Thread: Logitech G400

Logitech G400

My faithful Logitech Mx518 is about to die so I'm looking for a replacement. I've seen the G400 being advertised as its replacement so I'm considering purchasing one. Of course I'd like to make an informed decision so I ask you if there is a reason I SHOULDN'T buy it.
    Mind you recommendations on mice are all good and well but being in Argentina and with the high cost of peripherals I might not be able to get that awesome mouse you are telling me about, that's why I'm asking particularly about this one.

Thank you lovely people.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Had one for four months now - it's comfortable, smooth and accurate, feels solid enough and hasn't thrown up any issues. I upgraded from an ancient MS Intellimouse so I can't compare it to other more similar products, but I certainly can't give you a reason not to get one - I'm certainly very happy with it.

Thanks for the reply.
    Seems solid. I might end up getting it this week

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The G400 is an MX518 with a (twice as good) sensor, higher report rate, thinner cable and a slightly less nauseating "skin" - you should be fine with it.

In fact everyone should - there isn't a better mouse on the planet - wireless mice are for gullible fools and that mouse you bought with 20 buttons on it is like a car with 3 spoilers and a supercharger OUTSIDE the bonnet...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    My faithful Logitech Mx518 is about to die so I'm looking for a replacement. I've seen the G400 being advertised as its replacement so I'm considering purchasing one. Of course I'd like to make an informed decision so I ask you if there is a reason I SHOULDN'T buy it.
    Mind you recommendations on mice are all good and well but being in Argentina and with the high cost of peripherals I might not be able to get that awesome mouse you are telling me about, that's why I'm asking particularly about this one.

Thank you lovely people.
    my mx1000 is still working 2 replace power cables later (touch wood) I have no idea what I'd go to next, I need wireless with a charging stand, I'm not buying batteries every week.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have a G5, which seems to be the precursor to the G400. Seems the G400 is the improved G5 but lacks a weight system. Been a great mouse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    In fact everyone should - there isn't a better mouse on the planet
    I'm a leftie, and I am not impressed by your estimation of the planet's vastness.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    I'm a leftie, and I am not impressed by your estimation of the planet's vastness.
    I used to work with 4 lefties - they all used their right hands on a mouse...

The number of ambi mice out there is so low that you're really struggling anyway surely? I think I could swap to my other hand easier than I could swap to a crap mouse (I was forced to do that on a train once - no room on the table - worked better than I thought!!) :)

The only nice ambi mouse I've used in the last few years was a Roccat of some sort - but it's price tag belied the quality (at half the price it would have been decent)

I'm going to get myself a G400 based on this thread. If it turns out to be a horribly mangled torture device made of barbed wire and bubblegum, I will hunt you all down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    I'm going to get myself a G400 based on this thread. If it turns out to be a horribly mangled torture device made of barbed wire and bubblegum, I will hunt you all down.
    It's a mouse for people who have slightly larger hands I reckon (tbh all 'gaming' mice are) - but it's super comfy for me, and the reliability is legendary (this one has served me 4+ years and apart from a bit of wear on the glides it's still perfect).

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It's a mouse for people who have slightly larger hands I reckon (tbh all 'gaming' mice are) - but it's super comfy for me, and the reliability is legendary (this one has served me 4+ years and apart from a bit of wear on the glides it's still perfect).
    Well I think that fits me quite well, as I have relatively large hands.

Network Hub
    I've been using a G400 for about a year now and so far i have absolutely (or well, almost) nothing to complain about. Seems to be built to last, since even after being tortured for an absurd amount of often click-intensive game time all the buttons still basically feel as responsive and ...clicky as on the day i unboxed it.

The only thing i don't particularly like about this mouse is the scrollwheel, which, while completely functional, precise and apparently just as durable as the buttons, feels a bit stiff/rough and cheap - But that's just in contrast/comparison to the overall feel/quality of the mouse itself and might just be a matter of opinion - And even that shows no signs of aging yet. (Though i've heard similar things about the MX518, so you probably can ignore that whole paragraph completely)

Also a good friend of mine bought one based on my recommendation a while back and so far i didn't get yelled at and he seems equally happy with it as i am. So yeah, i'd say go for it - 'tis a good rodent.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yea, the wheel does feel a bit cheap - and pressing it will often scroll it too (tho the action on that has softened over the years)

What I can't work out is how Logitech can make mice with buttons which click as well now as they did 4 years ago when they keyboards 'action' is dead in a year :)
    Last edited by trjp; 16-01-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Ok, after all the recommendations I went and bought it yesterday. Haven't had much time to test it but I'm quite happy with it. The sensibility selection is quite nice. I only miss the blueness of my old mx518.
    Thanks everyone for commenting! You've been most helpful.