Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Chris Taylor - WILDMAN (RPG/RTS Hybrid)

Gas Powered Games, developers of Supreme Commander and Dungeon Siege, are now mashing those two things together into an RPG/RTS hybrid called Wildman. You play as one warrior in a large battle, gradually upgrading yourself, the allied army, and your control over them. And they’re asking you to fund it, through Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n-rpg?ref=live

Interview:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/14/wi...-chris-taylor/

+ Few other concept art pictures.

Last edited by DaftPunk; 14-01-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Network Hub
    I am intrigued, though clearly the game already has at least a bit to show off, shame more gameplay didn't make it into the pitch, so I will wait.

Bring on the people crying that this undermines Kickstarter.

Another small preview:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/14/ch...rpgrts-hybrid/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Another interview.

My interest level was over 9000 when I read about neanderthals and evolution. But they just had to add fantasy elements, and that killed my hype.

It sort of reminds me of Hinterland.

I don't mind fantasy beings if they're designed good,that tree monster certantly is not lol.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Wow, they're asking for 1,1 million dollars. Good luck with that.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    So basically, another Warcraft 3.

The highly funded Kickstarter projects so far had one of the two things:

- a stellar reputation, demonstrated ability to produce great games time after time (Brian Fargo)
    - an interesting-looking prototype that exceeds expectations people have for an indie game or a little known developer (Castle Story, Planetary Annihilation)

Chris Taylor has neither. Concept art doesn't cut it. Peter Molyneux struggled to get a prototype of Godus out of the door. Originally it was meant to appear after the funding period, and people at 22cans probably had to go through a crunch.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 14-01-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    pass

Network Hub
    I was hoping it was the guy who made RCT.

What was his name? Chris something.

Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    I was hoping it was the guy who made RCT.

What was his name? Chris something.
    Sawyer, I believe. That had crossed my mind too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Looks interesting, but not enough info for now. So I'll wishlist it and make a decision when it is closer to done.

Speaking of, anyone know a good site for learning about new KS projects? RPS was pretty good for the gaming end, but I am not sure if that series of articles has ended. But would still be nice to learn about comics and the like before they become "famous" enough to pop up on a comic news site.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    So basically, another Warcraft 3.

How is this basically W3,this is going to be on bigger scale,also evne if it is like Warcraft 3 at the end i don't think thats bad thing,i quite liked game back in the day.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I was hoping I wouldn't see another appealing project until after Kickstarter delivered unto me a game. (Strike Suit Zero--that's coming out soon, right?) The $20 base tier is a bit of a buzzkill though.

Banned
    Well when they want to do a stupid quality game on Kickstarter, especially an RTS, the high base tier is to be expected.

Hey, what happend to that RTS with castles and air balloons and shit? Did he canned it or something?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Banned
    Kings & Castles? Yeah I think it's canned.

This sounds more more like Sacrifice than anything. Which is a good thing.

I still have faith in Chris Taylor. I'm intrigued but need to know more.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I was hoping I wouldn't see another appealing project until after Kickstarter delivered unto me a game. (Strike Suit Zero--that's coming out soon, right?) The $20 base tier is a bit of a buzzkill though.
    This. I think this new project would of had a much better time of it if it had been announced after the release of one of last years high profile Kickstarters. As it is, I imagine a large proportion of potential backers for this game have already funded a couple of games and would prefer to wait and see what the system develops before splashing out again.

If Planetary Annihilation, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and friends turn out to be good games and get released in a timely manner, then we might see a big second wave of high profile kickstarter projects.

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    Well when they want to do a stupid quality game on Kickstarter, especially an RTS, the high base tier is to be expected.
    Yeah, it's not unreasonable for certain projects, and I'm willing to pay it if it's something I really want or want to see funded, but after backing who the hell knows how many projects I'm finding myself increasingly less likely to float twenties for games that are a year+ away, especially when they tend to wind up on sale at half off the base tier a couple months after release.

Mostly I just have too many bills floating out there already. Once I start reeling in some games I'll take up irrationality again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    The $20 base tier is a bit of a buzzkill though.
    You can get 2 for $30 or 3 for $45 though so could always just team up with a friend to get it for $15 each.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    $20 is the cheapest tier. I don't see it going anywhere.

Yes, it's like Warcraft 3 a lot (Shwarzenegger-style savages instead of Conan-style savages), cartoony graphics. And smells of DOTA (MOBA). I would be more interested if the setting was semi-historic. With technology of the time, no bullshit like forged steel. There were no huge armies, because agriculture wasn't developed and no food surplus means no cities and trade. Instead, we'll get conventional tribal-flavored fantasy hack&slash, complete with spirit powers, war cries, ground stomp, and cooldown management.
    pass

The pitch video has been updated to show more gameplay, and generally explain the game better. Worth a look.

Also, I agree with the "tribal-flavored fantasy" take. Unwritten's tribal theme appeals to me a lot more because it seems deeper and far more grounded in reality. Unfortunately, that's not doing it any favors in the funding department. Over-the-top fantasy puts more asses in the seats.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 01-02-2013 at 08:29 AM.