Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Really?

Do you even believe that?
    Come on, we both know the lowest common denominator is not all.
    Yeah, sounding off is not the same as a reasoned discussion is it?
    It's not like I can't quickly find a dozen new and different titles which fail to conform to the spammy reflex marathons and manshooting head clickers.
    In the realm of AAA games this is very much the case.
    Virtual Pilot 3D NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Is this a "I don't play games that cost less than 30 million" argument?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Is this a "I don't play games that cost less than 30 million" argument?
    Is this anything but a fallacy and possible flamebait?

Stop reading too much into it. It's just an observation.
    Last edited by Shooop; 17-01-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Is this anything but a fallacy and possible flamebait?

Stop reading too much into it. It's just an observation.
    "Expensively produced games do not fulfill my desires" is not the same thing as "games are no good anymore" just saying.

"Expensively produced games do not fulfill my desires" is not the same thing as "games are no good anymore" just saying.
    You're reading things where there weren't any. I'm just pointing out one area of the industry has been largely homogenized. I didn't say anything about games in general not being good or bad.

There's no argument here.
    Last edited by Shooop; 17-01-2013 at 05:33 PM.

There's no argument here.
    Oh yes there is!

...Sorry

Activated Node
    I bought it, but finishing off AC3 first - is the coop any good?

Please feel free to add me on uPlay - Macdory

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    The most major complaints are about technical issues. Apparently the game is as stable as Windows 98.

But the loss of being able to command your team with waypoints and go codes is very sad. It made an otherwise dull and infuriatingly hard shooter more like a game of chess.

And Ubisoft has never made a game with acceptable AI in the past decade at least.
    I've never had the game crash on me, not once in 19 hours (entirely campaign mode which I haven't finished yet). One thing I've noticed is that the first of two splash screens which says 'Press any key' will only recognise Enter, but the screen after that with the same message will, in fact, recognise any key. Also I have the resolution set to my native but it's really clearly not 1680x1050, it looks like 1680x whatever the height would be in 16:9. I WONDER WHY.

Ghost Recon didn't have go-codes and I'd be surprised if Advanced Warfighter/2 did, Rainbow Six 3 did though (and is also still an excellent game even today). I suppose being able to tell your team when to move or not move and when they were allowed to shoot or not shoot was kind of the same, it just didn't have the same slickness as RS3's go-codes. Still sort of worked though. I also wish it had RS3's 'snipers free' fire control, but what can you do? Then again all there really is to do in GRFS is move towards enemies, quietly kill said enemies and move on to the next group so the sync shot is kind of like uberdumb go-code order issuing... It's really more of a puzzle at some points, working out who to shoot yourself and who to leave for your squadmates to sync shot.

Absolutely massive Amen to your last point. In GRFS if you stealth past a whole load of bad guys your three squadmates will sit there and do bugger all forever until you reach an action point or some shooting starts.

And yes, as Mac said; anyone for co-op? I'm neema_t on Steam and uPlay, I believe.
    Last edited by neema_t; 18-01-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    As a huge fan of Tom Clancy's games this is huge kick in to the nuts to all original fans,can't believe someone would buy this even it is 10 euros,its not worth 2.
    Did you enjoy the two Vegas games? I played some Raven Shield and apart from finding it bloody difficult I enjoyed it, but there's just something about these two that I really enjoy. I can see why people don't like them, as they move more into the realm of fast paced combat, but they're some of the only games I actually reinstall to play again, I love em'!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    Did you enjoy the two Vegas games? I played some Raven Shield and apart from finding it bloody difficult I enjoyed it, but there's just something about these two that I really enjoy. I can see why people don't like them, as they move more into the realm of fast paced combat, but they're some of the only games I actually reinstall to play again, I love em'!

I'll be honest i bought both Vegas games and completed them in coop with my mate,but still that doesn't mean i liked them. Sure they were fun but as R6 games..They disappointed very much.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Absolutely massive Amen to your last point. In GRFS if you stealth past a whole load of bad guys your three squadmates will sit there and do bugger all forever until you reach an action point or some shooting starts.
    That's precisely why go codes were so useful - you could get into the position you wanted and then order the shootout to begin whenever you were ready. I'm amazed that no one has had them for so long, they're so simple yet effective ways to give the player control and make them think.

I should make a thread about game features that mysteriously vanished.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    That's precisely why go codes were so useful - you could get into the position you wanted and then order the shootout to begin whenever you were ready.
    You can sort of manipulate the AI to that effect (sneak around until you've got a few enemies between you and your squad then start shooting), but really I think 90% of GRFS is designed so that you can sync shot your way through without ever being detected. Someone described the game to me as 'faux tactical' when I was considering buying it and I can totally see what they meant, it's one of those games which sets up situations and the puzzle is working out which tool it wants you to use. And it's not a very difficult puzzle because it tells you if it wants you to use the UAV, and if it doesn't there's usually three or four enemies walking around. I like to ignore what it's telling you to do most of the time and make something up, I've found quite a bit of fun in deliberately doing it wrong to make it more challenging, like how I used to do MP06 Castle on Ghost Recon only using Jack (I think it was Jack) Stone and his L96 with a silenced pistol, attempting to clear the level in under 10 minutes on Elite. Using Lindy Cohen and a full team of other guys, on the other hand, was a piece of piss.

Most of the fun in early Tom Clancy branded games was writing your own playbook and seeing how it worked. The shooting was almost always terrible.

Putting yourself and team between enemies before shooting wasn't about exploiting crappy AI, but looking at a map of the area and placing way-points accordingly. If something went horribly wrong and everything you loved caught on fire, it wasn't because the idiotic AI didn't do what you thought it would.

Shooting was never terrible in first tom clancy's games,you mean OGR/Rogue Spear right ?

People still play these games even today,that says allot.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Shooting was never terrible in first tom clancy's games,you mean OGR/Rogue Spear right ?

People still play these games even today,that says allot.
    They don't play them because of the shooting though that's for sure. They play them for the other reasons I mentioned - the focus on making plans. They're more strategy than shooter.

Sure you know why people play these games,good for you :|

Sure you know why people play these games,good for you :|
    Couldn't be for the shooting because that's the weakest part of the games. Not unless you're a masochist who thinks going up against enemies who can consistantly shoot the ass off a gnat from 500 yards away with a pistol is a good time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Couldn't be for the shooting because that's the weakest part of the games. Not unless you're a masochist who thinks going up against enemies who can consistantly shoot the ass off a gnat from 500 yards away with a pistol is a good time.

/me hides OFP/ArmA

But yeah. I used to love the early R6 games, but these days I prefer Vegas for shooting, Frozen Synapse for planning, and SWAT 3/4 for the actual hostage rescue.

Its kind of funny. Everyone bitches about all the hand-holding and "You don't get to do anything" gameplay in modern military manshoots. But the old R6s were kind of like that. THe only difference was you made the route through the map.
    I know that in SWAT 3, I am almost always better off having my team Open and Clear or Breach, Bang, and Clear, with myself on rearguard. I bitch when Medal of Honor doesn't let me open a door, but I go out of my way to make other people open doors for me in SWAT3. Weird.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

/me hides OFP/ArmA
    The other big reason I can't get into ARMA. Come on devs, shooters in long range firefights are not that deadly accurate. Not at those ranges. And sometimes not even at closer ranges. Everyone misses a lot more than they hit.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    But yeah. I used to love the early R6 games, but these days I prefer Vegas for shooting, Frozen Synapse for planning, and SWAT 3/4 for the actual hostage rescue.

Its kind of funny. Everyone bitches about all the hand-holding and "You don't get to do anything" gameplay in modern military manshoots. But the old R6s were kind of like that. THe only difference was you made the route through the map.
    I know that in SWAT 3, I am almost always better off having my team Open and Clear or Breach, Bang, and Clear, with myself on rearguard. I bitch when Medal of Honor doesn't let me open a door, but I go out of my way to make other people open doors for me in SWAT3. Weird.
    The thing is though the game made you the one who called the shots - you set up the plan so you at least already did something. And then there was the fact that enemies had a habit of being stupid-deadly accurate with notoriously inaccurate weapons and them likely not having much gun training but still being marine sharpshooters with the reaction times of a cheetah on coke.

It's strange how the games switched up - they used to be horrible at letting the player do the shooting and rewarded you more for planning the attack for the AI to carry out. Now they're better but still not very good at letting you do the shooting, and they give you almost no control over your approaches and AI buddies.

We skipped the sweet spot and went all the way over to the other side.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    So for those who've played it, think $14.24 is a good price for the game and all DLC (currently a daily Steam sale + I have some steambucks to reduce the price a bit)? It seems like people either love or hate it, and I guess it's worth mentioning that I have played all games in the series (well, except for the console-only titles) and enjoyed them all to varying degrees.

I can see myself playing with the gunsmith endlessly as I like to fiddle with things. And in the game.

Is the Ubiplaythingamajigger required for online play?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR