Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869
Results 1,361 to 1,374 of 1374
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    No matter how many bus stops I built or how many street cars I have, even with High density avenues my streets get clogged with traffic and my export trucks get stuck resulting in me not making any profit. Traffic jams also cause lots of glitches, cars getting stuck etc.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by tadada View Post
    SC is basically a 1999 game on a brighter colors game engine, played forcefully online for no reasons whatsoever regarding the actual play, sold today for 60-80 euros.
    Why did they even bother to do it?
    EA is retarded.
    14 years retarded, to be precise.
    Nah, packaging manure and successfully selling it for 60-80 euros a box is not retarded. It's art.

Where they really failed is that engine. Long development time, complicated tech leading to the server disaster, and the only justification for it was that it was supposed to be necessary for cool new mechanics. It appears no such mechanics made it into the final game, and they should never have gone for the "agent" tech to begin with. Why not build the actual game systems in a solid way, ship a year sooner, and avoid the brunt of the server PR disaster (even assuming they'd have stuck to their always-online DRM)?

They could always have just topped off the game with agent-ish visuals and/or lie about the whole system being based on that stuff if they needed that for marketing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Where they really failed is that engine. Long development time, complicated tech leading to the server disaster, and the only justification for it was that it was supposed to be necessary for cool new mechanics. It appears no such mechanics made it into the final game, and they should never have gone for the "agent" tech to begin with.
    I was particularly interested by them talking about simulating discrete agents in the first place, but then was surprised at how soon the finished game came out. Seems like the devs had an initial interest in breaking the mold of previous SC games, changing the way they worked fundamentally and creating the opportunity for all sorts of interesting, emergent activity, then got told by EA to hurry for a release date and had to cut it all out. Basically just a shame that they weren't allowed to spend however long they needed with such a beloved franchise to make something genuinely interesting.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Nah, packaging manure and successfully selling it for 60-80 euros a box is not retarded. It's art.
    Hahaha
    I''m with you on this one. Nice way to put it.
    There's also people who would call that a shenanigan and it's very hard to contradict them.
    And when the shenanigan is played on over 1 million people, for 60-80 $/euro each, humor looses it's grip as a solution, in my opinion.

I ended up discussing here, about this game, because I wanted refuge, sanctuary, from MMOs "pay me again for a spoon" crap
    only to discover I'm being cornered again by gaming industry blunt stupidity and lack of style.
    I think it's time for me to give them the finger, one way or another, and there's plenty of ways to do that.

Next time you read articles about gaming industry shares going to dump status remember it's not only about "the economy" but first about what many in this industry deliver as product lately. Utter crap. Next one to try and sell farmville platform or lab rat experiment (Skinner box) as gaming product should bite the dust too. And the next one. And the next one. And so on.

Excuse my generalization (the whole gaming industry starting from only this pathetic title? please, get a grip). I made it not only because SC, but because the past 3-4 years at it.
    The RPS actually gave me some hope, pointing to games that usually go under the radar.
    Some of them are good. We can only guess what will evolve as future main stream to fill the current emptiness in entertainment.
    Last edited by tadada; 08-04-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Network Hub
    I hate to beat a dead horse when it comes to the always on connection of Simcity, but this is why I have such a hard time getting around it. I simply have no confidence in EA's ability or desire to keep the servers running long term:

EA has continued its sweeping company-wide restructuring by shutting down three of its Facebook games. The publisher said The Sims Social, SimCity Social and Pet Society will go offline from June 14th as a result of a large decline in player activity.

In a statement on the closure of The Sims Social, EA said it had made the decision to close the title so it could reallocate development resources to other projects. EA has also told users to spend any remaining Playfish cash or other existing currency relating to the titles, as it will not be valid after June 14th.

According to AppData, The Sims Social still has more than five million monthly average users, with over 500,000 playing the game daily. Pet Society has more than one million MAUs and 500,000 DAUs, while SimCity Social has one million MAUs, and 100,000 DAUs.

The news of the game cancellations comes as EA has made a number of layoffs at its studios in Montreal and Ireland as it looks to streamline its operations.
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...SimCity-Social

That's an awful lot of daily and monthly users to shut down. What happens with Simcity if the user base isn't continually buying DLC in 5 years?
    Last edited by Granath; 15-04-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    They did the same thing with some facebook dragon age game, which they then released for free as a stand alone game so I guess for the players affected here, there is some hope that they'll get to continue to play their game though with limited features.

I don't think they've ever fully "killed" a game yet. They turn off the servers for the sports games after the game is two years old and some other games with dwindling player bases so it's not a new practice for them.

But for SimCity, I dunno. They might just pull the plug in 10 years time when the DLC buyers dry up. They've already tried calling it an mmo so they'll probably continue to act like it's one.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    They killed the Sims Online, right. Not that it didn't deserve to be killed...

But, yeah, of course they're going to shut off the servers for this game at some point. Which would be a shame if the game wasn't complete and utter shit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And we'd paid 60 for it...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar

Cities in Motion 2 has agents.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

It would be the best, if the cities would be bigger and if there weren't so many bugs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Apparently Airships are the modern mass transit option of the future:

http://store2.origin.com/store/ea/en...81200/sac.true

Take to the skies with the SimCity Airship Set! Place the Airship Hangar into your city and watch the tourists arrive in grand style. Place in the Commuter Airship Mooring to alleviate traffic and make commuting a breeze for your city’s workers. Raise property values and lift your Sims’ spirits with two distinct and beautiful balloon parks. With so many spectacular airships to choose from, how will you make your city...
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

All for the low price of $8.99 USD

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yep. And did they fix any of the broken gameplay from 6 months ago?...

... hahahahaha. My sides they hurt. I implied SimCity(5) had gameplay... lol.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Apparently Airships are the modern mass transit option of the future:
    So, what's the advertiser this time?
    Massive Dynamic?
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Well this could be interesting: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/0...n-offline-mode

Taking a look at the survey, most of the features seem like good ideas, though the fact that they will be paid for and many locked away in specific DLC packs is still pretty annoying. Regardless, even just the ability to play offline, have bigger cities and have more control over transit and traffic flow should be great.

I haven't actually played in months, though, as the current state of the game is just a little too limited when compared to my great experiences with SC4. Also, mods goddammit.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/