Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,508

    DmC PC performance is crazy. Anyone buying it?

    While the console version runs at 30 fps, the PC version (featuring HD textures, shadows and AA)...


    Yeah.
    Link to article

    After Enslaved, Ninja Theory earned my money.
    GMG has it for 37.5 USD with GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1 until Thursday. It's Steamworks.

    Amusing trailer

    Awesome combo
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 15-01-2013 at 12:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    64
    Obligatory gameplay footage:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbMIKiGjy8

    What do you think about that, satire aside? Seems a bit stupid to me.

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,508
    It reminds me of the goat scene from Drag Me To Hell.
    Looks like a dumb self-aware game. I like that. There's nothing inherently bad about a crazy, childish game.

  4. #4
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    23
    I want Heavenly Sword 2 dammit.

    The only reason I own a PS3, and I regret nothing.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,175
    Buying it ? Based on good performance ? Did you hit your head men,its Ninja Theory we are talking here,they make interesting characters and good story,but gameplay suck i ntheir games,and seing this is DMC we are talking about here..

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,418
    The performance is good, I'll give it that. Unquestionably the PC is the best version for the game. Combat heavy games like this do need to be played at higher frame rates, they just do. That said...



    Now out of playing DMC1/4, I won't say I was ever amazing at the game. I think I hit SS combo a few times, with great difficulty. You know why even that was great? Because it was a real effort and achievement to get that. So with the above video, screw that. If you're going to make it that damn easy, no. No I won't play your game. Reviews have painted it in good light, but I can't play a game with that much stupidity. And the kicker? You don't lose your rank unless you get hit. Marvellous that. I also hate the character design. The original oozed cool.

    Guess I'll be waiting on Bayonetta getting a PC port, as unlikely as that is.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  7. #7
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    I'm glad the performance is good on PC but I played the demo on PS3 and found it a bit boring at certain parts. I don't think it will be bad game but definitely not a day one purchase for me, I'll wait a year (or maybe less) and consider picking it up in a really cheap Steam sale.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,508
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post

    Now out of playing DMC1/4, I won't say I was ever amazing at the game. I think I hit SS combo a few times, with great difficulty. You know why even that was great? Because it was a real effort and achievement to get that. So with the above video, screw that. If you're going to make it that damn easy, no. No I won't play your game. Reviews have painted it in good light, but I can't play a game with that much stupidity. And the kicker? You don't lose your rank unless you get hit. Marvellous that.
    Does the rating actually matter or it's just there for the sake of high scores? If it's just for high scores, can't you just ignore it and go nuts with combos as you please? The combo video I posted above looks pretty damn crazy and fun to me...

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    Obligatory gameplay footage:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbMIKiGjy8

    What do you think about that, satire aside? Seems a bit stupid to me.
    What the FUCK is that....
    Looked at the other gameplay video, yeah they tried to market it to NA I guess, with some shitty marlyn manson music or something too.
    I'll stick to DMC4.

    DMC always had a stupid nonsensical plot but this is just painful to watch.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    And here I was excited they ported DMC to PC.

    Nope, it's just the shitty DMC5 ruining the "only odd numbered DMC games are good" rule again

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,620
    Looked quite impressive, until I saw the CPU to be Core i7 3960X. This test isn't that indicative I'm afraid. But still, that's awesome.

    Japanese hack-n-slash games generally don't have up to standard AI to talk about. That's the primary reason they do not require NASA machines to perform well.

  12. #12
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    And here I was excited they ported DMC to PC.

    Nope, it's just the shitty DMC5 ruining the "only odd numbered DMC games are good" rule again
    4 is vastly underrated and has easily the most balanced of all the combat systems from the first four DMCs. And when I say first four, I meant three, the second game doesn't count.

  13. #13
    Network Hub Gwilym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    165
    Wow, I'd really been put off by the new Dante and the whole smash-the-state shit, but aside from the stupid haircut (and I'm struggling to think of a single game character without a stupid haircut) he's a wee bit lovely, isn't he? Actual charisma, not an affected imitation of it. I miss the goofy bravado, but this seems a viable alternative.

