Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    MicroDLC means the mod scene will be dead in the water. Yay.
    This. Nobody (I hope) is saying that EA is trying to force us all to buy DLC, or that all DLC is evil, as that's ridiculous. We just don't want DLC at the expense of mods. Remember NAM? Do I also have to link http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=9440.0 again?

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    I loved Sims 2 (The simulation side was the worse I've ever seen in a game, but I love the building tools. It's lego. I plaid most of it in "pause" :P ). I've not even taken a single look at Sims 3.

Likewise with Sim 4 to 5. Although I did give Sim 5 more of a chance than Sims 3 ever/will/would got.
    What exactly are you talking about? Are you a man from the future talking about new Sims games you will/have pass/ed over, or are you actually from the present and are referring Sim Cities 2000, 3000, 4, and societies?
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sorry, "Sim 4" was an attempt to shorten Simcity 4 with Rush Hour Expansion. ;)

I've still to type up my 150 odd bug list to send to EA. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    This. Nobody (I hope) is saying that EA is trying to force us all to buy DLC, or that all DLC is evil, as that's ridiculous. We just don't want DLC at the expense of mods. Remember NAM? Do I also have to link http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=9440.0 again?
    Well, people make the claim that Skyrim and the like have HUGE modding scenes. If we assume they are correct, then what are you so afraid of? Skyrim uses DLC.
    Oblivion used DLC
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Personally, my only worry is that mods will be limited to being cosmetic in nature, which would then be in conflict with micro DLC type stuff like item packs, which wouldn't seem to be a good idea from a business standpoint. I can't remember how The Sims 3 did this, but I seem to recall that you could buy new items as well as get modded items for the game, so some of my fears could be unfounded. More importantly, I'd love to be able to play around with changing the underlying systems running the simulation, but in a connected world that could quickly lead to balance issues. With the TES games, this isn't an issue at all. If they do allow this type of change, they'd probably only allow it on personal regions. At this point, I'm not sure to what extent your private regions are divorced from the worldwide simulation, so who knows what will happen.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Well, people make the claim that Skyrim and the like have HUGE modding scenes. If we assume they are correct, then what are you so afraid of? Skyrim uses DLC.
    Oblivion used DLC
    The DLC we're seeing already is "the London pack," "the Paris pack."

The vast majority of mods I downloaded for SimCity 4 were Parisians making Haussmann apartments, New Yorkers making New Law tenements and Los Angelinos making Dingbat flats. That's in direct competition, and I do not expect EA to play fair.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

The DLC we're seeing already is "the London pack," "the Paris pack."

The vast majority of mods I downloaded for SimCity 4 were Parisians making Haussmann apartments, New Yorkers making New Law tenements and Los Angelinos making Dingbat flats. That's in direct competition, and I do not expect EA to play fair.
    And the Skyrim and Oblivion and Fallout DLC were (mostly :p) quests and items, the things that modders make. Bethesda "didn't play fair" and the world didn't end (assuming we are all agreeing that there is still a super powerful thriving mod community out there. Because if we are going to say that Bethesda "killed" modding, then there is no point relying on modders to begin with :p).

Competition results in improved quality. If a modder can't make better stuff than EA (even factoring in the price difference), then get the EA stuff. Either way, the consumer wins because of a better product. Aren't you supposed to always be about a better experience for consumers? :p

Even if the DLC "directly competes" with the modders, it doesn't matter. The really hardcore modders will make better quality items. When my sister used to play The Sims, a LOT of the downloadable mods were actually of better quality than the original in-game stuff (and the expansion pack content). Sure EA could do a few things that modders couldn't (mostly scripting limitations), but her houses looked REALLY beautiful (and my condemned deathtraps had lots of nice stuff that could catch on fire :p)

Again, I give you Skyrim and Oblivion. Many people have been bitching saying Dawnguard sucked and that the stuff modders made was better. So use the free stuff, simple as that.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I fear and assume that Nalano is right there. It'd be all good though, if EA would have the brain to do DLC that actually expand the game and thus empower modders (first they'd need to give the tools though). Bethesda does this actually quite well, expanding their own game without making modding impossible.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And the Skyrim and Oblivion and Fallout DLC were (mostly :p) quests and items, the things that modders make. Bethesda "didn't play fair" and the world didn't end.
    Bethesda isn't EA. Also, Bethesda products are notoriously broken and they give out the mod tools as a way of shoring up what are otherwise broken games. I pity anybody who plays a Bethesda game on a console.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Bethesda isn't EA. Also, Bethesda products are notoriously broken and they give out the mod tools as a way of shoring up what are otherwise broken games. I pity anybody who plays a Bethesda game on a console.
    And, if we are to believe modding is necessary to enjoy Sim City, EA/Maxis products are notoriously lacking in content and they give out the mod tools as a way of shoring up what are otherwise empty games.

