Strategic War in Europe, worth a punt?

So Strategic War in Europe is 66% off today and I was wondering if anyone here has played it. I'm a newcomer to this kind of hard strategy grog gaming but I've been wanting to get into it for a while now but the exceptionally high pricing of most of these games always puts me off.

So anyone here played it or recommend another good budget grog game?
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    I would recommend Darkest Hour. It's not a traditional turn-based hex wargame, but it's still very much grognard-oriented. Based on the venerable Hearts of Iron 2. It generally plays better than Hearts of Iron 3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    I would recommend Darkest Hour. It's not a traditional turn-based hex wargame, but it's still very much grognard-oriented. Based on the venerable Hearts of Iron 2. It generally plays better than Hearts of Iron 3.
    How much of an improvement is Darkest Hour over HoI2? HoI2 is one of my favourite strategy games.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    There are a variety of improvements, but the overall feel of the game is quite similar. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel nearly as much as Hearts of Iron 3 does.
    It's also compatible with lots of mods for HoI2.