, then you find her in the cave and oh got time to kill, let's have sex.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    All Bioware romance is "talk to me three times and I'm yours."

As such, I'm wondering why you're all torn up about this.

And re: Witcher, you don't necessarily need a relationship to have sex. There's something to be said for being the only guy in the area who's immune to venereal diseases.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    All Bioware romance is "talk to me three times and I'm yours."
    We kinda fill in the details ourselves and assume these characters have had other conversations aside from the ones we've actually seen, because they've been up and down Ferelden, making light speed jumps, or traversing nebulas for months. I mean, the alternative suggests your character has been standing there on the bridge like a gargoyle, not moving or talking for long stretches of time, and your companions never bring it up.

I think The Witcher takes place in a very compressed time frame in comparison, maybe a few weeks tops?
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 15-01-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Well, they are beautiful artworks.
    Except for that witch card. I still get night tremors.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I thought they were pretty nasty. I don't really see how the Witcher ones are very deep or meaningful really. Take the Witch for example, you have no interaction with her really nothing to suggest a relationship, then you find her in the cave and oh got time to kill, let's have sex.
    Well, Abigail is trying to turn you to her side in the coming confrontation.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Well, Abigail is trying to turn you to her side in the coming confrontation.
    I was like "really? the mob's just outside, they'll be here in a minu- d'ok."

Shani I could understand, but the witch just seems so, well Geralt and Abigail alone, so why not have them have sex?

And let's not forget that we can compliment the lady of the lakes ass and then we're having sex. Or that she looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I was like "really? the mob's just outside, they'll be here in a minu- d'ok."
    The mob figured there was a monster in there or that the witch would destroy them in her lair (both true), so that bought some time. And I imagine her and Geralt didn't snuggle afterward.

Also, I forget the specifics (been a while), but they basically arrived at sunset or something, right? So that is another way of saying "We got time to kill"

But yeah, Abigail is definitely in the "fling" category. Although, considering the frequency, it might be worth making a "Manipulative Fling" subcategory. Since there are a lot of ladies who ride the Geralt train to manipulate him or because they are batpoop insane (Adda is both :p)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    And let's not forget that we can compliment the lady of the lakes ass and then we're having sex. Or that she looks like this:
    img
    You mean that never happened to you?!

But seriously - what exactly is wrong with that lady? What about the dryad?

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Also, I forget the specifics (been a while), but they basically arrived at sunset or something, right? So that is another way of saying "We got time to kill"
    hm, maybe, but I do remember the confrontation with the village's notables happens at night, so...
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I think The Witcher takes place in a very compressed time frame in comparison, maybe a few weeks tops?
    "A few weeks" kinda describes all Bioware games too, aside from the "FOUR YEARS LATER" leaps. I'm looking at you, DA2.

ME1 was, like, three weeks. Then you were dead for two years. Then you're back for six more weeks. Then you're put on house arrest for a few months. Then you save the galaxy in another three weeks.

It's more the sorta "we shared traumatic moments and you're conveniently close" kind of flings. Hell, Liara T'Soni's the poster girl for puppy love.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

The dryad is also not great. I think she turned me down in game, most accurate role playing game ever.

Bioware: The only developer dumb enough to do the one thing that will offend absolutely everyone.

Can someone please explain the obsession with gay marriage in Bioware games? Like seriously...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Not really an obsession, but since they started including the option/possibility in Dragon Age 1, then reinforced in 2 and Mass Effect 3, they gained a certain following from the GLBT community and set some standards that members and supporters of that community began to expect from their games.
    There aren't many games that feature same-sex relations, which makes BioWare's stand out.