Which build to get?

All right, it's time I finally bought myself a full-blown gaming computer. I could build it all myself (probably), but I like to have as little as possible stress over this so I decided to buy a pre-built one. So far, I have found a nice and reliable webshop (silentrig.com, it's Finnish) who also specialize in building silent rigs (surprise!). This is a good thing because my current machine is as silent as a platoon of vacuum cleaners playing bagpipes.

So anyhow, I have narrowed the choice to four different builds. Do note that I'm not asking about the perfect build for a given budget or anything, I have found that all these fit in my budget and I just want to figure out the best of the bunch.

All four have the i5-3570k + Z77 + 8gb DDR3-1600 base setup with a 1000gb HDD and Win7 all installed and ready go. Differences are as follows (apart from the listed, only cases and PSU's differ between the options, and those differences are very minor):

A1: GPU is HD7870. Marketed as a very silent build. 128gb Samsung SSD included by default. Total price: €1360.

A2: Same as A1, but GPU is now HD7950. Total price: €1425

B: GPU is HD7970. No SSD by default, I'd have to add one from their catalogue for ~€150 (no extra cost from installation, though). Total price (incl. SSD): ~€1500

C: GPU is GTX670. No SSD by default (same as in B). Total price (incl. SSD): ~€1450

Note that prices may seem high to you, but these are custom-built computers with Win7 installed and added emphasis on making as little noise as possible, and also this is Finland we're talking about.

What do you say, oh fine persons of RPS?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Don't go with AMD, it'll only give you problems on the long run. Thay may have an edge on performance right now but IMO it's not worth the hassle it gives for some games and linux.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    I say those prices are still obscene, even if it's Finland. Depends a bit on just how lavish they are in the case choice. But a good, quiet Fractal Design Define R4 build would definitely not get anywhere near those prices.

If you're dead set on getting one of these, I'd say the first two are preferable because they come with SSDs by default. I'd probably go A2. You're already paying an arm and a leg, may as well get a high-end GPU with more VRAM in case you decide to Crossfire later on.

PS: Make sure the power supply is quality. That's often the first place they cut corners.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Buy all the parts for A2 or C if you don't want AMD and the case on your own. Buy quiet fans and a quiet case.

Their prices are way too much for what you're getting.

Well as I said, I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for me... But, I have actually already done the maths for a self-built rig of equivalent degree, and even with a slightly inferior GPU (660Ti) it came together as €1300. And that was achieved by cherry-picking parts from different (Finnish) webshops. So I thought that hell, if I can get it pre-built for a hundred eurobucks more, and get it built professionally with all the airflows and stuff figured out, why not.

Edit: Though I must say that I'm open to suggestions regarding good and cheap parts. I haven't entirely abandoned the idea of building it myself. It's just that all parts are painstakingly expensive here, and getting them from abroad could be a bit of a hassle.

Edit2: About cases, the "A" options are using something called anidées AI6 Silent. I found one webshop selling AI6 cases for €150-170, and the Fractal Design Define R4 costs about €100 it seems.

Edit3: Pardon me for editing this constantly... About GPUs, I'd really prefer Nvidia but 660Ti is not that good value for money at least from what I've read (price hovers at around €330-€350, for a good brand with nice fans), and you can't get a 670 for less than €400 here. AMD cards are a lot cheaper: 7950 costs usually even less than 660Ti.
    Last edited by Velko; 16-01-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Mwell, in Denmark, a build like A1 would cost around €1000-1100.

I went for the A2 build. It will be the first "good" computer I've ever had!

...it's funny how life works: when you have time to play you don't have money to buy a nice rig, and when you have the money you don't have the time. Sadness.