Seriously, it is the exact same thing unless you are arguing that EA are SO competent that they make modders unnecessary. To which I say? WHo gives a rat's ass? If the DLC is too expensive, don't buy it. There will inevitably be a user-mod for it (there were user-mods for Werewolves in TES3 that even came out AFTER Bloodmoon...).

Network Hub
    Both Sims 2 and 3 have cosmetic and mechanical mods, both community- and EA-made. Official stuff is highly visible, easy to install, and guaranteed* to work with other official products; all of these can be reached from the Sims 3 launcher, for example. As I recall, cosmetic stuff from the community can also be downloaded via the launcher, although it's curated by EA, so there's some editorial oversight there. If you want script mods and whatnot, you have to turn to the Nexus, etc. for add-ons that may or may not be compatible with all of the official stuff (some are updated frequently, others are abandoned). It would seem that EA is okay with community competition because they see the plug-and-play attraction of official DLC as value enough for a good chunk of their audience.

Could the perma-online nature of SimCity change this? Possibly, if they want to go the Diablo III route and claim that unauthorized modifications would "unbalance" the game. Though they may take a page from Valve and have a way for users to submit cosmetic content ideas, which would then later be sold as DLC.

*85% of new product will work without issue, 10% will unbalance or invalidate previous content, and 5% will be broken. Additionally, at least 7% of pre-existing content will develop bugs or become unusable. A patch will fix most of these problems a week or two later, although 2% new problems will arise due to further inconsistencies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    We've gotten platitudes about mods thus far, but nobody's COME OUT AND SAID anything concrete. I don't believe that they haven't made those plans yet.

I don't blame them, I guess. Bad news and webrage don't sell pre-orders.

Cara Ellison did a preview.

Quote Originally Posted by R to the P to the S
    It’s in your interests, as PC gamers, to participate in this game and its multiplayer options, because it is entertaining, solid, engaging in its systems and interfaces. It is a pleasurable thing to take part in, and I think really adds something to the gaming landscape. But are you willing to have EA arbitrate when and for how long you can play this after you have paid your money? I think only you as a consumer can answer that. That is the position they are putting us in.
    Origin, Perma-Online DRM, MicroDLC...

I'm out.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, the comparison here shouldn't be with an offline game like Skyrim, but an always-online one like Diablo 3. And *that's* a scary proposition for the modding scene.

Banned
    I suspect the SimCity DLC will end up as EA's venture into providing user generated content in the same way Valve does with DOTA.

I would be in favor of that.

In fact, monetizing great mods would be great for their creators. Some of the SC4 guys deserve that, certainly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Still not sure what to do about this. It sounds like a great game save for all the server-side nonsense which doesn't need to exist. So what do I do?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Still not sure what to do about this. It sounds like a great game save for all the server-side nonsense which doesn't need to exist. So what do I do?
    Take a stand with the allies of gaming! There are plenty more great games to play.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I'll either get it from a keystore, or just wait until it's a price that I think is acceptable. The online-drm isn't a dealbreaker for me, it just means they'll get less of my money.
    steam: sketch

The "preview" written on this very site for it is perhaps the worst thing I've ever read here.

"It’s in your interests, as PC gamers, to participate in this game and its multiplayer options, because it is entertaining, solid, engaging in its systems and interfaces."

"It's in your interests"? Is the game a group of rough-looking men with clubs trying to sell you "protection"? Did someone let the EA PR department write the piece for them and RPS just posted it without reading it?
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    The "preview" written on this very site for it is perhaps the worst thing I've ever read here.

"It’s in your interests, as PC gamers, to participate in this game and its multiplayer options, because it is entertaining, solid, engaging in its systems and interfaces."

"It's in your interests"? Is the game a group of rough-looking men with clubs trying to sell you "protection"? Did someone let the EA PR department write the piece for them and RPS just posted it without reading it?
    You strategically truncated Ellison's point. She continued:

But are you willing to have EA arbitrate when and for how long you can play this after you have paid your money? I think only you as a consumer can answer that. That is the position they are putting us in.