    So we've seen that the game's really nice about giving you the SS ranking, but do we know about overall difficulty? One doesn't necessarily indicate the other, and I can see how the old games' habit of constantly putting up huge C and D grades all over the screen* wouldn't really mesh with the modern expectation that a AAA title will basically blow the average player every few minutes. But even these games include higher difficulty settings, so that kindness alone doesn't have to mean the game will be without challenge. I'm more concerned about the Ninja Theory pedigree, since gameplay's usually quite far down their priority list. It certainly looks fun, but we all know Ninja Theory can do looks.

    *admittedly, they presented those grades in the nicest way possible, but it only took about three seconds to see through that

  14. #14
    Activated Node venn177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The performance is good, I'll give it that. Unquestionably the PC is the best version for the game. Combat heavy games like this do need to be played at higher frame rates, they just do. That said...



    Now out of playing DMC1/4, I won't say I was ever amazing at the game. I think I hit SS combo a few times, with great difficulty. You know why even that was great? Because it was a real effort and achievement to get that. So with the above video, screw that. If you're going to make it that damn easy, no. No I won't play your game. Reviews have painted it in good light, but I can't play a game with that much stupidity. And the kicker? You don't lose your rank unless you get hit. Marvellous that. I also hate the character design. The original oozed cool.

    Guess I'll be waiting on Bayonetta getting a PC port, as unlikely as that is.
    The best part about the Devil May Cry series is how even though it's an over-the-top slash-em-up with essentially a rockstar as its mainstay character, it's still jesus-fuck-shit-tits hard. Especially 2. And 3 on the hardest difficulty.

    WHY WOULD THEY REBOOT THE FUCKING SERIES AND NOT JUST CONTINUE IT

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by venn177 View Post
    The best part about the Devil May Cry series is how even though it's an over-the-top slash-em-up with essentially a rockstar as its mainstay character, it's still jesus-fuck-shit-tits hard. Especially 2. And 3 on the hardest difficulty.

    WHY WOULD THEY REBOOT THE FUCKING SERIES AND NOT JUST CONTINUE IT
    Because the biggest "rockstar" in the world right now is Adam fucking Levine?

  16. #16
    Activated Node venn177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    64
    You had to go and remind me, huh?

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,240

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    4 is vastly underrated
    I couldn't even get past the intro of DMC4. And I finished Chaos Legion.

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Does the rating actually matter or it's just there for the sake of high scores? If it's just for high scores, can't you just ignore it and go nuts with combos as you please?
    It is just for high scores, if you're going for purest definition of why it's in there, however it's not that simple. The ranking system previously worked that repeating moves gave you less and less points, so you would be forced to mix up your moves and attempt new, crazier combos to get the rank high with the penalty of reduced points for repetition. Getting hit would immediately reduce your rank a few steps which is still in, however your rank would ever be kept descending so you had to keep it up - this was removed. It was all a subtle way of getting you to try a variety of things and to encourage you to be the master of combat, not just making sure you got through an area and killed all the baddies. By making SSS easy, you're essentially saying "Hey, don't worry about it, we've got your back." I don't want Devil May Cry to get my back because...

    Quote Originally Posted by venn177 View Post
    ...even though it's an over-the-top slash-em-up with essentially a rockstar as its mainstay character, it's still jesus-fuck-shit-tits hard.
    Even on normal difficulty (which is difficulty level 2 out of 9 if I remember correctly, with the last one usually being a special one I'll get to in the moment) it was a difficult game and the only way you could get better would be to improve your combat skills. So the meter actually plays into that by making you want to get better, by having something to aim at. This reaches its peak on the final difficulty which gave Dante 1hp and forced you to be perfect. That difficulty setting was designed to be the true challenge - very few people actually did this. To get SSS, you had to engage and never leave combat. Now, imagine getting SSS in that mode.

    By Ninja Theory making the style rank that easy, they ruin one of the best subtle concepts of the game, which was to constantly make yourself better. So, the game might feel fun, but I can't help but think it's only going to be shallow, even if there are more combos available than people have seen etc. I say this without playing the demo, but it seems to match what previous fans of DMC have said; this will be a good action game, but not a good DMC game.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 15-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,782
    On this type of games, I always get stuck on some boss.

    Sometimes I go back with a infinite health cheat and finish the game that way.

    EDIT

    WHOAAA!..

    Is a small gem, a genuine piece of art :-O
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78ng...ature=g-high-u

    This game.. I would watch somebody play. I like the game, has a rithm to it.
    As playing.. .I would get stuck on the first big boss, then not have much fun with the game. So is not my tea cup.
    Last edited by Tei; 15-01-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •