Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar

Unwritten - Turn-based Strategy Roguelike (Kickstarter)

Unwritten: "Create a nomadic tribe and guide them across a randomly generated tundra to meet its God."

Funding successful. Move along.

They say Civilization meets Oregon Trail. Or "strategy rogue-like" in the way that "each area map feels a bit like a 'dungeon' in the classic role playing game Rogue." It also sounds, to me, like an FTL-style one-way journey/decision-filled story generator. Apparently it also bears some similarity to King of Dragon Pass.

Detailed update on gameplay. Full song from the soundtrack.

Old pre-alpha gameplay screenshot:

New gameplay concept by Amanda Williams, environment artist for Waking Mars:

-

The dev, who most recently worked on Dishonored, posted an editorial on RPS on violence in video games a few days ago.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 13-02-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: campaign over

I saw this before. It looks really good. And they're giving away the dev tools so we can mod it? Hell yes!

I'm thinking about pledging on the beta level.

I'm hoping this isn't one of those Kickstarter projects that's too "different" to find much attention. Gameplay wise, nothing's really off the wall here, but the setting and art style aren't typical.

Banner Saga had no trouble attracting backers with its naturalistic/historical/non-fantasy setting and atypical art style, but it still had a pretty recognizable Western swords-and-armor look to it. Unwritten might not appeal to people who are really hooked on that sort of thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Graphics are a bit too 'built for tablet' for me. But that said, if the game is rich enough I'll stop "seeing" the graphics in seconds.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Obscure Node
    Depends on the gameplay really, but it looks questionable.

The screenshot looks a little odd and uncrisp compared to how the map looked in the video (more hexes visible, less tablety perhaps). Definitely see what you're saying, though.

It'd be nice to know more about what you'll be able to do on that map, including what the resources will be, what kind of upgrades/abilities your tribe will have access to (and whether there will be variety sufficient to support replayability and alternate strategies), how encounters with enemies will play out, and how much variation within the context of "tundra" there will be.

I'm convinced there's potential here, but I'd like to see more laid out before I back. I'm hoping my impression of a traveling Heroes of Might and Magic III battles with resources, varied encounters, and strategic improvement + FTL-style, random story generation by way of fork-in-the-road, consequential decisions isn't too far off. I can't see that not being good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Doesn't look like the second coming of Heroes of Might and Magic. I'm more intrigued by the linked King of Dragon Pass.

By the way, a game is not automatically a roguelike because it has some random elements.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    My interest is piqued but I'm going to wait for the more in depth update about gameplay before committing. If ti sounds like my sort of thing (which I have a suspicion it might) then I'll definitely back it. So far it looks to be something a bit different and those are the Kickstarter project that interest me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Doesn't look like the second coming of Heroes of Might and Magic. I'm more intrigued by the linked King of Dragon Pass.

By the way, a game is not automatically a roguelike because it has some random elements.
    When I say HoMM 3 I'm only talking about the battle screen, which is obviously just a single element of the series. I'm not seeing a rebirth of HoMM here, just one aspect expanded into something very different. Of course, I could be wrong about even that.

And roguelike is the dev's word, not mine: "It could also be called a 'strategy rogue-like' since each area map feels a bit like a 'dungeon' in the classic role playing game Rogue."

I'm also intrigued by King of Dragon Pass. I'd never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    So far it looks to be something a bit different and those are the Kickstarter project that interest me the most.
    Same.

Extensive update concerning gameplay, for anyone who cares. My initial impression was pretty off. The turn-based combat, such as it is, is simpler than I imagined (dev describes it as somewhat CCG-like), but the overall game is much more complex. My main concern was how much variation in terms of strategy there would be, and it sounds like a lot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Hmm, I'm still intrigued, backed it.

Side note: I think the reward tiers weren't greatly thought out though. Including a special ending for people who back at a certain level always seems like a bad move to me, it risks alienating those who would only be willing to back at a lower level by making them think they are being locked out of bits of the game and might put people off backing.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 21-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Unwritten has had a few updates of consequence since last I spammed you about it. I've updated the OP to include new gameplay concept art and some links. And yeah, spam is the word I'm looking for. I've transitioned from impartial observer to Kool-Aid-smoking believer.

