Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Ghost Recon Future Soldier

Recently was on sale on the Ubisoft shop for 10. So I said... why no? I am somewhat tired of playing planetside2.

My first impresion is having to deal with the payment methods and these stuff. Bad but not horrible. Updating was also slow and cumbersome, like something out of 2001 ... but not bad (whas pseudoautomatic, I don't had to hunt for updates).

The game itself... Is kind of interesting, is like a call of duty game with tools. Theres mini-quest of things you must do .. technically, and the game moves and feel much more sim-y. And this is a great thing!. Suddenly positioning yourself is very important, and good snipers or runners are much more a danger. I got killed a lot before starting to play much more considerately... and I am enjoying it.

Is a decent/good game :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    That first Africa mission was SO GOOD!
    Gunsmith is awesome even though I don't know anything about guns.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    As a huge fan of Tom Clancy's games this is huge kick in to the nuts to all original fans,can't believe someone would buy this even it is 10 euros,its not worth 2€.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    As a huge fan of Tom Clancy's games this is huge kick in to the nuts to all original fans,can't believe someone would buy this even it is 10 euros,its not worth 2€.
    Oh shush old man. Did you even like deniable ops mode in conviction? That was a quality coop/skirmish little thing, but no, it was new so it was BAAAD

That said, I'm till downloading the "Ghost Recon's Next Top Model" so maybe I'll hate it too.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Its not bad because its new,but because they butchered the series,with each new game they strip and strip more of the features preivous ones had,its just sad.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Its not bad because its new,but because they butchered the series,with each new game they strip and strip more of the features preivous ones had,its just sad.
    Which features were removed and why does it make for a poorer experience? I haven't played any TC games (although I own Conviction - must remember to get into the co-op sometime) and Tei's comments got me interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I suppose that I am fortunate, them, because since I never played the older titles, I can play this one without missing anything.

Actually you're missing allot but hey if you enjoy this kind of games,good for you. You should pick up Vegas series,because they are quite simillar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am probably dying way to much to play longterm :D
    The dead cam make the other players look godlike, and make me look like inbreeding.

Is sad this is not on more digital download shops. I think deserve much more recognition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    They are just different genres entirely.

That being said, while I haven't played Future Soldier yet (Bought it on sale, but busy), so far the Ghost Recon series seems largely untouched. GRAW 1 and 2 (PC) were an evolution of GR1.

As for the R6 series, I find I actually prefer the Vegas approach (but R6:3 is my favorite). It is more about me as a player, less about me as a planner. If I want the entire game to be about my planning, I'll play Frozen Synapse (which feels more dynamic anyway). And if I want a game about shooting bad guys, SWAT 3 is my preference since you have to worry about rules of engagement.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Actually you're missing allot but hey if you enjoy this kind of games,good for you. You should pick up Vegas series,because they are quite simillar.
    Quoting myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Which features were removed and why does it make for a poorer experience? I haven't played any TC games (although I own Conviction - must remember to get into the co-op sometime) and Tei's comments got me interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I was a huge fan of Ghost Recon, I've not played much of the Advanced Warfighters but I've almost finished the GRFS campaign and so far I'm quite enjoying it because I can appreciate that they're totally different games.

Ghost Recon featured almost instant death. Anything that didn't kill you immediately made you weaker; a wounded arm would ruin your aim, wounded legs would mean you move very slowly and a wounded chest did both (if I remember correctly). Normal soldiers only had a choice of one weapon plus a secondary piece of kit which could be a pistol, grenade launcher, ammo, sensor, breaching charge, claymore, grenade... Quite a few options. You could pick your squads with a maximum of six people, so two three man teams, three two man teams, 3-2-1 or fewer. Winning a campaign mission with the optional objective would earn you a 'hero' character who has better stats and gear, also any surviving soldiers get one extra point to spend on their skills.

In a mission you can send the AI-controlled teammates to wherever you want, set waypoints for them to follow, tell them to assault (shoot on sight), recon (fire if fired upon with a silenced weapon only) or, er, be normal (return fire with any weapon). You can also tell them to advance (move when given a waypoint until fired upon), hold or push through regardless (i.e. Don't revert to hold when fired upon). Once a character dies you get given a fresh recruit with default stats.

