Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    177
    looks like this game is designed to work on mobiles and tablets. not exactly a bad idea though given the surging numbers of mobiles users.

  2. #22
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by ambing1 View Post
    looks like this game is designed to work on mobiles and tablets. not exactly a bad idea though given the surging numbers of mobiles users.
    They just recently mentioned that as a stretch goal, but seeing as how meeting stretch goals is unlikely, it's not the focus of the project. I'm not a mobile/tablet person, so I have no real idea, but it doesn't seem like a good fit for that space to me, if most of that space is filled up by casual games. Republique had a hell of a time finding enough interest amongst tablet owners, and ultimately couldn't. Still, if Roxlou is considering it, it's probably quite doable (and it looks it). (Meaning tablet... it seems like it would be way too tiny on a phone.)
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 11-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.

  3. #23
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9
    11 hours to go on this very promising Kickstarter project and they are in the midst of a gaming marathon! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d/posts/403255

    This reminds me a lot of King of Dragon Pass, a piece of brilliance and uniqueness that I think is well worth deriving inspiration from. Most definitely on board and interested in this one!

  4. #24
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    I am very hesistant about pledging to KS's (I haven't yet). It's looking like this one won't make it. My natural reaction is to hold off until it looks like it's going to make it.
    While I completely understand the hesitancy with KS pledging in general (definitely something that I think requires more thought as a decision than most are giving it) I don't see how it makes sense to want to hold off on a pledge unless it looks like it's going to make it? It's not like they get any of your money if it doesn't make it to the goal so the thought of waiting until last second seems like a bit of a catch-22, no?

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebmono View Post
    While I completely understand the hesitancy with KS pledging in general (definitely something that I think requires more thought as a decision than most are giving it) I don't see how it makes sense to want to hold off on a pledge unless it looks like it's going to make it? It's not like they get any of your money if it doesn't make it to the goal so the thought of waiting until last second seems like a bit of a catch-22, no?
    It is a bit of bad logic (that I myself utilize), but there is also a decent rationale.

    People are idiots. Look at all the KS projects that go over budget, don't realize their extras cost money to make and ship, or forget that KS and Amazon are gonna take a cut. So backing something that just barely squeaks by is a bad move. You want a bit of safe padding.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  6. #26
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9
    Ah, excellent points! I guess it all goes back to the root issue of people in general (me most definitely included) not taking a deep enough look at the logistics and realism of KS projects.

    I've actually recently decided to avoid projects with physical rewards for the points as you've mentioned. That's also one of the reasons that I felt confident backing At The Gates (despite the fact I can't stand looking at pictures of Jon Shafer, he always looks so damn smug!).

  7. #27
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    It is a bit of bad logic (that I myself utilize), but there is also a decent rationale.

    People are idiots. Look at all the KS projects that go over budget, don't realize their extras cost money to make and ship, or forget that KS and Amazon are gonna take a cut. So backing something that just barely squeaks by is a bad move. You want a bit of safe padding.
    Unless the padding is built into the asking price. I imagine project creators are (made) aware that Kickstarter has a pretty stable 85% collection rate, which subtracts an even bigger chunk than the fees do. Minus 5% for Kickstarter and 3-5% for Amazon leaves about $58k in Unwritten's case. Assuming a creator isn't willfully ignorant or an idiot (still kind of a big assumption--but you do have 30 days of a campaign to judge them by), a buffer is probably pretty obvious.

    Backers will often ask, "Why do you need $75k for this?!" The answer is that they don't. They need $50k. If they know what they're doing.

  8. #28
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,359
    Let's do it. I haven't backed a KS yet, but I want to play this game. C'mon, final push!

  9. #29
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    ...5% for Kickstarter and 3-5% for Amazon...
    While you bring it up, does anyone else find that combination of fees pretty intense? Especially considering these folks are just intermediaries here. I mean, does Amazon even have to do anything additional to handle payments beyond its existing system for everything else?

    Not a critiplaint, just a thought starter. I also realize that compared to the chunks traditional publishers take out of a developers pocket this is nothing, but I would have to think that these levels of fees have to imply a market opportunity for another Kickstarter-alike to get into the business with a trimmer fee schedule. Is there anything else out there besides Indiegogo and Kickstarter which has legs and may be cheaper?

  10. #30
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Let's do it. I haven't backed a KS yet, but I want to play this game. C'mon, final push!
    Most definitely, have to admit that this last minute churn has got my attention for some irrational reason. Really rooting for them to pull it through!

  11. #31
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebmono View Post
    While you bring it up, does anyone else find that combination of fees pretty intense? Especially considering these folks are just intermediaries here. I mean, does Amazon even have to do anything additional to handle payments beyond its existing system for everything else?

    Not a critiplaint, just a thought starter. I also realize that compared to the chunks traditional publishers take out of a developers pocket this is nothing, but I would have to think that these levels of fees have to imply a market opportunity for another Kickstarter-alike to get into the business with a trimmer fee schedule. Is there anything else out there besides Indiegogo and Kickstarter which has legs and may be cheaper?
    Having the infrastructure to handle the potentially multi-million dollar transactions (and all the users that entails) is defiitely worth some cash.

    Also, keep in mind that there ARE fees and what not that are usually absorbed somewhere along the way whenever you use your credit card. While probably not a full 5%, it is fair to assume that Amazon doesn't feel like absorbing those fees for someone else. And there is a good chance that international stuff adds additional fees (that add up).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  12. #32
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Having the infrastructure to handle the potentially multi-million dollar transactions (and all the users that entails) is defiitely worth some cash.
    Star Citizen's off-Kickstarter infrastructure woes made this pretty clear. Kickstarter doesn't go down during the first few days of a campaign, setting off a cascade of cleanup and creating a huge support burden.

    With several million users, Kickstarter also functions pretty well as a promoter of its own projects. I've seen a lot of games on Indiegogo that probably would have been funded with the built-in visibility of being on Kickstarter.

  13. #33
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,286
    I still think Indie Gogo shot itself in the foot by offering flexible funding. Because even if that isn't the norm anymore, I know I instnatly am wary of even reading anything on there because of that.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  14. #34
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    It really, really did.

  15. #35
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...pened?ref=card

    2,075 backers
    $75,620 pledged of $75,000 goal
    5 hours to go

    So it's happening.

  16. #36
    Lesser Hivemind Node johnki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    736
    And now that it's definitely being made, I'm broke. -_-

  17. #37
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    And now that it's definitely being made, I'm broke. -_-
    You have 6 months to save up 20$. No need to "preorder".

  18. #38
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    344
    Thank goodness, I was getting worried near the end there that it wouldn't make it over. Good job team, can't wait to see how this plays.

  19. #39
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    I'm excited for the project and relieved that I can stop spamming the forum about it. At first I was just posting about a game that looked kind of interesting, but then I turned into one of those really annoying believers. I'll be happy to see this somewhat mistitled thread disappear forever.

  20. #40
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9
    Ditto, very glad this made it over the finish line and can now go on to trying to achieve the promise it holds. Time to let this thread die a peaceful death, starting.....now.

    I mean now.




    Now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •