Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar

The SimCity Thread

I didn't see one of these, so I thought I'd start one.

Betas are going out now and some kind soul has posted a bit of gameplay footage.

Anyone get an invite? Anyone else disheartened by the size of the city in the video? Anyone planning on buying this game?

I love the series a lot, but I'm honestly a bit worried about this iteration. A few major improvements, wrapped in some possible dealbreakers.

Also, a plea: it would be nice to talk about more than the blatantly shitty DRM situation in this thread. It's definitely a topic worth discussing, but there's a game here too, and it seems like most of the internet conversations about this game eventually devolve into a DRM shitfit, including supporters and detractors.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    The sizes of the cities have been shrinking since SC3000.

Now, I watched this with the sound off, as I'm at work, but just eyeballing it, it kinda seems more like a suburban Settlers (with little cars instead of little people) than a SimCity.

• Ability to add capacity to existing buildings
    • Granular control over resources

Dislikes:

• No mass transit (tho this may just be added in future implementations)
    • Same mid-America/West Coast architecture and land use (freestanding buildings with oceans of parking)
    • No indication of the game's ability to deal with awkward building shapes (the plot can fit whatever, but the building just plonks in the center of it)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    What's the word on reticulating splines?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

From a Maxis employee:

Always. Seriously though, being the first 3D SimCity (and the first with curvy roads) means there’s some serious spline tech under the hood. We’ve got a few old, grizzled engineers (including some from the SimCity 4 days) making sure your splines are reticulated to perfection.”
    I'd be willing to bet that more public transport options will be added in expansions, that's seemed to work well for them in the Sims. I'd love to lay highway too, but it looks pre-built in the video. Not really concerned about a lack of power lines and pipes, I eventually modded that bit out of SimCity 4 (it's just not fun).

As for the Californchitecture, that's definitely a legitimate criticism.

If this game is mod-able I suspect we'll see the (still thriving) SimCity community solve some of these gripes. If it's not ... may god have mercy on their souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    As for the Californchitecture, that's definitely a legitimate criticism.
    Californitecture. I will use this term in the future. Although it makes me think of Californication, and now I want to listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers.

If this game is mod-able I suspect we'll see the (still thriving) SimCity community solve some of these gripes. If it's not ... may god have mercy on their souls.
    I am still downloading BATs hot off the presses from the teams working on recreating NYC and Detroit buildings, and I would be lost without NAM and the mod for pedestrians to walk further than six feet from their homes.
    Last edited by Nalano; 18-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    No mass transit is nearly a dealbreaker for me, though it was incredibly irritating to implement well in SimCity 4 so maybe it's for the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    No mass transit is nearly a dealbreaker for me, though it was incredibly irritating to implement well in SimCity 4 so maybe it's for the best?
    You'll be wanting the Roadtop Mass Transit mod for SC4. No more needing to devote map tiles for subway stations and bus stops in build-up areas!
    Last edited by Nalano; 18-01-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Ooh I haven't played with that before - thanks for the link.

I was kind of hoping that the new game would allow for drag-able highway interchanges (I'm awfully sick of the puzzle pieces in SC4). Alas, they look pre-planned in the video.

Banned
    Looks great!

I like the idea of been able to run concurrent cities on an area of land and have them interact.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fires up Sim City 4 (with rush hour).... never leave me!

Notices EA took down the Youtube video. DRM and EA... I should trust these with SimCity in their current for because?

Patrick Swayze I don't think you and me will ever agree. AFAIK Simcity 4 had that, and if you had a large city space, emulated it. ;)

PS, sorry to throw it off track. But my 1 plea would be zero online gameplay (I'd even let the DRM fly!). I just want a single player experience with this. This game is Sudoku, not gin rummy.
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 18-01-2013 at 09:14 PM.

You can play completely single player (albeit while connected to the internet) if you choose. That's how I would likely play it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, as it's under NDA, I'll have to wait until release/demo before making a judgement then. Hawken was a great game up until the day of "release" :(

I have seen a couple reports (and some conflicting ones, actually) that there's an open beta scheduled for next weekend.

What happened to Hawken?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They succumbed to the draw of F2P mechanics and both left the gameplay/core netcode fall and added p2w elements. While Sim City stays singleplayer it will lack the "pay 2 to place a better power plant and beat the other players" drive, it might get adds/annoyances else where. The fact they are driving social and monetary elements over a decent product is what concerns me.

I don't want a car with added facebook apps installed to tell everyone when I park or drive through Mcdonalds. I don't want my car to to compete with my friends over how efficient I wipe the windscreen. I just want to drive... or play Sim city!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    I like the idea of been able to run concurrent cities on an area of land and have them interact.
    Simcity 4 does that. Furthermore, it manages to do so without being perma-online.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Something tells me that this new SimCity is going to have this Diablo III treatment. I could understand some of the complaints that this would have some rather simplified mass-transit, the always online, the save limits and all but I'm pretty sure there will be some more features that would improve (or "dumb down", depending on your mindset) the whole experience. I'm keeping an eye out for it but I won't hold my hopes up either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Simcity 4 does that. Furthermore, it manages to do so without being perma-online.
    It's probably because Maxis wants to encourage people to interact with each other building their cities and- oh, who am I kidding. It's probably that they want an excuse to justify their perma-online anyway
    Last edited by Voon; 19-01-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar
    I was kind of hoping that the new game would allow for drag-able highway interchanges (I'm awfully sick of the puzzle pieces in SC4).
    They're trying to rectify that in the next NAM update.

7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

Steam|Last.FM

Obscure Node
    Beta for next weekend is now available for sign up: http://simcity.com/beta

More information: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ta-if-you-can/

FTA:

beta builders only get to play a snapshot of game for up to 1 hour at any point between January 25 and January 28.

Network Hub
    So dumbed down and always online DRM........ I don't know why there is still interest.

Network Hub
    Yep, always on DRM.

Definitely not going to bother with this one. I wish someone would make Sim City 5 already..