Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Just read the Ars article and the game is not sounding so good. And boy oh boy those cities are small :( see end of page 2 ):

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've only been skim-reading the occasional post/article on SC5, but is there anything pointing to it not just being CitiesXL with a SimCity label on it?
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    It might have some problems, but based on the beta I played, it's still much more compelling than CitiesXL.

I find the 'social class' (or whatever they call it) system in that game heinously bad.

Activated Node
    Ars Technica review seems very preoccupied with poking and prodding the two or three features they missed and not really experimenting with anything that's been added or changed for the better. I find it sort of funny the quotes are part this game is too haaaard (from die-hard simcity vets!) when most of the other reviewers were worried about it being too easy and then pleasantly surprised. Add in the complaining about no financial charts (there are more data views and charts than in Simcity 4) and how I stop zombies/how I tutorial (they die in the day, your cops can shoot them at night).

If you have a fundamental problem with anything that can appear to be always online DRM (which the multiplayer in simcity definitely has as one of its functions) then you're going to hate Simcity full stop. I certainly wish there was an option for offline singleplayer because I know that's important to a lot of people. If you plan on playing multiplayer with your friends, or if you made it through the Diablo 3 launch that essentially just pushed the release date back two days and survived, it looks like there's a really great game to be found. I've only played the time limited demo/beta, but it definitely captures the charm and complexity of prior sim cities.

Here's another review, just so we're not all relying on Ars Technica:
    http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

Last edited by Fiatil; 04-03-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The Ars Technica review doesn't seem great.

They seem to boil everything back down to "it's too small".

To me the Ars(e) article seemed like angsty bitching and moaning. Sure they may have had a couple of valid complaints there but it kind'a got lost in the dramaqueen behaviour. They didn't even seem to grasp basic concepts of the new game, like how industry products are actually products that need to be sold at commercial to sims. That's probably the reason for the said income fluctuations, RCI inbalance which made industries bankrupt. And seriously zombie outbreak? As far as I know that takes care of itself when day dawns. GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER. The pictures didn't look like they were teenagers but the text sure read like it.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

I really wish you could disable the 'fantastical' disasters (fantasters?) I'm fine with fires and earthquakes, floods if they're in there, but Godzilla, zombies and aliens?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiatil View Post
    Here's another review, just so we're not all relying on Ars Technica:
    http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630
    Never trust Polygon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    @Smashbox
    Yeah that's wild stuff. This is the first I heard.
    I think it would be really cool if those disasters were extremely rare (like 1 in 100 plays) and no one ever spoiled that they were there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You mean you cannot turn them off? Your kidding right? This is Simville, for sure if it's so.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    That's probably the reason for the said income fluctuations, RCI inbalance which made industries bankrupt.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking (and if he's doing a lot of global market trading, prices of goods on the global market may be fluctuating as well). And I don't understand why he's panicking over a 5k-7k/hour fluctuation in income. Those are solid amounts of income and would indicate a fairly robust city. If he was fluctuating between 7k/hr income to a 5k/hr loss, that would be a reason to panic.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Never trust Polygon.
    Here's another one, that sounds a whole lot like it! http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...ore-electricit They even have a follow up where they say the whole review could be BS if the DRM winds up messing everything up, so everyone wins!

Obviously the issue here is that all reviews are terrible, not one particular site. Watch some videos, hope for an eventual demo, and see for yourself if you've got doubts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'm going to use my better judgement and hold out for a big sale or a demo and just play SimCity 4 until then.

There's a lot of the SimCity 5 game that I like, the modular buildings, the zoning, the bendy roads (I hate your horribly efficient american system, it's ugly and efficient!), the idea of having towns be mining towns or high industry towns etc. But the business model and the entry cost are putting me off buying into it just yet.

Last edited by Smashbox; 04-03-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    From that Kotaku article, the one thing I agree with that I've read there for over a year. :P
    "When I destroyed everything I had built in order to start over, the effect on Totilo's town was devastating. Without my nuclear reactor he had no power. Businesses closed. People left town. His city plunged into an economic nosedive he couldn't pull out of. He wound up abandoning the city and moving on to a new region."
    This. A thousand times this. Die EA, die a slow or quick death. I don't care. As long as it's painful or you realize your mistakes, just die.

Network Hub
    Really? I think that's kind of awesome. Cities don't exist in a vacuum, so being able to effect the regional economy in that way is incredibly clever. And maybe Fahey should've realised that since he was selling power to Totilo that destroying his entire city would be a dick move.

Unless that wasn't the quote you meant to quote, because your surrounding post doesn't actually make any sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Really? You love it when someone comes in and destroys your CD collection? DVD collection? Games collection? Oh, it's ok if it's a Sim game though, as that's got no value and is just a "game"? Likewise, if someone kicks up a fuss in regional play, I'd not want their fallout effecting my game.

I'd stick to SP in the game, but the focus being on MP/Social elements and the lack of offline play, it's rather a non-option.

I don't mind MP games, but that's not the draw for me. I like to have an offline mode for relaxing.

"Cities don't exist in a vacuum", they also don't exist on paper. It's a game, not real life. I want to simulate the design, gameplay etc. I'd like to be able to reload (games allow this, or do cards/chess now come with DRM?).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Really? You love it when someone comes in and destroys your CD collection? DVD collection? Games collection? Oh, it's ok if it's a Sim game though, as that's got no value and is just a "game"? Likewise, if someone kicks up a fuss in regional play, I'd not want their fallout effecting my game.
    So play in a private region and claim all the cities yourself. And yes, it is okay if it's a Sim game because all you've lost is time.

I just finished watching a one and a half hour preview of this game (by TotalBiscuit) and have ultimately decided not to purchase it. By all accounts Sim City 4 seems to be superior game at this point. My EA boycott perseveres XD
    Last edited by ado; 05-03-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Really? I think that's kind of awesome. Cities don't exist in a vacuum, so being able to effect the regional economy in that way is incredibly clever. And maybe Fahey should've realised that since he was selling power to Totilo that destroying his entire city would be a dick move.
    Last I heard disasters can't be turned off outside of the sandbox mode. Some dude getting hit by a meteor can destroy other games. It doesn't seem fun at all.
    The threat of perma-death and the forced Ironman mode are really shitty. You can't even fuck around, safe in the knowledge that you have a save to rely on. A slip of the mouse turns into an expensive mistake. There's way too much pressure for me to be able to enjoy it.