Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Path of Exile Preview and Video Interview

http://www.rpad.tv/2013/01/15/path-o...deo-interview/

Time to prepare for open beta! Even tho everything's gonna be wiped in a week I can't stop farming maps with my Ninja-Marauder.. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Question for Path of Exilers: I am not an ARPG veteran, although I do enjoy the combat in Diablo 3. However, I've quit that game because, well, it feels like I'm playing a lottery more than a game. So I've been looking for a different ARPG.

My problem: while I'm sick of Diablo, I really, really, really like the Witch Doctor's playstyle (ranged, lots of AoE, pets, and a darker theme). I tried Torchlight 2 and couldn't find anything quite like it. Does PoE offer something more or less like a WD? Does it feel less like a lottery?

Banned
    So have you played Sacrifice?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've not played PoE since the first CBs but it didn't have anything like the Witch Doctor at all - no.

The whole game has the darker theme tho and it will be F2P so you can easily find out for yourself :)

I do wonder how many people have poured everything into the CB tho - a few of them probably didn't realise all their efforts would be wiped too!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    So have you played Sacrifice?
    Sacrifice plays more like Magic Carpet. Which is not a bad thing.
    pass

Banned
    Yes! I've only picked at this game since I always knew open beta was coming, and im glad it finally is! PoE itself is like the older Diablo games before everyone of worth and decency left the company, but with a lot of new ideas too.

One of my favourite features is that you can improve items you like keeping them with you as you progress.

I wish Dave Perry would get Sacrifice 2 on Kickstarter, I'd back a hundred pounds instantly *sigh*

I enjoyed this more than Diablo 3 by a longshot and If pressed I might prefer this over Torchlight 2 even.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    I really, really, really like the Witch Doctor's playstyle (ranged, lots of AoE, pets, and a darker theme). I tried Torchlight 2 and couldn't find anything quite like it. Does PoE offer something more or less like a WD?
    Sounds like you would like to play a summoner/caster/totem-build, a good starting point would be Templar or Witch. Unlike in D3 pets are actually viable end-game (or so I hear, I prefer the more "hands on" approach for my builds) and there are a lot of different ways to do it. Dominating Blow, Raise Spectre, Raise Zombie, Summon Zombie (pretty fun to combine with Spell Totem) are the relevant charm/summoner Skills included in the CB.

Obscure Node
    Official Open Beta release trailer just came out

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/e...n-beta-trailer

Been in closed beta for about a year now. The game has progressed substantially in that amount of time and is incredibly fun. I would recommend any hardcore Diablo 2 fan to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakejuice View Post
    Sounds like you would like to play a summoner/caster/totem-build, a good starting point would be Templar or Witch. Unlike in D3 pets are actually viable end-game (or so I hear, I prefer the more "hands on" approach for my builds) and there are a lot of different ways to do it. Dominating Blow, Raise Spectre, Raise Zombie, Summon Zombie (pretty fun to combine with Spell Totem) are the relevant charm/summoner Skills included in the CB.
    Aha, thank you, I'll check that out when the open beta starts. Pets are viable in D3 these days, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's worth noting that PoE hasn't really been in Beta at all - Beta means 'feature complete' and the CB started with about 1/3rd of the game done and a totally different skill tree :)

It has come along nicely - it is a nice 'old school' ARPG too - my only concerns are that

a - they can afford to keep running it
    b - they get the balance between levelling and 'end game' sorted - because they already have a HUGE amount of people who care only about the endgame (and that's killed more than a few games for everyone else in the past)

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    There also seems to be a lot of people who care about the races, which are all about leveling. Even if its not everyone, seems youll have quite a large community around the races.
    You can definitly do ranged, aoe with pets. Every class in the game has access to every skill, the difference being where they start in the massive passive skill tree and what rewards they get from quests.
    As for the lottery feeling, I cant answer that. There does seem to be a better system in place. Instead of gold like in Diablo, currency comes in the form of consumables that you can use on gear. Certain ones provide extra stats, or reroll stats. Reroll gem slot colours, or amounts or the links between them. So you can basically find a piece of gear you like and then craft the things you need into it. A rather intruiging system.
    Also, its free to play with no pay to win, so it shouldnt cost you anything except for the bandwidth to download it.

Yeah, I've been looking into it and it does seem pretty interesting. I hear there are limited respecs, which worries me (it's another thing I liked about D3, the ability to just test anything whenever I wanted to), but I will certainly try the beta, and if I like it, I'll support the game on release. Thanks everyone for the comments!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In principe I have zero interest in going back to this game... but watching the video has picked my interest somewhat. Is true that have this enormeous skill tree, and is true that you can sort of make your own class. The potential is here, if you are a fun person or a good theorycrafter, to make the ultimate class. I .... may..... pay.... a... visit ... but I will probably wait a bit more, maybe "release".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    So is this going to be like other F2P games,free base game but for better stuff pay real money ?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    So is this going to be like other F2P games,free base game but for better stuff pay real money ?
    Free complete game, you pay for more stash tabs (start with 4), more character slots (start with 24). In the future they'll add shiny pets, shiny weapon effects and possibly even shiny armor-skins that you can buy and brag about but wont do anything for you besides look cool! According to the devs, cancer like XP-potions and pay-for-gear will NEVER be in the cash-shop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I tried PoE and wanted to like it. The game oozes atmosphere. Its bleak and dark - I loved it. I really did. It also differentiates nicely between races and classes, something too few games in the RPG/ARPG care about any longer. What it does, it does very well.

But I cannot enjoy it. Its me, not the game I get that. I think I am just thoroughly sick of the ARPG genre period. I loathe dragging characters round by the mouse cursor and the loot treadmill gets old with a speed that would challenge a cat running the 40m. If you're into this genre, I recommend it. But if you're looking for something to revolutionize the genre...I don't think this is the game.

Obscure Node
    Open Beta... It's about time.

Tonight's the night !

EDIT : Or not, considering the last minute huge patch that takes forever to download.
    Last edited by Choca; 23-01-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Network Hub
    I got a frog with a crown with some of my pre-order points, the pets easily look to be the highlight of the microtransactions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goatmonkey View Post
    I got a frog with a crown with some of my pre-order points, the pets easily look to be the highlight of the microtransactions.
    I already have a Kiwi. Do I really need a frog? A frog with a crown? Do I? DO I? I think I do.