Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnac View Post
    Can someone please explain the obsession with gay marriage in Bioware games? Like seriously...
    Because... Bioware
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    That's some shockingly poor judgement.
    Shockingly poor judgment? From Bioware? How could this ever happen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Can someone please explain the obsession with gay marriage in Bioware games? Like seriously...
    Technically, nobody ever gets married.

Strangely enough, if it's marriage you want - to any preferred gender - you'll be wanting a Bethesda or Lionhead game.
    Last edited by Nalano; 15-01-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Technically, nobody ever gets married.

Strangely enough, if it's marriage you want - to any preferred gender - you'll be wanting a Bethesda or Lionhead game.
    There was A marriage in Dragon Age that could happen, but that's about it.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

It's simple. You see,

Banned
    hue hue hue hue hue

Tor's Gay Planet would be an awesome game name. Why couldn't this thread be about that? Is it too late?

Banned
    When I read TOR I immediately thought about Tor Onion Network and thought the thread was about hidden gay agenda.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And re: Witcher, you don't necessarily need a relationship to have sex. There's something to be said for being the only guy in the area who's immune to venereal diseases.
    And sterile as well.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by venn177 View Post
    It's simple. You see,

I don't get it. Could you please explain your post?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I thought they were pretty nasty. I don't really see how the Witcher ones are very deep or meaningful really. Take the Witch for example, you have no interaction with her really nothing to suggest a relationship, then you find her in the cave and oh got time to kill, let's have sex.
    Not deep and meaningful no, but it's pretty much what happens when most nightclubs end for the night.

Oh and the thing about the cards, people keep calling them a collectable mechanic. They're not. You get a piece of artwork that just so happens to be displayed on a card. If you go into the codex entry for that character you get a little heart which you can click on to look at it again.

But you can't sex up every character, so there's no 'get a heart for everyone' mini-game. You don't get transparent hearts on the card to indicate the character is shaggable, that then fill in when you get your end away. And nowhere does the game track your number of sexual partners, and certainly not in a "14 of 35" way.

The only reason anyone sees this thing as a Pokemon style minigame is that the art you get is on a card, and cards are used as collectables in other games and Magic: The Gathering and such have us associating 'card' with 'collect'.

Had the game just shown the sex scenes as a painting instead, most of this debate wouldn't be happening. People are bringing baggage to it that isn't there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    I don't get it. Could you please explain your post?
    She's one of Bioware's writers, involved in a handful of games, not all. She likes her games story-heavy, wish there was a "skip to next cutscene button", feminist (and deep LGTB IIRC), and considers Twilight a empowering book for women. There was no 50SoG when her shitstorm started.
    Last edited by pakoito; 15-01-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Not deep and meaningful no, but it's pretty much what happens when most nightclubs end for the night.

This is one thing that I don't get about some gamers, the idea that the main character doesn't/cant have basic urges and just wants to get laid. That every and any woman he looks at in that way, he better have a deep meaningful relationship with her before their get their rocks off.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    She's one of Bioware's writers, involved in a handful of games, not all. She likes her games story-heavy, wish there was a "skip to next cutscene button", feminist (and deep LGTB IIRC), and considers Twilight a empowering book for women. There was no 50SoG when her shitstorm started.
    My favorite part about her would be this quote on the hardest part about game design or something:

“Playing the games. This is probably a terrible thing to admit, but it has definitely been the single most difficult thing for me. I came into the job out of a love of writing, not a love of playing games.”

Oh and the thing about the cards, people keep calling them a collectable mechanic. They're not. You get a piece of artwork that just so happens to be displayed on a card. If you go into the codex entry for that character you get a little heart which you can click on to look at it again.

But you can't sex up every character, so there's no 'get a heart for everyone' mini-game. You don't get transparent hearts on the card to indicate the character is shaggable, that then fill in when you get your end away. And nowhere does the game track your number of sexual partners, and certainly not in a "14 of 35" way.

The only reason anyone sees this thing as a Pokemon style minigame is that the art you get is on a card, and cards are used as collectables in other games and Magic: The Gathering and such have us associating 'card' with 'collect'.

Had the game just shown the sex scenes as a painting instead, most of this debate wouldn't be happening. People are bringing baggage to it that isn't there.
    Dishonored had you collect paintings. Just sayin'.

You're right that the cards in the Witcher have little to do with being collectible, but that's not the reason they're objectionable. The game gives you these cards as if to say 'Achievement unlocked! Here is your reward." Even though there's no tickbox checked or number incrementing, it still treats it with (undue) reverance, and in some way still encourages to get booty as often as you can. There's a slightly uncomfortable emphasis on sex, because these kinds of cards are not rewarded for completing optional quests or advancing the story. If that were the case, there probably wouldn't be much of a problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    My favorite part about her would be this quote on the hardest part about game design or something:

“Playing the games. This is probably a terrible thing to admit, but it has definitely been the single most difficult thing for me. I came into the job out of a love of writing, not a love of playing games.”
    I fail to see the problem, and indeed only see a massive hate-on for somebody who doesn't deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    This is one thing that I don't get about some gamers, the idea that the main character doesn't/cant have basic urges and just wants to get laid. That every and any woman he looks at in that way, he better have a deep meaningful relationship with her before their get their rocks off.
    Could just be they're bitter about not being invited to those kinds of parties.
    Last edited by Nalano; 15-01-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    You're right that the cards in the Witcher have little to do with being collectible, but that's not the reason they're objectionable. The game gives you these cards as if to say 'Achievement unlocked! Here is your reward." Even though there's no tickbox checked or number incrementing, it still treats it with (undue) reverance, and in some way still encourages to get booty as often as you can.
    I didn't read it that way, to me it was just a fairly tasteful replacement for Fallout's fade-to-black or Bioware's horrendous mannequin-rubbing.

I disagree that the game encourages you to have sex as much as possible too - there's an emphasis on it, that comes from the setting and fiction, but it's always up to the player. There is no reward for having sex other than the artwork card, no in-game benefit at all. I guess if your aim in playing the game is to see lots of boobies, then you should have sex as much as possible. But that goes for real life too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

I'm about to blow your mind, but most games composers are in it for the love of music, not games. And a lot of games artists (especially the ones that do actual interesting stuff) are in it for the love of visual art, not games. Likewise writers. Because in all those fields, gaming is just another medium that pays competitive rates in very tough sectors to get in to.

The only people generally in it for the love of the games (other than the lead designers) are the coders, because they have skills they could make far more money with elsewhere, but choose games instead of accounting software because it's more fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    That doesn't make it the beacon of light in gaming romance that people make it out to be. And then there's the animal thing that rewards you for sex in TW2.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    It's simple. You see,
    <stupid photo>
    Also, mocking someone you don't like for being overweight is pretty god damned pathetic.

Or are you somehow saying that, because she is overweight, she can't understand proper relationships?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.