Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skyrim in 3D - simply amazing

Today I tried skyrim in 3D (using nvidia 3Dvision) and it looked absolutely amazing. I am wondering if any of you have done this, and if so, what your thoughts on it were.

I would post screenshots but well that wont work unless you have the needed 3D equipment :p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Is that something you can even do? 3D screen shots I mean, I guess of nvidia supported it and had a file type.

I'd be interested to see how the 2D elements such as hud and fog look.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I don't have Nvidia the 3Dvision device, I have a Sony 3D TV but the Skyrim PS3 doesn't support 3D.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Is that something you can even do? 3D screen shots I mean
    That's the thing isn't it, as far as I'm aware 3D can't be represented accurately through screenshots, so we're left with certain gamers (ie me) half-suspecting this is all a bunch of hocus pocus similar to failed technological experiments such as the Virtual Boy. It's a case of I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes. Unfortunatly none of my one and a half friends has a 3DS or 3D TV, and if they did, they couldn't use it for more than twenty minutes at a time anyway.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 09-12-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    3DS works, but you can't move your head too much.

One of my big hopes for 3D displays was a 3D windows environment, with various focal lengths to allow a longer depth of focus to lessen eye strain.

Looks like we'll be needing future tech for that
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I've tried it on my Tridef 3D enabled monitor, found the perfomance to be too poor which is unusual because I don't usually find 3D has a noticeable impact, it looks great if I don't move though.

3D screenshots work if you have a 3D monitor and glasses to view them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    That's the thing isn't it, as far as I'm aware 3D can't be represented accurately through screenshots, so we're left with certain gamers (ie me) half-suspecting this is all a bunch of hocus pocus similar to failed technological experiments such as the Virtual Boy. It's a case of I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes. Unfortunatly none of my one and a half friends has a 3DS or 3D TV, and if they did, they couldn't use it for more than twenty minutes at a time anyway.
    Well I don't know whats up with that 20 minute thing I have no problems playing both my 3DS (gasp yes I own a console) or my PC in 3D for as long as I wish :p

I might be able to take screenshots of the old blue/red 3D which you could view if you had the glasses (regardless of wether you have a 120hz monitor). I will investigate this soon, as I am on my laptop which does not support 3D :)

Also, I have no problems running Skyrim smoothly on ultra in 3D so I guess YMMV.
    Last edited by cardason; 09-12-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Cleared up a few things.

I felt the same way, but I tried out some large 3D monitors in the computer section of Best Buy and came away very impressed afterwards.

Activated Node
    The problem for me with 3D is that every 3D monitor I've looked at so far are terrible TN panels with poor viewing angles (lean back and the entire screen changes brightness), horrendous backlight bleed, and poor colour reproduction. When I can get a 3D monitor with an IPS panel, then I'll be tempted to go 3D.

Network Hub
    I bought a 120hrz Monitor and the Nvidia 3d vision kit, such a waste of money....

Just gives me eye strain after about 15 mins and I end up turning it off.

Network Hub
    Well, my problem with the whole 3D-thing is that it just doesn't work for me, as one of my eyes is much more dominant than the other, resulting in only limited stereopsis (three-dimensional sight). I often feel I'm missing out one something there (all those 3D movies for example...), but then people complain they're getting literally sick from watching a 3D movie and I think maybe it's not so bad after all. :)

Edit: To add something substantial to the topic other than my whining: I wonder how many more people (as a percentage of the population) have a similar impairment and because of that are shut out from the whole 3D-craze.
    Last edited by Subatomic; 09-12-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    I bought a 120hrz Monitor and the Nvidia 3d vision kit, such a waste of money....

Just gives me eye strain after about 15 mins and I end up turning it off.
    Well, if you're not using it, I'll go ahead and PM you my mailing address. Merry Christmas!

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    I wonder how many more people (as a percentage of the population) have a similar impairment and because of that are shut out from the whole 3D-craze.
    I should wear a contact in one eye but I don't - it's really only an issue for long distance driving for which I keep a pair of glasses in the car. But 3D cinema is lost on me as well.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Edit: To add something substantial to the topic other than my whining: I wonder how many more people (as a percentage of the population) have a similar impairment and because of that are shut out from the whole 3D-craze.
    Well I do. I use my right eye for reading, watching tv, computer (My head it slightly tilted to the left because of that right now), which is dominant while i use my left eye to see at the distance or watch movies in cinema. Therefore 3d works for me in cinema but when i tried it in a shop i saw no difference. I only tried it for 3 minutes or so maybe I can get use to it or learn how to watch with glasses.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cardason View Post
    Today I tried skyrim in 3D (using nvidia 3Dvision) and it looked absolutely amazing. I am wondering if any of you have done this, and if so, what your thoughts on it were.
    Shame about the crosshair. I hope they patch it like it happened with BFBC2 and others.
    It looks amazing, but I rely too much on the crosshair to play it like this :P

The crosshair is ok for me generally, but I am playing melee at the moment so yeah :p

I also tried frapsing it but for some reason the video came out with 2 seperate images. I.E the video was divided in half with both halves having the same picture (in 3D). If anyone can tell me how to fix this I will upload a video of the red/blue 3D (which doesnt look as good but will give you an idea of the 3D effect).

Obscure Node
    I couldn't agree more.
    I got myself Nvidia 3D Vision 2 a couple of days ago and after an initial 30 minutes or so of finding the right depth & convergence and applying a Helix shadow fix, I too am totally blown away.

I have a 2600k with a GTX 670 OC and run at a mixture of high and ultra settings. I play as an archer and in turning off the crosshair, has added to my enjoyment of the game as you very soon adapt to the 3D environment and find your range.

Had 3 mates have a go on it it last night and some of the words and phrases were "wow", "holy ****", "I think I've just seen the next big leap in computing, I'm blown away"

Once I finish Skyrim, I will be starting over as a full blown mage, as the spell effects look absolutely stunning in 3D too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It can, but only to other 3d TVs/screens or as a sterioscope. So you either have to have a 3d screen/html/image codec to send to another person who has the same, or send the image as 2 stills and have them put it into "3d" (really still sterioscopic) themselves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The crosshair is ok for me generally, but I am playing melee at the moment so yeah :p

I also tried frapsing it but for some reason the video came out with 2 seperate images. I.E the video was divided in half with both halves having the same picture (in 3D). If anyone can tell me how to fix this I will upload a video of the red/blue 3D (which doesnt look as good but will give you an idea of the 3D effect).
    That IS how 3d works. To record in 3d with overlayed images, you would need to see if NVidia does a recorder that interfaces with their drivers. OR use a 3d enabled video editing suit to cut the 2 images of your existing recording up and put them into an interlaced/overlayed/3d codec type video.

this and this suggest its a good number of people. Being that 1 in 10 can't see it, and I'd say a higher number still get headaches/sore eyes/etc from viewing it for prolonged amounts of time. I heard that 1 in 4 have difficulty with 3D in some form, but I can't find a citation for that number nor remember where I heard it.
    Last edited by Wheelz; 20-01-2013 at 07:29 AM.