GRFS on the other hand gives you three AI controlled teammates who you can't order around, it's more like the Ghosts each act like the team leader (even if one of them is codenamed Ghost Lead). It's all quite Hollywood, if you get shot on anything but Elite mode a teammate will come and pick you up and as long as you don't get put down twice quickly you're basically invincible, but on Elite you only get one life... But checkpointed saving means you won't lose much progress. There's a billion weapons, you get to have a primary and secondary as well as loads of gear, it's quite scripted and cutscene heavy... But it's much faster and a lot of fun. Most of the time. Imagine R6 Vegas' light tactical action (except even lighter as you can't get a teammate to throw a smoke for you or ask them to stack up unless the game wants you to) and Conviction's stealthy bits and Mark and Execute applied to an outdoor military unit rather than indoors counter-terror SWAT/spy type stuff.

Ghost Recon and GRFS are incomparable in my opinion, same name but totally different games. Then again if I remember correctly Ghost Recon is 13 years old now so that's to be expected. Also Ghost Recon is totally fine to play now, in my opinion it has aged very well.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I was a huge fan of Ghost Recon, I've not played much of the Advanced Warfighters but I've almost finished the GRFS campaign and so far I'm quite enjoying it because I can appreciate that they're totally different games.

Ghost Recon featured almost instant death. Anything that didn't kill you immediately made you weaker; a wounded arm would ruin your aim, wounded legs would mean you move very slowly and a wounded chest did both (if I remember correctly). Normal soldiers only had a choice of one weapon plus a secondary piece of kit which could be a pistol, grenade launcher, ammo, sensor, breaching charge, claymore, grenade... Quite a few options. You could pick your squads with a maximum of six people, so two three man teams, three two man teams, 3-2-1 or fewer. Winning a campaign mission with the optional objective would earn you a 'hero' character who has better stats and gear, also any surviving soldiers get one extra point to spend on their skills.

In a mission you can send the AI-controlled teammates to wherever you want, set waypoints for them to follow, tell them to assault (shoot on sight), recon (fire if fired upon with a silenced weapon only) or, er, be normal (return fire with any weapon). You can also tell them to advance (move when given a waypoint until fired upon), hold or push through regardless (i.e. Don't revert to hold when fired upon). Once a character dies you get given a fresh recruit with default stats.

GRFS on the other hand gives you three AI controlled teammates who you can't order around, it's more like the Ghosts each act like the team leader (even if one of them is codenamed Ghost Lead). It's all quite Hollywood, if you get shot on anything but Elite mode a teammate will come and pick you up and as long as you don't get put down twice quickly you're basically invincible, but on Elite you only get one life... But checkpointed saving means you won't lose much progress. There's a billion weapons, you get to have a primary and secondary as well as loads of gear, it's quite scripted and cutscene heavy... But it's much faster and a lot of fun. Most of the time. Imagine R6 Vegas' light tactical action (except even lighter as you can't get a teammate to throw a smoke for you or ask them to stack up unless the game wants you to) and Conviction's stealthy bits and Mark and Execute applied to an outdoor military unit rather than indoors counter-terror SWAT/spy type stuff.

Ghost Recon and GRFS are incomparable in my opinion, same name but totally different games. Then again if I remember correctly Ghost Recon is 13 years old now so that's to be expected. Also Ghost Recon is totally fine to play now, in my opinion it has aged very well.
    This

The original Ghost Recon was so much better. It might be old but it still has a lot of replay value.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Tom Clancy? He ever wrote a good novel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    He write decent action/spy/militar books. Not all books need to be high brown literature, sometimes you want to read something light, where people is very heroic, or evil or mundane; like a comic book, but without images.

The most major complaints are about technical issues. Apparently the game is as stable as Windows 98.

But the loss of being able to command your team with waypoints and go codes is very sad. It made an otherwise dull and infuriatingly hard shooter more like a game of chess.

And Ubisoft has never made a game with acceptable AI in the past decade at least.
    Virtual Pilot 3D NEVER NOT SCAM!

Thanks for the replies and explanations everyone.

I just installed Ghost Recon: Next Top Model, opinions will follow.

It's dumbed down compared to the original series but sometimes that can be a good thing like fast food is an alternative to a good meal when you don't have much tiime to spare, however the issue lies in the fact that theres is increasingly only fast food available :(

Quote Originally Posted by Plucky Underdog View Post
    the issue lies in the fact that theres is increasingly only fast food available :(
    Really? *incredulous stare*

Do you even believe that?
    Come on, we both know the lowest common denominator is not all.
    Yeah, sounding off is not the same as a reasoned discussion is it?
    It's not like I can't quickly find a dozen new and different titles which fail to conform to the spammy reflex marathons and manshooting head clickers.

*finally blinks*