Funding got off to a good start but has lurched into a ditch during the not atypical mid-campaign slump. To be expected, but it saddens me that this isn't getting more attention. Kickstarter seems to be atrophying under the weighty expectations of a majority that mostly want to fund the sort of games they've already played. (I realize I have a disorder when it comes to other people and their desire for familiar things.)

If you've checked it out and decided it isn't for you, or Kickstarter isn't your thing, or you spent too much in 2012, I can't fault you for any of that. If you haven't given it a look and you like strategy games, look at it. The fastest way I can describe it is to say FTL but your ship is a nomadic tribe, and reaching the fleet is reaching your god--even if this leaves out a lot of the things that make it unique and quite different from FTL.

I suspect that the setting and themes are a bit too dark, serious, surreal, and rooted in a weirdly rearranged mosaic of history for this to be any kind of smash hit. Wildman has a tribal theme too, and even with all its popular fantasy adornments it's still catching flak from some for not being more recognizable (read: high fantasy). (And from many more for not just being an ARPG, but that's beside the point.) Still, there's gotta be enough people out there who are tired of every third game visiting the same setting.

So, an indie game that you collaborate with to create a "story" with mature themes and some actual history of sorts, but still has the strategic gameplay to back it up and not fall into art-game territory. Yes? No? Ah well, I tried.

And, try as I might, I still think I'm somewhat incapable of conveying the essence of the game. I suppose it'll either click for you or it won't, making my ragewhining kind of pointless.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 02-02-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Still no? Damn you people.

I am very hesistant about pledging to KS's (I haven't yet). It's looking like this one won't make it. My natural reaction is to hold off until it looks like it's going to make it.

It's a shame. I was really looking forward to it and willing to pledge at the beta level when I had the cash but again, it looks like it isn't going to make it. :/

Hesitancy is probably a good idea. I mean, what are you getting? A game that will probably go on sale a month or two after release. And Kickstarter is mostly about the getting to me. I've set out to be more judicious about what I back this year, sticking only to those projects for games that I feel need to exist.

I feel the same about Unwritten as I do about, say, Unclaimed World. Breaths of fresh air are too few in gaming. When I feel that way about a project, what I'm getting feels like more than just the one copy of the game, so the notion of its going on sale shortly after release ceases to matter. I can stand to buy a few games at full price if the alternative is their non-existence. But that's me and my issues.

If all that's keeping you from backing is the possibility of its not reaching the funding goal, I think it's definitely worth a pledge. I know a lot of people probably think that way, and then it sort of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Project looks dead, why bother. But almost all projects hit a slump during the middle of the campaign. There's still plenty of time for a turnaround, considering the modest goal. I've seen projects make a comeback from seemingly insurmountable (and far worse) situations before.

Unwritten was lacking a few things to start, which I think they've corrected. Waking Mars' alien landscape was one of the better things about it, so I think they've arrived at a look that will make people want to explore the world (I do, anyway). Hopefully it gets some further attention, and the gameplay appeals to enough people to get there. If only they had an offensive tits&gore collectible to get gaming sites talking.

Activated Node
    Yikes, I think I will have to up my contribution to this. It looks too good not to exist.

Activated Node
    I'm really sad to see this one looks like it isn't going to make it. It definitely seems to be taking some chances a lot of the more successful ones aren't, but I was hoping the developer's pedigree and enthusiasm would be enough to at least get it to $75k. If only I had 50 grand to spare. The new concept art looks very nice as well.

Kind of redundant to post a link to RPS, but Adam's interview is a good framework for what might be the clearest explanation of the game so far. It explores a few previously-unknowns, and gives the dev an opportunity to address some issues people had.

Network Hub
    After reading Adam's interview, I pledged for it, which is odd considering that I've never backed a KS before. But I'm really liking the idea here, and I'd hate to say it fail to meet its target. Hopefully the interview boosts its visibility a bit; I didn't know it existed until I read that, not sure if other people were in the same boat.

In the Kickstarter Katchup for today, I think Adam's sadness endorsed Unwritten.

Only something like ~1.5% of projects that have crossed the 65%-funded barrier have failed, but there's still about $26,000 to make up with 53 hours to go.