Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Setting-up a new monitor

I finally caved-in and replaced my aging Samsung (1440x900) with the LG 234V Amazon are 'almost giving away' and it's arrived, setup and - erm - massive...

I'm wondering if anyone has tips on setting-up contrast and brightness tho - my old monitor was setup to avoid the 'lines' I'd get from the dying backlight so my eyes are no use to setup anything

Any tips/software/websites which help you get this right??

It's connected via DVI atm but I'm going to swap to HDMI so I can use the headphone socket (and ditch my speakers) - if that makes any diff??

I've seen freeware in the past designed for setting up monitors, but honestly, after taking any recommendations, remember who is going to be staring at the screen and adjust any setting for your preference. I, personally, usually end up dialling the brightness down on any monitor I use.

HDMI and DVI send the same image info, just have different ports IIRC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just have to adjust from the way I'd setup the old monitor to hide the 'bright bands' it showed (and is still showing as a 2nd monitor!)

The setup I've settled on for now is a bit 'cooler' looking but it's nice - I checked a few gamma tests and black is black/white is white and everything inbetween is gradual so it's all working I reckon :)

LOTS of desktop now...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    LOTS of desktop now...
    Yeah once you go two-screen you can never go back.

Any tips/software/websites which help you get this right??
    There you go:

www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    That's cool - thanks - the first test alone is great because there's only a very specific combination of brightness and contrast which shows even colours from left-to-right

I ran it on the old monitor as well and it basically showed a solid block of blue/red - so knackered is the backlight :)

p.s. I just discovered W7 has a colour calib. tool in the Control Panel - the gamma setting in that brought everything up MUCH better again!
    Last edited by trjp; 17-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    also - is anyone here using any of these tools for putting taskbars on 2nd screens/fixing wallpaper etc.

The only freebie I can find is ZBar but I tried Display Fusion and it's VERY slick - possibly worth the cash just for it's window management and automatic wallpaper sizing (my 'virtual' desktop is now a 1280x800+1920x1080+1440x900 and I can add a 1280x1024 to the end if I REALLY want to!)

I'm a BIT disappointed the whole situation with playing games on one monitor and being able to use the desktop on another is still a mess (windows unfocussing/alt-tabbing/pausing etc.) tho - does W8 actually fix any of that (there were rumours it would?)

p.s. I just discovered W7 has a colour calib. tool in the Control Panel - the gamma setting in that brought everything up MUCH better again!
    You have a lot more control through the AMD Vision Control Engine (Desktop Management > Desktop Color)

My Samsung is one of those wretched models without hardware buttons and it's meant to be tuned through DDC. Unfortunately there's no app that works well with it and the one Samsung made no longer works under Windows 7 64, so when the calibration I did under XP was reset, I had to redo it entirely from the driver.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The disc which comes with this LG contains a version of Acrobat so old I think it works with Windows 3, it's installer "Requires Internet Explorer 6" (and won't run on W7-64) and the Dual software (which puts a taskbar on screen 2 etc.) ask you to disable UAC or it won't run.

Monitor manufacturers - they live in 1995...

Obscure Node
    I used multimon for managing multiple displays.

Sad to say though its gone paid for now...

http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm