Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Help me with specific high-end build

After many months of saving and deciding I finally have enough money for my rig without worrying much on budget. It's main use will be programming, emulating and gaming. I use Virtual Machines daily, in conjunction with Visual Studio, Eclipse and whatnot. I may even start developing for 3D stuff, which I didn't have the chance yet. I also want the building to be capable of supporting several monitors. I would like 3+ for a nice panorama view in games like Skyrim or Minecraft but only if it doesn't over-blow the budget. If not I'd just buy Oculus Rift with the money or something.

My idea is to get a Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU (one or several), one fast SSD, one storage HD, fast RAM, enough PSU to support future enhancements and a case and mobo that fits the beast. 21"-24" gaming monitors in whatever number. In the whole build noise is not an issue because I'm with earphones all the time, but temperature maybe is. Budget tops at 2000 including the monitors.

Also, despite not including it on the budget I would like recommendations on a mouse, mechanical keyboard, a 3D headphone with microphone and some cheap speakers to use when people come watch a movie.
    Because I'm living in Germany my web of reference is Alternate, expensive but reliable. If any alternative is better, just tell me :)

Thank you!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    AMD GPUs tend to have the edge for multi-monitor gaming. But Nvidia's been catching up lately, so Nvidia may be alright as long as you pick the cards with extra VRAM (their standard 2 GB is a bit low for triple-monitor gaming).

And I would probably need to get a SLI mobo, better cooling and more PSU, that's why I'm not convinced either. But I need someone to confirm it. I can build my own PC out of pieces I know would fit, but as this is a big purchase I'd rather minmax and optimize it.

Oh, and... getting three monitors in a €2000 budget might be a bit problematic. Anyway, I cobbled together a build with nearly €900 left for Windows and monitors. It's capable of overclocking and SLI.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k - could perhaps go for a Core i7 depending on your needs, but the Core i5 is pretty powerful in its own right.

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45

Memory: 2 x 8 GB Patriot DDR3-1866 CL10 - good, fast memory with not too huge heatsinks, and 16 GB for those VMs.

Graphics card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 OC 4GB

HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda

SSD: 120 GB Samsung 840

Power supply: XFX Core Edition PRO750W

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R

For monitors I have 2 x Asus VS248H (350€) in mind, maybe getting a third one in the future or think about the Oculus Rift. Can you tune up your build a bit with i7 and a GTX 680 to round it up to ~1300€?

Each of those improvements add about €100, so it ends up at €1340.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Each of those improvements add about €100, so it ends up at €1340.
    Yeah that was about my plan, my problem is not the models but the difference between brands. A Zotac 680 is not the same as an ASUS or an EGA but I don't know which one's the good choice :(

The Gigabyte cooler is one of the best around, and the Gigabyte GTX 680 4GB is one of the two cheapest. So that's what I would pick.

Apart from reference coolers, there usually isn't a big difference between the different brands.

Great, thanks :D

Looks pretty good, whoever put that build together really knows their stuff. :p

If you get fed up waiting for the XFX 750W, you can step up to the Corsair GS800. I'm not quite sold on the OCZ ZS 750W or the Corsair CX750. They would probably do in a pinch, but it's nice to have some margin for error when it comes to the PSU.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    I don't know about the cpu cooler, looks pretty anemic.
    I would go with this:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html

If only to get lower noise levels, but more importantly for better overclocking headroom in the future.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The problem with that cooler is it takes up a lot of space. Check to see where your mobo has its RAM slots and that your RAM has low profile heat spreaders if any.

It's big, heavy, and excellent. We could probably argue about whether it's necessary for this build.