Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    You strategically truncated Ellison's point. She continued:
    That's an incredibly weak walk-back statement for what was practically a command. Easily the worst thing I've ever seen on this site.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

I think you're overreacting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wonder when Blizzard will implement their Marketplace to sell user created mods in Starcraft 2. Been in the works for a few years now.

Would work great for SimCity. Keeps people interested, EA gets a cut without investing into new content beyond maybe better creation tools. Since Counterstrike sold copies of Half Life, still saddens me to see developers not do this more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    You strategically truncated Ellison's point. She continued:
    The whole paragraph reads "I think all PC gamers should do this, but it's up to you," which is fine as far as it goes. I'm just totally against her take on the situation, and kinda resent her for it. Were I writing it, I'd probably go the opposite route, to say "they're forcing you to eat a shit sandwich, in the hopes you'll taste the nougat."

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    I wonder when Blizzard will implement their Marketplace to sell user created mods in Starcraft 2. Been in the works for a few years now.

Would work great for SimCity. Keeps people interested, EA gets a cut without investing into new content beyond maybe better creation tools. Since Counterstrike sold copies of Half Life, still saddens me to see developers not do this more.
    You make it sound like the devs are responsible for mods. It's usually the other way around: They're responsible for suppressing them.

I, for one, do not want my mods behind a paywall, especially if that money goes towards the people who deign to argue that I should be happy they're letting mods be made at all.
    Last edited by Nalano; 08-02-2013 at 02:35 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    The "preview" written on this very site for it is perhaps the worst thing I've ever read here.

"Itís in your interests, as PC gamers, to participate in this game and its multiplayer options, because it is entertaining, solid, engaging in its systems and interfaces."

"It's in your interests"? Is the game a group of rough-looking men with clubs trying to sell you "protection"? Did someone let the EA PR department write the piece for them and RPS just posted it without reading it?
    I don't have as strong a feeling over it, but it did read like PR over reporting. But I don't blame the writer, it's probably the EA towers that have that effect on you when you visit. :P

Eh, reading it I'd say the paragraph read "There's a great game here that would be a benefit for any gamer to play but it's bogged down in EA ludicrousness so you'll have to decide if it's worth it."

Her preview and those others that I have read have convinced me that there is a great game to be had but have done nothing to allay the concern that the small size will be a limiting factor or that the lack of elevated terrain will be a bit more boring. I've also seen conflicting reports of controlling the zoning types - rich, poor etc - based on roads. But most importantly, no one really seems in favour of the force connectivity and most seem concerned about the lifespan of the game that relies on EA servers.

So basically I'm still pretty conflicted. I want the industry to know I want a Sim City game but I want them to know I want a complete single player experience with the longevity I have always expected.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    It didn't read like a PR piece to me. It sounded like a preview of a game, she focused on the gameplay features fairly well and most the coverage does seem to imply there is a good game engine in the new Sim City. It's the other EA stuff which is the problem it seems.

There are some videos that shows the currently gameplay out there? Like a let's play..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    It didn't read like a PR piece to me. It sounded like a preview of a game, she focused on the gameplay features fairly well and most the coverage does seem to imply there is a good game engine in the new Sim City. It's the other EA stuff which is the problem it seems.
    Didn't you read the rules? Every single review of an EA product must spend the entire time telling you how bad it is and why you should never buy it. Doesn't matter if it it's a fun game, it's from EA, clearly it isn't fun. This is unbiased reporting.

I got that very memo just the other day, soldant! Seriously, I thought it was a pretty good hands on. Gave me a lot of info about the game that I needed but also pointed out the issues. That is was overall positive about the game is a nice thing.

When somebody starts using the same terms a prosecutor or lawyer would when you're being accused of a crime in a game review there is something horribly wrong. Language matters people.

And as for the preview content, don't forget there wasn't a word about the day-one DLC and planned microstransations. Will the upcoming review include those?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    When somebody starts using the same terms a prosecutor or lawyer would when you're being accused of a crime in a game review there is something horribly wrong. Language matters people.

And as for the preview content, don't forget there wasn't a word about the day-one DLC and planned microstransations. Will the upcoming review include those?
    Bugger if I know, but considering everyone and their mother has been bitching about that crap for ages, I for one LIKE actual discussions of the gameplay.

Because, gasp, shock, and amazement, this is a game, not just a vessel for hate. And some people are interested in the gameplay.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

A game which is purposely crippled before release so they can sell you pieces of it after they've sold you the game for $60.

Nope, that's not a reason for skepticism at all.

A game which is purposely crippled before release so they can sell you pieces of it after they've sold you the game for $60.

Nope, that's not a reason for skepticism at all.
    And yes, you have every right to not buy it if you feel it isn't worth the money. But don't throw a hissy fit if a preview focuses more on gameplay than controversy.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    True. I guess I'm so use to games getting the mess around, the real gems that drop through (X-Com possibly, Simcity5 again possibly), seem almost unreal. :P

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And yes, you have every right to not buy it if you feel it isn't worth the money. But don't throw a hissy fit if a preview focuses more on gameplay than controversy.
    Not according to the previewer because apparently it's not in my "best interests" to do that.

Not according to the previewer because apparently it's not in my "best interests" to do that.
    Oh quit the whining. As has been pointed out REPEATEDLY, here is the full paragraph

’m still cynical. EA have shut down servers for Mercs 2 and LOTR, Fifa and The Sims 2 in favour of newer or more populated titles. Here is the catch: this game is good. It’s in your interests, as PC gamers, to participate in this game and its multiplayer options, because it is entertaining, solid, engaging in its systems and interfaces. It is a pleasurable thing to take part in, and I think really adds something to the gaming landscape. But are you willing to have EA arbitrate when and for how long you can play this after you have paid your money? I think only you as a consumer can answer that. That is the position they are putting us in.

In other words "It is a really good game and I think you should play it. But there are also a lot of issues with this because of EA, so make your own choice"

And as I point out yet again because you're really bad at reading apparently, that's really a weak walk-back statement for something a lawyer would say.

Language matters. If you want to say "It is a really good game and I think you should play it. But there are also a lot of issues with this because of EA, so make your own choice" you would say exactly that.

Do I need to use other languages? Are you having trouble reading English?

And as I point out yet again because you're really bad at reading apparently, that's really a weak walk-back statement for something a lawyer would say.

Language matters. If you want to say "It is a really good game and I think you should play it. But there are also a lot of issues with this because of EA, so make your own choice" you would say exactly that.

Do I need to use other languages? Are you having trouble reading English?
    This isn't a court of law...

The writer said what the writer wanted to say, simple as that. The writer REALLY likes the game and seems to feel it is worth putting up with the crap for. CLEARLY you do not. So rather than complain and scream that they are evil lawyers and this is the worst thing you have ever read and all that other stupid crap, go make your own blog and write your own article about how you feel, rather than try to pretend an OPINION PIECE is wrong.

Also: Never watch a Total Biscuit video. You'll have a conniption and probably go out and murder somebody.

Obscure Node
    Shooop I think you are failing to understand that not everybody is as bothered about this as you. Your view is valid and you can get as worked up as you want but don't expect that you will be able to convince everybody else.