Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Did anyone play the saturday beta? I know it was just a server test but was the version of the game different in any major way?
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeekyFun View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying this out, but I'm assuming, sadly, that I'm likely to be disappointed. My favourite Sim City is 2000, and I'd really hoped for a nice looking version of that with the slicker UI of modern games, but it seems from the comments/info that they're not heading that way. Seems a shame.
    Perhaps not, but it's the most fun I've had with a Sim City since 2000

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Did anyone play the saturday beta? I know it was just a server test but was the version of the game different in any major way?
    It is this Saturday coming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Looking at this new game and some of the old game on lets play i have to say I'm really looking forward to it, the new UI and the way its done with the simulations really appeal to me and it looks fun to build things, unlike the others like Sim City 4 and 3000 which I played which was rather very clunky and clugy and sucked any enthusiasm of building a big city. This looks quite easy to build a big city and be proud of how it looks.

I am worried about the always online not because of future proofing but because its a real pain since of internet going down and sometimes just wanting to play a game without logging in and that shit but its not to much of an issue since i have pretty stable internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Instead, we get something right in the middle, where it doesn't have the tools to make a really fun City Of Tomorrow, but doesn't have the simulation to create anything particularly compelling from a planning standpoint.
    This.

Despite this new 'agent based' model they are using, it doesn't provide enough detail to actually make the simulation aspect detailed enough to make meaningiful tweaks. It's still all about where you put the police station. Just now we get to see tiny police-people on the street.

The new modelling system allows me to see what's going on, sometimes in great detail. That's great. But the extra resolution of information is just window dressing. I don't need to see my police-people dealing with a bank robbery if I don't have the tools available to play chief constable. It's pretty. Sure. But that's all.

The closest it gets are bus stops for school buses. I can follow those yellow buses about and make sure that they're picking up kids. but all my tools are are bus stops. I get no control over routing or which catchment areas schools cover. So, again, whilst it's lovely seeing my little yellow buses go about, that information is useless. All bus stops do is provide 'area of effect' and that extra agent-based stuff just provides information I can't act on.

The one thing I thought this new SimCity might provide is a new, tight focus. Make it basically a managerial game rather than a SimCity. Basically ThemeCity.

It's not. It's a SimCity game where all of the high-level tools that rely upon simpler modelling (for processor and memory sake) and scale to make amazing cities have gone. To be replaced with a much more fine-grained simulation, but with no added tools to actually deal with, respond to and make the resolution of information you get from the new model meaningful in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    It'd be nice if they just patched SC4 to run on modern machines, and maybe added mod-loader-style functionality. That would be enough for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    It'd be nice if they just patched SC4 to run on modern machines, and maybe added mod-loader-style functionality. That would be enough for me.
    The crashes I get are usually after a rapid succession of zooms and overlay changes. The game is aging, to be sure. Still, save early, save often.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    http://www.simcity.com/en_US/media/v...igley-qa-video

New-ish video features tete-a-tete with Ocean Quigley and Will Wright. The desperate call to ethos is a bit annoying, and their conversation seems stilted to me, with Quigley trying to pay compliments to the previous games, and Wright trying to find things to talk about. Not exactly a hard-hitting endorsement, but at least I believe that Wright wasn't reading off cue cards. I can imagine people are making hay about Quigley's comment about there being two kinds of SimCity players: the simulationists and the recreationists; I like that he's in the latter camp and is directing the development.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by X_kot View Post
    I can imagine people are making hay about Quigley's comment about there being two kinds of SimCity players: the simulationists and the recreationists
    Which isn't exactly wrong. The fallacy is thinking that these two traits don't overlap in a major way. Diminish the quality of one aspect and the game loses appeal to the majority of your playerbase.

Network Hub
    Good point. How well do you think the previous entries managed that balance?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Strange, I've honestly never had a SC4 crash.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by X_kot View Post
    Good point. How well do you think the previous entries managed that balance?
    Looking through the various sc4 modding sites, there's a huge focus on purely aesthetic mods. There are a few very popular simulation mods like the Network Addon Mod, and a few popular mods that effectively disable tedious game elements. So there seems to be quite a balance.

From my personal experience, SC3 and 4 have a good balance. It is easy to build a small working town with good cashflow; I can spend my time on making it pretty or just watching it develop. I can ignore many simulation aspects for a long time and build huge cities. And then if I want to, I can go deep and optimize roads for pathing, try to minimize the distance people have to travel, build an intricate network of public transportation, tweak all kinds of little knobs and levers to make my city work better. I don't have to though.

I think Cities XL has an imbalance. It is pretty to look at, but I found it to be lacking in the simulation aspect, making it feel rather dull.
    Last edited by Batolemaeus; 24-02-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Network Hub
    The new one reminds me a lot of Caesar/Cleopatra/etc., just replacing the walkers with magical pipes under the ground.

It's gotten to the point where I can't even play SC4 anymore. The crashing. The teeth grinding.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    It's gotten to the point where I can't even play SC4 anymore. The crashing. The teeth grinding.
    Irony: When I save every half hour or so, SC4 goes without a fail state for eight hours or more. When I forget to save for two hours, kerplunk.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Sometimes saving is the thing that crashes it for me. I can't deal with that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It happened to me again.

I'd just filled up my first whole segment into a nice little city and was just getting used to the RCI demands, had a lot of nice little things going on and was about to go start a new city and try out some of the other forms of layouts, roads, transports etc etc when I went to save and "LOL NO".

All my work was gone.

Network Hub
    You can play completely single player (albeit while connected to the internet) if you choose. That's how I would likely play it.
    this is the sad part of this game. internet connection is not guaranteed to work 100 percent so there would definitely some downtime for this game if internet's not working.
    this is a dumb idea for sure.

Just don't say any of this stuff on the subreddit or you'll be shouted down and voted away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    watched Jesse Cox video on SC and I have a question:

is it easy game? Cause the dude pissed almost all of the money on massive, expensive road, was almost bankrupt and after putting few zones he managed to make thousands of simdollars in matter of minutes allowing him to build wind turbine, more roads and other stuff.

if you've done it in SC3/4 it would mean game over. spending 90% of your cash on road network before you even put a first building is road to complete bankruptcy.